+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Grand National

The Grand National

Anyone having a flutter,due to my boycott of the bookies I won’t be bothering this year but do usually have a couple of random nags to throw my money at,never really won anything big but my sister just goes by the name and seems to get lucky most years with a placed horse,can’t remember the last time that she was out of pocket tbh

I bet that howoldboy with his facts n figures is the John McClirick of Cumbrian Crack and can spot a winner miles off
    Last edited by chaincey.ncfc; 10-04-2024 at 07:51 AM.

Haven’t had a bet on the nags for decades other than a GN draw at work which is pure chance. My brother-in-law was an on-course bookie and even he knew better than to bet on the nags. Stick to the footy Chalky.

I was getting a blood test last week and the nurse mentioned she was going as her brother in law won it last year. Never been, so later bought a ticket and set off at 9 am Saturday. Planning to have a walk of the course and an ew bet on last years winner plus and outsider.

Galia Des Liteaux e/w.

Quote Originally Posted by cayambe View Post
    I was getting a blood test last week and the nurse mentioned she was going as her brother in law won it last year. Never been, so later bought a ticket and set off at 9 am Saturday. Planning to have a walk of the course and an ew bet on last years winner plus and outsider.
    Her brother-in-law is a horse?

Ain’t that a shame….

Chalky lost again 😎

Put 50p each way on the donkey now 😀

Quote Originally Posted by chaincey.ncfc View Post
    Anyone having a flutter,due to my boycott of the bookies I won’t be bothering this year but do usually have a couple of random nags to throw my money at,never really won anything big but my sister just goes by the name and seems to get lucky most years with a placed horse,can’t remember the last time that she was out of pocket tbh

I bet that howoldboy with his facts n figures is the John McClirick of Cumbrian Crack and can spot a winner miles off
    If I could spot a winner a mile off I wouldn't be posting on here Chalky.

To be honest, although I've been backing horses since I was at school (we used to sneak out to the bookies at lunchtime) I've never been a fan of the Grand National, and Aintree itself is horrible. I don't like going to race meetings where there are large crowds. A quiet midweek meeting is more for me.

That won't stop me having a bet on Saturday though!

Too early to be too confident about anything at the moment, until there is more certainty regarding the going. Current forecast is for it to be heavy. 4 miles and 2 furlongs takes a lot of getting even when the going is good, so if the forecast proves correct I will probably be looking for a horse that is a proven stayer in the mud.

The only decent winner I have ever had in the race was in 1989. At the time I was a regular punter on the horses and I had seen a horse called Little Polveir win the Scottish Grand National a couple of years earlier. The Scottish National was over a similar distance to the Grand National and when Little Polveir won it the ground was heavy.

I happened to be in the bookies on the Thursday before the Grand National and saw Little Polveir was on offer at 66/1. The odds were big because the horse's recent form hadn't been good and at the time the going was forecast to be no worse than good to soft. However I checked the weather forecast for Aintree and saw there was a chance of some rain prior to the race.

On the strength of this I had what for me was a big bet - £10 each way at 66/1.

After that everything worked in my favour. It rained all day on the Friday and Saturday and by Grand National start time the going at Aintree had changed to heavy. As a consequence of this the odds on Little Polveir kept reducing and it's starting price was only 28/1.

The rest is history. Little Polveir took the lead at the end of the first circuit and never looked in danger of being caught.

Looking back that was probably my biggest ever win on the horses and as it was 35 years ago it is a reminder of how many unsuccessful bets I have had since.

They say gambling is a mugs game, but if you get enjoyment from it and don't bet more than you can afford it can be a very enjoyable pastime.

Have you asked the Minister if he has a tip for Saturday? There is a fair chance he will be more in the know than me, particularly if he has Irish connections!

Ha,I can’t see our Reverend giving out tips on gambling as it’s frowned upon (but not specifically forbidden) in the bible and is often spoken about in sermons,infact its sometimes mentioned a couple of weeks running so I reckon there must be someone that’s got a gambling addiction in the congregation and he’s reaching out him,if I could work out who it was then I could ask him 😆

I love gambling and always have,I know nothing about dogs or horses but football bets are my thing and had some good results over the years,bdb has witnessed a recent run that I went on and I’m sure that I’m well in profit even including the both sides to score that I do on here which is ideal because I ignore form and stick with the same four clubs

I enjoyed reading the story about Little Polveir and I had a workmate years ago that used to bet Ona horse called Rambo Dancer,he loved that horse but I can’t remember it being a big winner for him

Talking of bets I’ve decided that I’m gonna have a final bet in the final week of football on both sides to score so if you fancy giving your thoughts I would welcome it,I shall remind you nearer the time

Quote Originally Posted by howoldboy View Post
    Her brother-in-law is a horse?

Neigh lad.

Went for 3 horses at EW from 9/2 to 40/1; a fourth pulled out

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)