+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: O/T Can anyone recall TV news not reporting on a daily murder case in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    What is it with society where we read now on a daily basis that yet another murder has been committed.

I have never heard/read via TV/radio as much, where murders are now a daily norm. We must now have the most unstable society ever and that's saying something when you look back on previous years/centuries. It makes you wonder what you might come across going about your daily life.
    NO!

Last nights news on the young man who was stabbed to death in a nightclub and his killers jailed, today the capture of the suspected murderer of that poor young woman walking her baby and two people who have now been charged with a women's murder in London, not much to go on really just another day in paradise.
    Regional news covered the Birmingham murders extensively - I’m guessing it didn’t feature much nationally as it was only sentencing yesterday and the verdict was reported a few weeks back. The honour killings in Bradford have certainly had a lot of coverages in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthWestCorner View Post
    Regional news covered the Birmingham murders extensively - I’m guessing it didn’t feature much nationally as it was only sentencing yesterday and the verdict was reported a few weeks back. The honour killings in Bradford have certainly had a lot of coverages in my area.
    On my firestick after the national news, it sometimes trips into BBC Midlands for some reason instead of BBC Look North. That's where I picked the first one up from yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthWestCorner View Post
    I came across this case yesterday.

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co....years-32537321

Not much shocks these days but reading about this one did.

I have been involved in criminal law since the late 80s.

Based on what I see, the nature of crime is changing.

When I first started out, robbery was a rare crime to come across, but now they seem to be ten-a-penny. That may be driven by the fact that most people will have mobile phones on them, but I don't think it's the whole of it.

Gang crime has increased. I cut my teeth in a town with a significant drugs problem. In the 90s and 00s, the street level dealers were mainly users who were funding their habits. Nowadays a couple of gangs have taken over bringing with them the capacity for extreme violence and a tendency to use kids as runners.

Females seem to be more involved in violent crime far more often now than in the past.

Knife carrying amongst kids has reached epidemic levels.

I'm going to stop now because I'm depressing myself.

In other words, there's no major deterrent for taking someones life.

Our prison system is already over populated and maybe that's why you now read of violent acts not receiving the correct custodial sentences as there's no where to place anyone. Time and again it's 'suspended for 18 months/ suspended for two years' where's the justice in all that for the victims.

No for me, violence is just increasing more on a daily basis and it's getting out of control. I recall the 'Up to 5 years imprisonment' if caught carrying a bladed article. What do we often read on cases like this, 'a curfew for a few weeks or a suspended sentence'. No one hardly gets put away in a youth offenders institute or sent to prison, if deemed as an adult, for carrying a knife. You've only got to watch Police Interceptors for similar cases where 'the weapon was destroyed' and the youth received a court order etc.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Murder is down but violent crime is up.

Guess this must mean that due to improvements in medicine more people survive violent attacks. Surgeons in London have certainly had a lot of practice with knife victims.
    That's exactly right , Peter Hitchins was debating this on something I watched a few months back and he said exactly the same .

I think if I remember right he said that if it wasn't for the improvements in medical science the UK murder rate would be extremely high .

Our prison system is already over populated and maybe that's why you now read of violent acts not receiving the correct custodial sentences as there's no where to place anyone. Time and again it's 'suspended for 18 months/ suspended for two years' where's the justice in all that for the victims.

No for me, violence is just increasing more on a daily basis and it's getting out of control. I recall the 'Up to 5 years imprisonment' if caught carrying a bladed article. What do we often read on cases like this, 'a curfew for a few weeks or a suspended sentence'. No one hardly gets put away in a youth offenders institute or sent to prison, if deemed as an adult, for carrying a knife. You've only got to watch Police Interceptors for similar cases where 'the weapon was destroyed' and the youth received a court order etc.
    In the past we used to export our criminals, we don’t do that anymore, we also import them from other countries. The bad eggs / gene pool is piling up.

A life sentence seems like a fairly major deterrent to me. Deterrence is overrated however. People who commit murder generally don't plan on getting caught. In addition the murder rate in the US is far higher than that in the UK despite the death penalty being available in many states.

As for sentences for knife crime, check out section 315 of the Sentencing Act 2020, which makes a minimum sentence of 6-months obligatory for an adult convicted of a second weapons offence and a minimum of 4-months obligatory for a youth.

Section 315 re-enacts a similar provision from the Powers of the Criminal Courts (Sentencing) Act 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    A life sentence seems like a fairly major deterrent to me. Deterrence is overrated however. People who commit murder generally don't plan on getting caught. In addition the murder rate in the US is far higher than that in the UK despite the death penalty being available in many states.

As for sentences for knife crime, check out section 315 of the Sentencing Act 2020, which makes a minimum sentence of 6-months obligatory for an adult convicted of a second weapons offence and a minimum of 4-months obligatory for a youth.

Section 315 re-enacts a similar provision from the Powers of the Criminal Courts (Sentencing) Act 2000.
    Why give them a second chance with a knife? Isn't the likelihood the first deterrent did nothing so they persist and could quite easily take it to another level, murder even? Be interesting to find out how many who were initially not jailed for carrying a knife, later went on to use one to deadly effect.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast