+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delighted with 3 points…but what a painful watch !

Delighted with 3 points…but what a painful watch !

Nothing more to say really…there was quite a strange atmosphere leaving the ground tonight.
    No doubt playing to orders ?
    Safe journey home to the real genuine Rotherham supporters. Well done guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    Nothing more to say really…there was quite a strange atmosphere leaving the ground tonight.
    No doubt playing to orders ?
    Safe journey home to the real genuine Rotherham supporters. Well done guys.
    Hopefully a bit of a Corberan master class, we should be preparing the squad for the playoffs now, we are in a unique position in knowing we can’t go up automatically and can’t really slip out of the playoffs, we need Phillips in particular fighting fit for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    Hopefully a bit of a Corberan master class, we should be preparing the squad for the playoffs now, we are in a unique position in knowing we can’t go up automatically and can’t really slip out of the playoffs, we need Phillips in particular fighting fit for the playoffs.

Given that Asante can’t hit a barn door and misses three sitters per match we need someone more clinical in front of goal. It could be against Southampton we get a couple of chances!

Phillips perhaps in that position or Maja?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    I hope you’re right DP67 buddy and a positive take on the performance.
    Interesting to see what tactics CC promotes vs Sunderland. I would hope to see a better committed effort from the players.

I feel they treated the second half almost as a training session on keeping the ball and passing in tight little triangles. Not very entertaining but I suppose going in at half time 2 up thanks to the ref we did not have to chase the game. Even by hardly getting out of first gear we still managed to create 3 good chances that BTA really should have made count. Thought Phillips looked pretty good when he came on, and was happy to see Maja get a few minutes. But if I am honest I enjoyed the last 20 minutes against Watford far more than last night's game. The crowd was up for it and Albion had nothing to lose and went at them. Much more exciting to watch but it was three big points last night so we move on to Saturday where we will have to be more up for it against Sunderland.

Without meaning to sound arrogant the game turned out to be pretty much what I expected it to be. A routine don't get out of second gear win against an already relegated side who'd rather have been elsewhere. On any other given match day we probably would have won by at least four goals with that performance despite the low key approach.

What I found more painful than watching the game was listening to the whining going on around me because we didn't massacre the sacrificial lambs. We have the oldest squad in the Championship and have had more injuries than most. They clearly played within themselves to conserve energy for what's to come and still secured the points.

I heard the first frustrated shout of '..... ffs Albion.....' come from somewhere behind me in the eighth minute. The eighth minute! It was quickly followed by more. We have a growing number of entitled, impatient and emotionally challenged supporters who are spoiling my enjoyment of games far more than anything I'm seeing on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Given that Asante can’t hit a barn door and misses three sitters per match we need someone more clinical in front of goal. It could be against Southampton we get a couple of chances!

Phillips perhaps in that position or Maja?
    We need Maja fit, he looked good prior to the injury. I would give us a fighting chance playoff wise, we haven’t had so many players fit all season. Next few Games Corberan needs to find the secret sauce..

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Without meaning to sound arrogant the game turned out to be pretty much what I expected it to be. A routine don't get out of second gear win against an already relegated side who'd rather have been elsewhere. On any other given match day we probably would have won by at least four goals with that performance despite the low key approach.

What I found more painful than watching the game was listening to the whining going on around me because we didn't massacre the sacrificial lambs. We have the oldest squad in the Championship and have had more injuries than most. They clearly played within themselves to conserve energy for what's to come and still secured the points.

I heard the first frustrated shout of '..... ffs Albion.....' come from somewhere behind me in the eighth minute. The eighth minute! It was quickly followed by more. We have a growing number of entitled, impatient and emotionally challenged supporters who are spoiling my enjoyment of games far more than anything I'm seeing on the pitch.
    It’s often mentioned that we have the “oldest” squad but it’s all claptrap. The average age for our team was around 28. God help all of us if that’s old. It’s not even reached the prime of 30 years! I’m beginning to think that ageism is rife especially from the medias perspective.

BTW that last paragraph was Gold.
    Last edited by boingy; 12-04-2024 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    It’s often mentioned that we have the “oldest” squad but it’s all claptrap. The average age for our team was around 28. God help all of us if that’s old. It’s not even reached the prime of 30 years! I’m beginning to think that ageism is rife especially from the medias perspective.

The generally accept peak of most players is 27 Boingy.

Even for an average bloke like me, my best running times were at the age of 27.

30+ does tend to see a small drop off and even though it’s in quite small amounts those small % are important.

There will be exceptions to the rule I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post

With the very greatest of respect this is quite a poorly thought out response Boingy. At no point did I suggest 28 was old or draw attention to the average age of our starting 11. I do however think you'll find 28 is getting on a bit for most Championship starting 11s.

The part of my post you initially picked up on was in reference to the average age of the squad and it's relevance to injuries over the course of a season and the need for rotation. In terms of minutes played per year we have a lot of minutes on the clock for players in the 28 up age bracket.

I for one wasn't remotely surprised to see us play out a controlled performance against already relegated opposition with a view to conserving energy for the games ahead; a point which seemed to bypass a number of those in the crowd criticised in my third golden paragraph.

Genuinely hope I've been able to clear that up. For the record I have access to the Internet and statistics as well. I mention this only because although Furlong is having his best season for us he hasn't been as good as you'd have the world believe 😉 .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)