+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: O/T Can anyone recall TV news not reporting on a daily murder case in the UK?

Just to lighten the mood with regard to knives but many of us who had our childhood in the 70's can surely remember the Crocodile Dundee replicas the local hardware stores sold us young lads without so much as a " be careful with that son " .

They were certainly different times .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Just to lighten the mood with regard to knives but many of us who had our childhood in the 70's can surely remember the Crocodile Dundee replicas the local hardware stores sold us young lads without so much as a " be careful with that son " .

They were certainly different times .
    animallittle3, thing is back in the day we were brought up with better parenting, also we had more respect for our fellow human being. How times have changed indeed.

When I go fishing with my mate and I whip out my massive chopper to cut back the vegetation, he tells me to be carful with that 'thing'.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Lincs, this link will interest you:

https://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/...step=1&itemx=9
    That's brilliant Howdy. My memory has not completely gone it seems

As the thread has broadened to other crime types, this ONS site makes interesting reading, showing that violent crime has been falling year on year as has murder. Table 1 is helpful incomparing different crimes over a 20 year period in one graphic.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...on%20offences).

But as Kerr sats knife and blunt instrument crime has notable increased which is where I think significant resource needs to go now. However, I don't think that locking young people up, many of whom have been groomed into this culture and are quite hardened by the time they reach 16 and locking them up for possessing knives etc, only really serves to educate them further in the crime school that is jail so they are more skilled on their release. I can understand our basic wish of punishment/revenge but as most of these crimes are not actual (carrying not using) such sentences are inevitable short and couter productive if the aim is to cut down on reoffending when they are released.

Seems to me like we need to double down on outreach and schools liaison, to aim to reach these kids and give them positive alternatives to gang culture. Really difficult as many of their musical and pop cultural heroes glamorise the culture and make it mre appealing. It's a huge escalation in the last 10 years of me working with youmg people in East London - I've seen how it works from the inside, the lack of family support, how gangs radicalise the kids as young as 6 and 7 to fill the absent parent gap, and how the culture reinforces itself - its a huge fight ahead to help these kids (the elder ones end up pretty lost to us by mid/late ****s and are destined for lives in and out of jail anyway.

Things like this are quite inspiring and at least seek to get to the source of the problem: https://www.thekidsnetwork.org.uk/?gad_source=1

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Why give them a second chance with a knife? Isn't the likelihood the first deterrent did nothing so they persist and could quite easily take it to another level, murder even? Be interesting to find out how many who were initially not jailed for carrying a knife, later went on to use one to deadly effect.
    You can improve your chances of not being knifed by avoiding certain no go areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    You can improve your chances of not being knifed by avoiding certain no go areas.
    and ain't that sad...getting more like 'Escape from New York' everyday....

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    As the thread has broadened to other crime types, this ONS site makes interesting reading, showing that violent crime has been falling year on year as has murder. Table 1 is helpful incomparing different crimes over a 20 year period in one graphic.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...on%20offences).

But as Kerr sats knife and blunt instrument crime has notable increased which is where I think significant resource needs to go now. However, I don't think that locking young people up, many of whom have been groomed into this culture and are quite hardened by the time they reach 16 and locking them up for possessing knives etc, only really serves to educate them further in the crime school that is jail so they are more skilled on their release. I can understand our basic wish of punishment/revenge but as most of these crimes are not actual (carrying not using) such sentences are inevitable short and couter productive if the aim is to cut down on reoffending when they are released.

Seems to me like we need to double down on outreach and schools liaison, to aim to reach these kids and give them positive alternatives to gang culture. Really difficult as many of their musical and pop cultural heroes glamorise the culture and make it mre appealing. It's a huge escalation in the last 10 years of me working with youmg people in East London - I've seen how it works from the inside, the lack of family support, how gangs radicalise the kids as young as 6 and 7 to fill the absent parent gap, and how the culture reinforces itself - its a huge fight ahead to help these kids (the elder ones end up pretty lost to us by mid/late ****s and are destined for lives in and out of jail anyway.

Things like this are quite inspiring and at least seek to get to the source of the problem: https://www.thekidsnetwork.org.uk/?gad_source=1
    I agree 100%.

It may be coincidental, but it's interesting that the graphs linked to earlier seem to show that the murder rate appeared to rise until Labour came to power and then began to fall.

Maybe that's a consequence of extra money being put into education and youth services that were slashed with the onset of austerity.

It might not be comfortable for some to accept that as a possibility, but it must be a possibility that should be considered.

Prison is pretty hopeless. Yes, it gets villains off the street for a while, but there's very little done by way of education or skilling people up to allow them to go straight when they're out.

And for youth offenders it can mean three meals a day and a bed that they didn't have when they were out.

Any chance of figures improving then when Labour get in power might just diminish if as expected they open the immigration doors even wider.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Or..be a rotten, devious, spiteful swine.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I agree 100%.

It may be coincidental, but it's interesting that the graphs linked to earlier seem to show that the murder rate appeared to rise until Labour came to power and then began to fall.
    Not what's happened in London though is it?

Murder rate higher under Labour, Livingstone and Khan.
    Last edited by great_fire; 09-04-2024 at 10:00 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast