+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ABBA 50 years on.

It seems I am in a minority of one here.

Quote Originally Posted by Q165 View Post
    It seems I am in a minority of one here.
    and

Amongst my ****age peer group it certainly wasn't "cool" to like Abba at the time (regardless of Agnetha's good looks!) and even artists who now say that they look back and appreciate how good they were admit that they kept any liking for them rather hidden back in the day.

Despite their huge fan base, I suspect Abba were the ultimate "guilty pleasure" band, especially amongst young males who didn't like to admit that some joyous up-beat pop music with a distinctly Scandinavian flavour might actually be enjoyable when they might be expected to be into something more meaningful or with a bit of an edge. But it's OK now Q, time has moved on and it's safe if you want to admit to this particularly guilty pleasure. No more need for denial and I'm sure that no-one on here will judge you 😂

Nothing wrong in liking-or at least appreciating-any kind of music but at the end of the day it's all subjective. My own tastes are quite eclectic and have broadened quite a bit over the years but there are still certain genres I really cannot listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    and

Amongst my ****age peer group it certainly wasn't "cool" to like Abba at the time (regardless of Agnetha's good looks!) and even artists who now say that they look back and appreciate how good they were admit that they kept any liking for them rather hidden back in the day.

Despite their huge fan base, I suspect Abba were the ultimate "guilty pleasure" band, especially amongst young males who didn't like to admit that some joyous up-beat pop music with a distinctly Scandinavian flavour might actually be enjoyable when they might be expected to be into something more meaningful or with a bit of an edge. But it's OK now Q, time has moved on and it's safe if you want to admit to this particularly guilty pleasure. No more need for denial and I'm sure that no-one on here will judge you ��

Nothing wrong in liking-or at least appreciating-any kind of music but at the end of the day it's all subjective. My own tastes are quite eclectic and have broadened quite a bit over the years but there are still certain genres I really cannot listen to.

Never a guilty pleasure of mine and I race to turn the station off whenever they begin. Just as I did tonight when the awful noise created by Queen started. Likes and dislikes are purely personal matters and no two people are the same, which is no bad thing.

and

Despite their huge fan base, I suspect Abba were the ultimate "guilty pleasure" band, especially amongst young males who didn't like to admit that some joyous up-beat pop music with a distinctly Scandinavian flavour might actually be enjoyable when they might be expected to be into something more meaningful or with a bit of an edge. But it's OK now Q, time has moved on and it's safe if you want to admit to this particularly guilty pleasure. No more need for denial and I'm sure that no-one on here will judge you 😂

The “not cool at school” vibe was prevalent and I guess it still is nowadays.

I was never a music snob, I loved Rainbow ( the early years with Ronnie James Dio but I loved Sweet and Slade.

I loved punk but I liked The Bay City Rollers hits, ABBA, The Hollies and Euro Pop such as Plastic Bertrand’s hit and Movistar by Harpo.

I was massively into The Jam but also into Duran Duran and The Human League.

I liked Dolly Parton hits and Glen Campbell songs and The Carpenters.

As my singles dropped on the turntable you could hear The Boys Are Back In Town, ****age Rampage, Wuthering Heights, A Town Called Malice, Rhinestone Cowboy and Pretty Vacant one after another.

My taste would not be described as “eclectic” but more as “utterly random”.

Loved all music. Remember as a holiday rep in overseas destinations in the 80’s and also doing DJing in popular disco pubs playing - everyone wants to rule the world by tears for fears in Magaluf and Isla Bonita in Fuerteventura. All vinyl records and scratching them 😂

I would have been lynched though had I played Abba!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Loved all music. Remember as a holiday rep in overseas destinations in the 80’s and also doing DJing in popular disco pubs playing - everyone wants to rule the world by tears for fears in Magaluf and Isla Bonita in Fuerteventura. All vinyl records and scratching them 😂

I would have been lynched though had I played Abba!
    The shirt lifters would’ve been all over you!

Yet again!!🤣

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    The shirt lifters would’ve been all over you!

Yet again!!🤣

Most of the crews in those days were all pretty girls - not the big uns of today with a sprinkling of boys from the Virgin advert 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Most of the crews in those days were all pretty girls - not the big uns of today with a sprinkling of boys from the Virgin advert 🤣
    Bet Abba's "Gimme, gimme, gimme" Gay anthem goes down well now though...

Bet Abba's "Gimme, gimme, gimme" Gay anthem goes down well now though...
    AL’s lying if he says he’s never had a bloke!

He was a holiday rep FFS, it was rife with turd burglars.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    AL’s lying if he says he’s never had a bloke!

He was a holiday rep FFS, it was rife with turd burglars.

Pretty girls for me mate! You were the gay one who wanted to measure men’s inside legs with slippery hands 😭. I would rather have worked at the local tip than doing that 🤣

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)