+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Relegation whose to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    So our only choice is a hypothetical situation that hasn’t happened for the 7 seasons we have had in the championship over the last 12 years or a situation caused by failure. Coming bottom of the league at whatever level, is failure. Last season we stayed up mainly because of the culture that PW (not a perfect manager but a successful one) had created at the club and the way he started that season. To be fair to MT he got us over the line for safety, we were not £10m in debt then!!! What hit us hard is l2 level infrastructure, awful back room staff appointments and shocking recruitment, not a balanced squad too many end of career players. MT also started to believe his own hype and set about throwing the baby with the bath water. Now whether he should have gone or not is up for debate, what hurt us was our lined up replacement went back on his word and the chairman and executive made a right mess of replacing MT, then we didn’t back LR in the window only signing loans on the last day of the window, whilst sending at least 5 players out, a decision to save money and hope for the best. PW in 2016/17 was backed in the January window including Carlton morris and semi brought in. The fact that we can’t even train when we get a lot of rain does not help at all. So for me the choice is not a made up option 1 or option 2 but having people at the club that can lead and manage under the constraints we do have, this level of failure is not a last minute goal relegation like last time it is caused by a couple lack of quality at the top of the club and at board level.
    Good summary Derby.
    The only thing I would say is that I doubt anyone "went back on his word" as such. More likely TS/RS had a preferred candidate but whoever it was, just didn't fancy the job.
    After that, chaos ensued ☹️

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    What would you sooner have , championship football and £10m of debt ? .

Or

Relegation to League One and financially stable ? .

Nowt to do with the apportion of blame but more to do with reality .
    Easy 10 million in debt, 9 million tv receipt puts most of that out of the equation. Whereas 3 million in league one isn’t going to help much if you’ve even halved a wage bill from the championship and lost out on gate money

No brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Relegation was pretty much inevitable by the time of the January transfer window and potential signings would have known that. Because of that it would have taken very large sums of money to entice high quality signings in the numbers that would be required to have even a chance of turning the season around.

The season was lost with the departures and signings that took place during Taylor's reign. Whether Taylor himself is wholly responsible for that is something that I can't comment on.
    It was always going to be difficult for anyone following Paul Warne , I know he had his critics but he's got Derby County looking as though they are going back to the championship with more or less the same players who didn't even make the play offs last season .

Taylor did well at Exeter on small resources with an eye for developing young talent and a pleasing style of football , they took all 6 points of us last season and the team Taylor built at Exeter impressed me on both occasions .

You could see quite easily why he got the Rotherham job .

It was a step up for him coming to Rotherham but keeping Rotherham in the championship and keeping Exeter ticking over in League one is two completely different things .

I don't need to tell Millers that you can get away with way more in League one than you can in the championship , most mistakes are punished in the championship and conceding the first goal isn't generally a good idea either at the higher level .

Once the pressure starts to kick in inevitably poor decisions follow with those not quite ready for the higher level , the more fires you try to put out the worse it gets .

I know I'm going over old ground again. No one thought Roundwood was a problem when we got promoted to the Championship 3 times.

I accept PW mentioned several things, but was a waterlogged training pitch one of them. If it was it didn't stop us from going up 3 times.

We (TS) owe a site on Bawtry Rd, does anyone know is Sheff council refused planning there. Or didn't we get that far?

What ever we spend on Roundwood is dead money, its like building an extension on a council house, unless that is Tata decide to sell it to us.

Does the £1M rent we pay to R U estates, include roundwood?

Tony Stewart by giving the manages peanuts to spend than sacks them so they take the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by millers88 View Post
    Whoever it was that decider to recruit Hall, Peltier, Morrison, Ayala, Blackett, Eaves, Hugill and Bramall. All a waste of wages which could have freed up a lot more signings with a younger age to build on. So basically Scott, Warne and Taylor combined to blame for those cross signings.
    If Tony Stewart had given them half the budget most championship teams have you think they would off signed them??

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    True as that might be, I don't think it will land well on here at the moment.

It's impossible to really tell who is to 'blame' without seeing what went on behind the scenes to result in the dismantling of the team ethos that allowed the club to stay up last year. My suspicion is that it was primarily down to Taylor who was trying to run before he could work and changed too much too quickly.

I base my view on the dropping of Wood last season. That suggested to me that he didn't understand how the club needed to play to stay up.
    So you think 1 million pound signings is enough to compete in the championship.

You are a ex lawyer if you went up against a 100k a day barrister and lost.

Would it be your fault ??

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey1974 View Post
    It’s It not solely about apportioning blame although it an easy reach to do,but more so what and where have we learnt and if indeed we have learnt and will we act upon the lessons we have learned ..!..
    But lessons have been learnt since last time we have been in the championship.

Tony Stuart said so

The game itself is to blame, or at least those in charge of the PL and EFL who continue to award failure and cheating and make sure the playing field for clubs like us is about as level as Rawmarsh Hill.

….and their officials applying different rules to different clubs.
    I think MT was 4 pts off the pace when he was relieved of his duties.
    That gap was more or less equivalent to the serious refereeing misdemeanours that he was on the wrong end of.
    The ones where a delegation of them volunteered to visit him and apologise

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast