+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Munto Documentary In the Works

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I’d like to know more why he took over Notts’s as financially it was never going to work for him? I’ve always believed it was to give him more credibility in trying to getting the mining deal done in North Korea or was he just totally oblivious how football clubs burn money for fun?
    It was to attract investors. They say money attracts money so owning a football team and an F1 team would give credence. Notts were desperate, and he thought BMW wanted out so badly they wouldn't care. Fortunately BMW wasn't that desperate and they kept asking where the money was, he was hoping people would come in with money before BMW got suspicious and it unraveled from there. For some reason, people at Notts could have said something but didn't, maybe clouded by Sven and the blind hope it might have been real?

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    Surely there should be more to this than the fraudulent acquisition of Notts? I thought Russell King also brought down a City of London bank and the Sauber F1 team for just two other examples. The only thing I'm mildly interested in is how he has avoided being nabbed or bumped off. And I'm definitely not interested in what Sol Campbell has to say about anything.
    I know he almost destroyed our club, but you have to admire Russel King's enthusiasm for the fraudster trade. How he managed to pull all this stuff off is beyond me. He's like some sort of cartoon villain, thinking up dastardly plans from his Dubai penthouse.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I know he almost destroyed our club, but you have to admire Russel King's enthusiasm for the fraudster trade. How he managed to pull all this stuff off is beyond me. He's like some sort of cartoon villain, thinking up dastardly plans from his Dubai penthouse.
    He's clearly a master of it. I never understand why people this smart who must be able to make a mint legally decide to conduct nefarious affairs instead.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    He's clearly a master of it. I never understand why people this smart who must be able to make a mint legally decide to conduct nefarious affairs instead.
    I know! With the skills, knowledge, and confidence it must take to pull of the stuff he pulled off, he could have made a killing as a legitimate business owner.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    It could be that Russell King lost money with Notts, but Notts County won promotion on the back of the signings.

Did Russell King, through his fraud help Notts County?

If the documentary has an interview with Mr King, I'll watch.
    It was a fanstastic season but didn’t the debts rack up to about 7m? Then when Trew realised the severity of it he couldn’t really fund us enough and ultimately we got relegated and then Hardy thought he could save us (in his eyes), so short term yes, long term an absolute disaster as we ended up the league below.

It would be interesting say if we got to L1 and sustainable then what would be worth? If we were getting saying 12-14k fans with the infrastructure all sound and things like the nest would we be attractive? The reason I ask is say in 2 years the Bros will have put in 20 million quid, could they realistically get that back or even close?

I know! With the skills, knowledge, and confidence it must take to pull of the stuff he pulled off, he could have made a killing as a legitimate business owner.
    I'm not really sure about that. To make a mint (legally) you need a great idea which adds real value, then you have to execute it (and have the means to execute it) without getting wiped out by bad luck or other people doing it first or better.

What he did was basically just a confidence trick. It's like the difference between stringing a girl along for a couple of months with what you know to be empty promises, or being a good boyfriend/husband for years or decades.

One is hard and takes a lot of effort and good attributes, the other is quite easy and actually gets easier the more of a sociopath you are.

How he's still alive is a miracle. Didn't he defraud the North Korean government? I think he also outstayed his welcome in Bahrain as well, their leadership isn't known for being nice

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    It could be that Russell King lost money with Notts, but Notts County won promotion on the back of the signings.

Did Russell King, through his fraud help Notts County?

If the documentary has an interview with Mr King, I'll watch.
    If Trew hadn't made such terrible decisions (sacking Martin Allen for example) we'd probably be looking back at Munto as the best thing that happened to Notts since Pavis in terms of turning the club around. Obviously there were major difficulties to surmount as a result of Munto, but it built Notts a platform from which a more competent owner could have got Notts into tier 2, or at least regularly challenging for it.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    If Trew hadn't made such terrible decisions (sacking Martin Allen for example) we'd probably be looking back at Munto as the best thing that happened to Notts since Pavis in terms of turning the club around. Obviously there were major difficulties to surmount as a result of Munto, but it built Notts a platform from which a more competent owner could have got Notts into tier 2, or at least regularly challenging for it.
    If Trew had done "due diligence" he wouldn't have bought the club. He ended up with a millstone which left him short of cash and put him in a position of desparation. Martin Allen's dog didn't help - was it Poundpie who didn't like it?

Anyway perhaps a good thing that Trew didn't find all the hidden debts beforehand for at least he, and subsequently Hardy, rescued us although it was all a bit of the case of https://sofoarchon.com/the-lessons-o...a-short-story/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12