+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Champions League last night.

Champions League last night.

I only got to see brief highlights but what an unbelievable quality of goals for the majority.

Much as I loved the football of the 70’s I do think the brilliance of many of the goals we now see is something truly special.

Ball and boot quality are an obvious advantage but some of the goals are just magical.

I think so too. After all you can only play and perform in the era you are born into. Way to much comparison goes on with skills from yesteryear.
    Highly skillful players about and with TV their skill gets to be recognised more. Although I don't watch as much as years ago I do admire the skill and hard work many players put in to their sport. Energy levels so much higher then years ago. And perhaps because the energy levels are higher, sometimes it's taken for granted.

Yet for me two goals always stand out.
    Ronnie Radford's strike for I think Hereford against Newcastle for sheer quality in diabolical conditions.
    The other was the goal scored against Liverpool that was deflected in by a stray balloon.
    The goal stood. But seeing the Liverpool goalie, Grobalare expression was priceless.

Noticed this morning Gnabry’s stunner for Bayern…I think we played him once as a sub during his 1 year loan (from Arsenal?) His season long loan with us was cut short with Pulis saying he wasn’t good enough for us! Late talent perhaps?

Undoubtedly some quality footballers around today and it is difficult to do a straight comparison with those from the 70s because -as Mick has already pointed out-players are much fitter these days, the balls lighter and the playing surfaces almost immeasurably better. That said, whenever I'm tempted into thinking that I'm remembering older players through very rose tinted glasses whenever I look up old clips on YouTube I'm mostly reassured that they really did possess the quality I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    Noticed this morning Gnabry’s stunner for Bayern…I think we played him once as a sub during his 1 year loan (from Arsenal?) His season long loan with us was cut short with Pulis saying he wasn’t good enough for us! Late talent perhaps?
    Definitely a late talent Prando. Arsenal were happy to loan him out and he didn’t show enough for us at all at the time. I’d imagine Celtic are having similar discussions over Mikey Johnson right now when he didn’t show enough for them. I think with Gnabry it was just his being young and needing to gain a lot of confidence.

I do think some of the goals from the Brazilians in the 70’s would more than compare. Those banana free kicks from Roberto Carlos and rockets from 30 and even 40 yards would take some beating or even getting close to.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)