+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it about time the 'Old Girl' was laid to rest?

Relic is exactly the right description ,time it was flattened and something useful built there.
    I don't even mind the Booth's profiting from this as long as its not another bloody scrap yard.
    We must be only place in country, maybe the world that has 2 football stadiums 🏟, not much of claim to fame though really.

I read somewhere the covenant on Millmoor is due to lapse in 2025. That ties in with it lasting for 100 years from 1925 onwards so there may be some developments on the future of Millmoor next year

Karl, thanks for that update clears a lot up and like you say, plans may already be in place for the 'Old girl' to disappear sooner than we think.
    Last edited by Brin; 09-04-2024 at 01:49 PM.

What is the protection on it as things stand?

They've had 15 years to redevelop and haven't.

I'm shocked they didn't sell the stand off.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
    What is the protection on it as things stand?

They've had 15 years to redevelop and haven't.

I'm shocked they didn't sell the stand off.
    Getting like Tommy Tesh's shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    We all have absolute fantastic memories of 'Millmoor' I would imagine far too many to put on this site, but feel free if you wish to do so. I have millions. A quick one, my mate and me stayed behind to see Ally Pickering score the winner in a lengthy penalty shoot out against Sc.unthorpe. We missed our ride down the pit shaft at Silverwood at 10pm and we had 2 hours wages stopped as we rode at midnight but we didn't give a damn, we witnessed a first!

The point of my post is, as much as the fall out out with the Booths and Stewart, subsequently seeing us leave our town for four seasons before Stewart brought our club 'back home', isn't it about time she was for want of a phrase laid to rest and let the Booth family redevelop the site to other uses?

Okay, this wont probably go down very well, oh and by the way, I'm not getting anything financially by posting this, the thing is concrete lasts for only so many years. How old is the concrete around the footings of the floodlights for a starter? It's going to start falling down soon even if we don't want it to.

When I visit our 'relatively' new stadium, by modern day standards, I always look across Masborough and see the 'Old girl' and smile but with a view it's about time she left Rotherham's landscape and the total focus could therefore be on the NYS, am I wrong with that feeling?
    Yes and no.
    Right to move on.
    But, you never know, we may need a back up! ;-)

50yrs of memories at Millmoor, Great days, bad days & sad days. The saddest day 2008 our last ever game at Millmoor.I’ve seen some great players play for us,real players. Some great nights under the Floodlights, atmosphere electric.Some big big teams full of world class players.We will never see the likes of some of those players at NYS & never hear the noise the Tivoli made.Yes it’s sadly time to go but boy I do miss it. Going now tears in my eyes just thinking about it.

Taken from an article by The Athletic.

"The prevailing local theory for years has been that some sort of covenant, imposed by the town council, states Millmoor must be used for sport and leisure. With no football team to play there and no other sports club in the market for a creaking, century-old venue, this is the most frequent explanation for why it remains essentially derelict.

But the planning department of Rotherham council confirmed to The Athletic that no such restriction exists. A council representative said the site ‘is allocated for mixed-use purposes’ which includes but is not limited to ‘light industry’, ‘residential institutions’, ‘dwellinghouses’, ‘assembly and leisure’, ‘learning and non-residential institutions’ and ‘local community uses’.

Or to put it simply: CF Booth are basically allowed to do what they like with it."

Build a place for the refugee's in Millmoor, count em going in through the turnstiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Build a place for the refugee's in Millmoor, count em going in through the turnstiles.
    Good site for a mosque

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Yep and there will 5,000 going through the turnstile”s,but the home office will have it down as 2,000……nowt changes at millmoor..!..🤣..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast