+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Statement from Board

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Credit for wanting to communicate, but it did have a 'lady doth protest too much' feel about it and might have been copied and pasted from various posts on NCM.

So Chris, Alex and Richard want to deviate from the normal actions of football clubs (when looking at a sub-Fullarton record and precipitous fall from 6th to 16th). Their prerogative. As long as they know that supporters and players, both present and potential won't stop acting as they always do by voting with their feet.
    Even before the statement I was in two minds whether to go today. If it moved the needle at all it is in the negative direction.
    From what I hear some of the players were a bit taken aback at the statement
    They aren't idiots and know that bad luck has little to do with our decline since opposition teams tumbled how to play against us

Lets see what players are signed in the close season. This will be a good indicator, as to whether they fully understood how bad we have been this season...

I have mixed feelings about the statement.

I like that our owners are taking a sort of detached, unemotional approach rather than making knee-jerk decisions and getting stuck in an endless loop of instability. I also agree that our luck seemed to run out earlier this year, and a lot of the games we've lost under Maynard could have gone the other way. But in a results-driven business, there's only so long you can blame luck for your problems.

The outside view of Notts County is that we're stats obsessed to the point of being blinkered to reality, and this statement pretty much aligns with that view point. You can look at 'metrics' all you want and find things that will justify your philosophy and decisions, but ultimately, there's only one 'metric' that matters - the league table - and we're currently falling way short of what the fans and owners expect.

Next season is huge in terms of fan morale and overall support for the current regime. If we keep Maynard and start badly, things are looking bleak. On the other hand, there's a chance that things will click and we'll do OK next season, without having to shake things up too much. One thing is clear to virtually everyone else: the defence isn't good enough. If you want to blame the entire team for our defensive woes, that just shows that the entire team and approach isn't good enough. Something needs to change to stop the defensive rot, and it's more than just a few tweaks.

Bold move by the owners. They seem like people who fully trust their process and have conviction in their decisions. Fair play, but they're rolling the dice with perhaps the most important factor of a successful club - the fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    That’s a good take and if sustainability was all they talked about it would be fair enough. It’s the arguing that night is day when it comes to what we’ve seen on the pitch that I think most people are objecting to.

Every team we’ve left to face has something to play for, if we lose all 5 or similar then the statement will be seen even less favourably.
    Not to set the bar ridiculously low but what I’ve seen this season is head and shoulders above of what I’ve seen under previous ownerships at times. I think we’ve been a bit spoilt the last couple of years or so, we’re use to winning, it’s turned into a mid table season, something we have rarely experienced of late, some highs, some lows.

Quote Originally Posted by Thordardaughter View Post
    Stats certainly don’t win games ! Do they only look at stats for our attacking football ? I would love to see their stats for our defence because apart from possession I almost guarantee they’re awful !
    I'd imagine if someone was able to get the metrics for time spent without the ball divided by goals conceded we'd be the worst by quite some distance.

Premier League are considering scrapping FFP and replacing it with a Luxury Tax, meaning no more points deductions and a financial penalty instead, which won't trouble rich owners so much. Apparently 17 of the 20 PL clubs have said they want the change.
    If that change is made then Championship clubs will presumably soon be pushing for a similar rule in the EFL.

Well that’s surprised me and I have to say very dissmisive of the real situation we all can see and have commented on for the last year in regards recruitment defensively, what concerns me is if results continue the discontent from supporters at matches may get more unpleasant for SM, the brothers and the players. What it does do is heap more pressure onto SM and the players. Not impressed at all with that.

Damn lies and statistics ! So LW used all our good luck up early on and we’ve been unlucky in the last 14 games with a record of 2-3-9 under SM since LW. One of those wins was against Bradford who were absolutely dire and on the day could have beaten by any good Sunday League team. And four of the defeats were by two clear goals. So not that close for luck to save us.

I share the sentiments of many previous posters. Having waited for some kind of response from our owners after almost a third of a season, which I don’t think is unreasonable as a supporter, we’ve been served up a summary saying statistically we haven’t been too far off and with a bit more luck we could have been a contender. Have they not watched the Weakest Link. Statistically outside of the Premier League we are the second highest goal scorers but also the second highest goals conceded, 80-79. Take 40 off the second number and we’d have Mansfield’s record and be in 2nd. So a no-brainier as to where the weakest link is and what the remedy is for improvement.

It would have been nice to have seen more sentiment in the message to show more of a personal connect with supporters and kept it simple. A bit like “We know things haven’t gone as well as we’d hoped under Stuart’s management and we share your frustrations. We are strongly behind Stuart and his staff and are convinced he is the man to lead us forward on the pitch. We’ll all be working hard off the pitch to improve the playing squad and staff to ensure we can challenge for honours next season. We hope you can stick with us and continue to give the team your full support for the rest of the season and beyond. Many thanks for your support”.

I feel much better now I’ve put their update through the Google Translate app for Robotic Statistical Passionless Fobbing Off Jargon to Simple Football fan language.

L2 table based on all games played since 18th January 2024, the day Stuart Maynard took charge

Too many on here giving knee-jerk reactions, the Bros are the most successful owners Notts have had in years, we are moving forwards albeit not at the pace most fans would like but we are in a good place ready to sprint on next season with the right recruitment. Trust in the Bros, they won’t let Notts down. COYP’s

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast