+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Will JJ & Macca be with us next season ?

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    From a technical point of view both Macca and Jones are under contract next season so unless the club get offers they can't refuse plus personal terms are met then there is no reason to completley write off them starting the first game of next season.

We've not sold any players yet under the Radar and all key players have seen out their contracts such as Wootton and Rodrigues. There was speculation surrounding those each summer as well. Obviously if either Macca or Jones put in a transfer request that's a different scenario.

The club like to maximise their chances of sucess so on the face of it the club has a better chance of being strong in League Two next season with them rather than without them.

It then becomes about if the club did receive offers would they meet the club and players valuation and would the club be able to adequately replace them.

What needs to be avoided is the pendulum swinging the other way and being out of balance from a goal scoring and creative perspective and we end up being a team that concedes the least amount of goals but scores the least amount of goals. Everyone knows goal scorers and goal creaters are tough to find so that might be something that may naturally happen if both did leave.

If that were to be the case we would need to half the amount of goals conceded to be in the 40's but can only afford to score about 10 less goals than we have now. Barrow are 5th and have scored 57 which is roughly the goals we would have without Macca's 25 goals.
    I think we sold Roberts, who at the time was one of our stars.

We sold Roberts to Aberdeen. I wasn't too happy at the time as he was a decent player but given his subsequent injury it turned out to be good business for the club. And with Jones as his replacement all in all it turned out rather well.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I think we sold Roberts, who at the time was one of our stars.
    Yes you are right I stand corrected. I guess there is the possibility the club could sell, but it would be tough to find a replacements as everyone wants a 25 goal a season striker who's got six assists. Likewise with Jodi Jones 23 assists and six goals prove they are good enough to play at a higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire_Pie View Post
    We sold Roberts to Aberdeen. I wasn't too happy at the time as he was a decent player but given his subsequent injury it turned out to be good business for the club. And with Jones as his replacement all in all it turned out rather well.
    Roberts was injured well before we sold him, I think he was on his 2nd or 3rd return from an ijury no one seemed to be able to fix properly. It was excellent business selling him to Aberdeen and I have no idea how we managed it. Even now he's in and out injured soe Scunny.

If we get promoted then I'd be surprised if we didn't come in for Jones, as we won't be able to buy Championship players so our strategy will have to change to pick the better players out of the league we're in or have just been in. Jones is definitely in that category. We don't need Langstaff as we have Mullin and Mullin suits ParkyBall better.

Although I wouldn't say no to both. Whether you would sell to us is a different matter and I suspect you would not given the recent history.

Langstaff will be far harder to keep of the two in my opinion. His goals will have put him on many L1 clubs shopping lists and there are some big clubs in League One that would be impossible to turn down.

No idea but I don't think we are in selling mode when so much needs to be improved next season. Midfield and strikers are fine, so I am sure stability would be welcome there. Hopefully they will accept any offer for Maynard - I believe Wealdstone would be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by BenFostersGloves View Post
    If we get promoted then I'd be surprised if we didn't come in for Jones, as we won't be able to buy Championship players so our strategy will have to change to pick the better players out of the league we're in or have just been in. Jones is definitely in that category. We don't need Langstaff as we have Mullin and Mullin suits ParkyBall better.

Although I wouldn't say no to both. Whether you would sell to us is a different matter and I suspect you would not given the recent history.

Langstaff will be far harder to keep of the two in my opinion. His goals will have put him on many L1 clubs shopping lists and there are some big clubs in League One that would be impossible to turn down.
    Where would Jones fit into your system though? We play him at wingback, despite him offering nothing defensively, but I can't see Parkinson going for that approach. He's really an out and out winger, and you don't play with those.

Also, why won't you be able to buy Championship players? You were buying Championship players in the National League, so why not in L1?

Big L1 clubs may well be sniffing around Macca, but we don't have to sell him to anyone. I think we would if the offer were big enough though, and we're talking £1 million plus. Same for Jones, who is the better player. Jones is up there with Lee Hughes in terms of the 'how is he playing for us at this level' factor.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 09-04-2024 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Where would Jones fit into your system though? We play him at wingback, despite him offering nothing defensively, but I can't see Parkinson going for that approach. He's really an out and out winger, and you don't play with those.

Also, why won't you be able to buy Championship players? You were buying Championship players in the National League, so why not in L1?

Big L1 clubs may well be sniffing around Macca, but we don't have to sell him to anyone. I think we would if the offer were big enough though, and we're talking £1 million plus.
    He could play in the Lee role, or at wing back. Parky sometimes (not often) plays a diamond midfield as well.... and its not out the question that we change formation next season as many players are out of contract and they won't be retained.

The only Championship player we've signed is George Evans from Millwall I think. But in general terms we won't be taking championship players as the wages will be too high.

I just think Langstaff will have already been contacted by L1 clubs and will pretty much know where he can potentially go. Not having to sell puts you in a strong position though. I might be wrong mind, as he seems very grounded and level headed and may want to give it another season with you, which is quite possible.

He could play in the Lee role, or at wing back. Parky sometimes (not often) plays a diamond midfield as well.... and its not out the question that we change formation next season as many players are out of contract and they won't be retained.

The only Championship player we've signed is George Evans from Millwall I think. But in general terms we won't be taking championship players as the wages will be too high.

I just think Langstaff will have already been contacted by L1 clubs and will pretty much know where he can potentially go. Not having to sell puts you in a strong position though. I might be wrong mind, as he seems very grounded and level headed and may want to give it another season with you, which is quite possible.
    Mclean is another Championship player you've got.

I don't thing Jones would last long on your heavy pitch before getting injured. Plus it's a loooooong way from his home and family in Coventry which was one of his draws to Notts. Plus having a new born he'll not want to be away from home. Langstaff is a player that wants to enjoy his football and personal life, hes said that in the past. I doubt Wrexham would be give him enough excitement to draw him away from Notts even if you could meet his value. If anywhere he'll be heading north east or south Wales for Swansea.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast