+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Statement from Board

Did recognise defence was the problem not attack said the recruitment would enable Notts to go for promotion next year..Seemed happy with the financial position and steps are in place to increase money from commercial deals

Not particularly impressed. Disappointed really as it’s just one big “we know what we’re doing and we’ll stick fingers in our ears because we can” kind of statement.
    Will read even worse if we get hammered tomorrow. Don’t get me wrong, would love for us to win last five games and put some positivity back, but that statement puts a real dampener on it.
    Metrics don’t change the rubbish we’ve been watching for past few months.
    Metrics don’t defend with commitment.

Stupid timing. Should have let tomorrow be done first before they stick fingers up to the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That's how I read it. We were lucky early on, unlucky later on but what we're doing is right.

Didn't say anything of substance to convince me.
    This.

So, if we were aiming for promotion, either directly or through the play offs and we were sixth with a fair smattering of luck, why didn't we address properly the areas where we had been lucky. Or did we do that just by ensuring they didn't remain lucky?

It's not that we are necessarily a bad side, although we are as one-dimensional (albeit differently and more entertainingly) as a Steve Thompson outfit, but we have become an object of ridicule for our 'defending' (and I use the term loosely) and that was the case before the Jan transfer window shut. The brothers have mainly done a fantastic job but have they ever gone into work the next Monday or Wednesday morning and had the absolute p!$$ ripped out of them on a weekly basis? Probably not. Arrogant or aloof or both?

I'm sure some will understand.

Last edited by SwalePie; 05-04-2024 at 08:50 PM.

The defence has been absolute crap all season, virtually every game there's been some farcical mistakes, usually more than once, are they seriously saying we've been unlucky. I don't hate Maynard like some fans clearly do and I've said before I actually feel quite sorry for the bloke but if he's staying beyond the end of this season then we need to see a few wins and we need to see that he can coach players to be better like LW did.

That statement looks like it has been worded to make Maynard look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post
    That statement looks like it has been worded to make Maynard look good.
    Both the wording and the timing of the statement are a bit strange to me.

It would have been better to do what they usually do, and say nothing.

We haven’t managed to change our defensive frailties but to say the club haven’t addressed it is wrong.
    We signed a third GK, a highly rated defender from the Championship and a combative midfielder. Unfortunately, only Robertson has improved the starting 11 IMO.
    A lot of fans won’t like that statement because the only thing they want to hear is Maynard is sacked.
    For me personally, I’ll accept the stats are telling us we aren’t performing much differently to earlier in the season, because in the main I agree. I don’t think our performances have changed that much.
    However, good performances are ultimately irrelevant if good results don’t go with it.
    I don’t think they’ll be able to make another statement saying the same thing.

Sounds like they're happy to stay in League 2 for several years, do they even understand the size of the club and it's history. This season we have been unlucky against Wrexham and Stockport that's it really but I do worry because pissing about in the bottom half of League 2 is simply not sufficient for a club the size of Notts County.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Sounds like they're happy to stay in League 2 for several years, do they even understand the size of the club and it's history. This season we have been unlucky against Wrexham and Stockport that's it really but I do worry because pissing about in the bottom half of League 2 is simply not sufficient for a club the size of Notts County.
    I don’t think it sounds like that at all. Why would any owners, who are bankrolling a club, be happy to see them plateau in the bottom half of league 2.
    I’m pretty sure they understand the size of the club. In my 35 years of supporting them, they’re the first owners to regularly get 10k+ through the gate.
    Don’t confuse calmness and patience with a lack of ambition.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast