Quote Originally Posted by howoldboy View Post

I remember Rambo Dancer. He only ran for one season and was then retired to stud. He lived to the ripe old age of 20 but sadly died after covering a mare in South Africa. Not the worst way to go I suppose!

Like you I mainly bet on football nowadays, but usually "in running". My favourite bet (on the Betfair Exchange) is to back a team that had been expected to win, when they have gone a goal (or sometimes even two) down. I usually hold back on placing the bet until the 60th minute or more, when the team's odds have increased significantly. As a minimum I look for 5/1 for the draw and 20/1 for the win. My unit stake is never more than £1.

Covering a mare,I’ve never heard it called that before 😄

I know someone else who does the same kind of bet as you howoldboy on the football (backing a fav when they are a goal or two down) and it’s suprising how often it pays off,I don’t do online betting though and just stick to cash so I know how much I’m gambling and if I win I will usually save the slips until I’m having a lean time to get some “free” bets and top up my wallet