+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Statement from Board

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    We had the luck that gave us what we deserved v Cheaterfield, and also against Boring Wood. Even Scotts penalty was, as is any penalty right down the middle, somewhat lucky. Both results could easily have gone against us and denied us what clearly over the season we (think we) deserved.

Our frailties showed in both matches and were only overcome by brilliance the other end. However if one wants to look at defensive stupidity then check out the highlights of Everton v Burnley yesterday; it's only a couple of minutes and well worth a look/laugh.
    Thank you Old Pie. You're first paragraph couldn't have said what I meant, better.

For those suggesting Chesterfield were the better side in both 90 and extra time. I would suggest they watch the game again.

Don’t get me wrong. It felt like that at the game, particularly as we were always chasing the game. But watched in the cold light of day, in the 90 we edged it. In extra time particularly the second half we were absolutely all over then. They were dead on their feet.

What that’s got to do with the thread though. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    For those suggesting Chesterfield were the better side in both 90 and extra time. I would suggest they watch the game again.

Don’t get me wrong. It felt like that at the game, particularly as we were always chasing the game. But watched in the cold light of day, in the 90 we edged it. In extra time particularly the second half we were absolutely all over then. They were dead on their feet.

What that’s got to do with the thread though. Who knows.
    Because the statement goes on about metrics and luck. The metrics show what you observed, we were the better team. Regardless of that those metrics did not translate into balls into the back of their net, nor did they address how easily we let balls into our net (in both play off games and even against York, the last game of normal season).

And even if they were dead on their feet (why then didn't we finish them off in extra time?) we still needed lady luck on our side to win the penalty shoot out.

So the posts are in response to the statement and even it seems to your view on the game.

All very exciting stuff but if we'd won 4-0 then thumbs up to the metrics.

However what was there for all to see, defensively, has still not been addressed, metrics or no metrics (or statistics and damned lies).

I thought we were awful against both BW and Chesterfield. We were incredibly lucky to win those two games. But of course, over the season, we deserved promotion, and the games we lost all had an element of bad luck to them, especially the Daggers game at home, which is easily the most ridiculously game I've seen in terms of not getting what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    Are some people on here 'text' blind. I NEVER said that Chesterfield were better than us over the season - show me where I said that. FFS!

For the final time, in my opinion, on the day, at Wembley, for 90 minutes, plus the extra time, I thought Chesterfield were the better team.

I'm not interested in BBC stats, I'm not interested in how those at the game saw it, I'm not interested in sentiment. I've watched the full game about four or five times and I'm not a ball watcher. I look for other stuff when watching football and I felt Chesterfield were better.
    Read what I said too go watch the game again.

I never mentioned stats we bossed the game apart from the nightmare first 10 minutes.

There was no luck involved it was top class prep to spot a weakness of the keeper at near post and where he stood.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I thought we were awful against both BW and Chesterfield.
    That's often said on here but it's just not true. I suggest you watch the Boreham Wood game again, while not at our best we were very worthy winners. We dominated the game and had far more chances than them, and if Ruben hadn't have had a shocker we would have hammered them. The final was closer, again we were below par and I thought we got a bit lucky while watching at Wembley, but when I watched the full replay stress-free I thought we were at least as good as Chesterfield over the 120 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That's often said on here but it's just not true. I suggest you watch the Boreham Wood game again, while not at our best we were very worthy winners. We dominated the game and had far more chances than them, and if Ruben hadn't have had a shocker we would have hammered them. The final was closer, again we were below par and I thought we got a bit lucky while watching at Wembley, but when I watched the full replay stress-free I thought we were at least as good as Chesterfield over the 120 minutes.
    Totally agree with this especially with the final. I came away thinking we’d been fortunate to win, but talking to some Chesterfield fans staying at the same place as me that evening they felt we fully deserved the win. This was confirmed when I watched the full match replay.

Quote Originally Posted by CamPie View Post
    Totally agree with this especially with the final. I came away thinking we’d been fortunate to win, but talking to some Chesterfield fans staying at the same place as me that evening they felt we fully deserved the win. This was confirmed when I watched the full match replay.
    Those play-off games are a classic case of Jimmy's 'the best team wins and the rest is gossip'

The Boreham Wood game was an all-time classic. We were chasing all game really, therefore on top. They could've killed us on counters.
    At those times, in any team sport, you need your best players to step up. It's no coincidence Baldwin and Jones had to be the ones. They're the players who could well be playing at a higher level than us next year.

The Chesterfield game was like one of those nightmares, where time's running out but you're helpless to do anything. In games like that, the game comes down to force of will. I thought we edged it, but the ball was going in their net twice one way or the other, and winning a penalty shoot out is a skill (mostly mental) in itself. Posts saying we didn't deserve it are wrong, and just gossip as per Jimmy.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    The Boreham Wood game was an all-time classic. We were chasing all game really, therefore on top. They could've killed us on counters.
    It certainly was an all-time classic, I vividly remember leaving the game with tears of joy in my eyes for the first time ever! But we were only chasing the game because Ruben missed a couple of sitters early on and then a penalty. How anyone can say we didn't deserve to beat Boreham Wood is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    It certainly was an all-time classic, I vividly remember leaving the game with tears of joy in my eyes for the first time ever! But we were only chasing the game because Ruben missed a couple of sitters early on and then a penalty. How anyone can say we didn't deserve to beat Boreham Wood is beyond me.
    Stunning game, can understand the tears. After that, we were going up.
    The pressure probably got to Ruben that day. The gods shined on him at Wembley though, and his penalty in the shoot out was all down to him.

I remember writing on here about Boreham Wood weeks before the tie with them was set. I even remember a row with CBP about it! I knew in my bones that our escape from non-league went thru Boreham Wood!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast