+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ABBA 50 years on.

You two get a room....🤣🤣🤣🤣

Abba were pop perfection, loads of catchy hits that appealed to a global audience, they were in their pomp when I was at primary school but you certainly wouldn't trumpet your appreciation once the too cool for school years came along.

I very much enjoyed pop music in the 80's and when my best mate's brother played some Smiths & Wonder Stuff tunes the indie scene became my thing, like Mick I am a bit random - that's the beauty of music, it has infinite possibilities. Off to see the Libertines in October, great lyrics and loads of catchy numbers - buzzin'!

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    Abba were pop perfection, loads of catchy hits that appealed to a global audience, they were in their pomp when I was at primary school but you certainly wouldn't trumpet your appreciation once the too cool for school years came along.

I very much enjoyed pop music in the 80's and when my best mate's brother played some Smiths & Wonder Stuff tunes the indie scene became my thing, like Mick I am a bit random - that's the beauty of music, it has infinite possibilities. Off to see the Libertines in October, great lyrics and loads of catchy numbers - buzzin'!
    The Wonder Stuff were from Stourbridge, they came along at the same time as fellow Stourbridge bands Pop Will Eat Itself and Ned’s Atomic Dustbin.

I played football with Clint Mansell from Pop in the late 90’s ( Villa fan and a bit of a tool ) but now immensely famous as the writer of music scores for massive films.

I also knew Adam Mole from the band when we were t e e n agers, his dad was grounds man and player for Pedmore cricket club wihich was where I lived, we used to play football on the outfield and he was always throwing us off…..so we made Adam’s life a misery in return!😏🤣

Lead singer of Ned’s Atomic Dustbin, The NADS for short is John Penney, another Villa fan and the worst footballer you could ever imagine but a truly lovely bloke, he played indoor football with our crew of mates from mid 90’s to early 2000’s.

Strange how Stourbridge spawned those three quite well know bands in such a short period and then nothing else.

I don’t know if you remember another Stourbridge band from late 70’d into the 80’s called Witchfinder General WCV?

One of my old school mates Kevin “Toss” McCready was bassist with them?

https://youtu.be/STMgnPYANsA?si=vyd-XLYN5jDdgZcr

Never heard of Witchfinder General Mick, like Neds and PWEI's stuff, have seen the latter live but yet to catch the former.

I can't say I've knocked about with anyone famous, closest would be Asher Gould who is now James Whales' sidekick - was in my year at school and a fellow Villan, he's a bit marmite on that show but was a right comedian growing up. My Dad went to school with Dennis Taylor back in the day and met him again by chance just after he won the world snooker championships - Dad was a builder working on the Bel Air nightspot and Dennis recognised him straight away & came over for a chat.

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    Never heard of Witchfinder General Mick, like Neds and PWEI's stuff, have seen the latter live but yet to catch the former.

I can't say I've knocked about with anyone famous, closest would be Asher Gould who is now James Whales' sidekick - was in my year at school and a fellow Villan, he's a bit marmite on that show but was a right comedian growing up. My Dad went to school with Dennis Taylor back in the day and met him again by chance just after he won the world snooker championships - Dad was a builder working on the Bel Air nightspot and Dennis recognised him straight away & came over for a chat.

One of my class mates WCV was Kevin Poole and remember him being good at 14 for school matches. Also played football with David Kelly a lot in Selly Oak park as kids.

Better claim to fame than me then!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Watching on the BBC tonight.

Regardless of genre one of the greatest bands of all time.

Even 50 years on, I still tingle when I see Agnetha, makes me feel like a mid ****ager again.

Even in her 60’s…….that voice, that look, still does it for me! 😍😎

https://youtu.be/1jQF2VUghIw?si=HXW8NRXYfOF2YF7J

Even in her 60’s…….that voice, that look, still does it for me! 😍😎

https://youtu.be/1jQF2VUghIw?si=HXW8NRXYfOF2YF7J

Can’t beat the young and fit look for me. Spoils it for me seeing them aged now as Debbie Harry for example now looks haggard but I suppose you don’t realise she’s 78!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Can’t beat the young and fit look for me. Spoils it for me seeing them aged now as Debbie Harry for example now looks haggard but I suppose you don’t realise she’s 78!
    Debbie Harry at her late 70’s peak was beyond beautiful to me but she hasn’t aged well.

Other women like Agnetha carry their beauty into old age from my point of view.

Lulu is another and although she’s obviously had “work” done, I still think Cher is stunning.

My own wife is one who’s ageless, people are amazed when they find out she’s 67.

She was in a shop in Wadebridge a few years ago and the woman serving her asked her if she used to go to Crabbe Street infant and junior school in Lye in the early to mid 60’s.

This lady recognised her from 50+ years ago.

Debbie Harry at her late 70’s peak was beyond beautiful to me but she hasn’t aged well.

Other women like Agnetha carry their beauty into old age from my point of view.

Lulu is another and although she’s obviously had “work” done, I still think Cher is stunning.

My own wife is one who’s ageless, people are amazed when they find out she’s 67.

She was in a shop in Wadebridge a few years ago and the woman serving her asked her if she used to go to Crabbe Street infant and junior school in Lye in the early to mid 60’s.

This lady recognised her from 50+ years ago.

It’s easy to say someone has really aged and they have but you don’t then realise how you yourself have aged too. Just watched Frank Skinner and said to my mrs he’s really aged but then you forget he’s 67.

I am 10 years older than my mrs but she looks young for her age anyway so starting to make me look ancient 😂

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)