+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: LR confidence vote

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    This may change your mind.- Although Richardson remains well loved by so many fans for what he has done for the club the current situation is giving them much cause for concern. Many are asking why the manager was given a new three year contract with the standard of football played by his team being so poor. On Wednesday Latics were facing a Stoke team that had lost its previous three matches and was only just above the relegation zone. Playing with three centre backs and three holding midfielders was never likely to provide entertainment value for the home fans. When the team sheet was announced before the game the inference was that Richardson was playing not to lose, hoping for a goal from a set piece or bringing on his big target men in the latter stages with the scores tied.

Following a Stoke goal that was gifted to them by an inept Wigan rear guard the manager introduced both Charlie Wyke and Josh Magennis for the last 20 minutes. The football produced during that time ranked among the worst I have seen from Latics over decades of following them. It was totally depressing.

The praise that Richardson has received from Latics fans in the past has been very much merited. He is still held in high regard on a personal level, but there have always been flaws in his tactical approach. Having a squad that was superior to most in League 1 meant that the cracks were papered over. However, they are fully exposed in a Championship division against superior players and managers with more tactical nous.
    Well no, not really.

I haven’t said a single thing about LR's style of play. However, how loudly would you complain if we won the league next season, playing unattractive football? I know I wouldn't if the goals were flying in week in week out.

There were flaws in Paul Warne's approach but he did alright didn’t he?

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Wigan overspent and broke the rules in the season that they finished top of L1
    So it wasn’t simply a case of spending their money better than the other clubs in that season, they actually cheated and bent the rules.
    Subsequent points deductions followed but they should have been stripped of their title and the record books should show that we legitimately finished in the highest position
    Yes I know Wigan overspent but does that mean LR receives no credit for winning the league? He still had to pick 11 players to go out and win football matches.

Aside from that, do you know what Wigan's budget was in comparison to some of the other clubs I mentioned? Was it significantly more or was it comparable?

Quote Originally Posted by Heliosphan View Post
    Yes I know Wigan overspent but does that mean LR receives no credit for winning the league? He still had to pick 11 players to go out and win football matches.

Aside from that, do you know what Wigan's budget was in comparison to some of the other clubs I mentioned? Was it significantly more or was it comparable?
    Surely the pertinent question is would he have won the league or even got promoted if Wigan had not broken the rules. A lot of people can appear good at their job is they are given significant resources
    I don’t know what the respective budgets were but I’d wager that theirs was significantly more than ours.
    I suspect Peterborough,s was a lot less too and they did a lot of whinging about who went up and who didn’t and it was primarily aimed at us. They even threatened legal action and then sensibly backed down

If Wigan hadn’t cheated then would LR have received the accolades he subsequently received ? Possibly not.
    If not then he would not be able to keep telling us about how well he’s done in the past as much as he is doing

I guess you could argue. If Wigan finished 5th bottom the previous year. The amount LR spent on players to gain promotion was the decline of the club today. It wasn't too long ago Wigan were playing with the big boys..

Quote Originally Posted by Heliosphan View Post

Ipswich, Sunderand Sheffield Wednesday all had comparable or higher budgets than Richardson that season.

There's football clubs £10's of millions of debt and dodgy sponsorship deals galore that have helped the richest clubs 'cheat' their way to league titles and and European trophies.

Of course Richardson should receive praise for putting a squad together and winning the league that season. Not sure he can replicate it but one thing is certain. He's not had one penny to spend since he's arrived at the club.

Richardson is our Captain Bligh.

Ship full of holes, ripped sails and a mutinous crew, but he still tries to sail on

I am more worried about the style of football he will have us playing, from what is posted from Wigan fans it wasn’t the best style. If he thinks Charlie Wyke is what we need then he is not the man for us, that and as posted earlier I feel he is not a man to ever see himself accountable for failure but wants the glory when the team have some success.

One of main things for me with Richardson has been the lack of "fight" from him since he took over.

I honestly can't remember many times, even early on when I thought he's going to get us out of this.
    When he came in we weren't that far behind, and a Wednesday type run could have got us to safety, but where was the "fighting spirit " .
    Maybe I'm doing him a disservice, bit that's how it seems to me.

I do have to laugh at this. LR has done nothing to show any reason why he should be trusted to rebuild us next season.
    But yet some fans are blindly supporting his credentials on what?
    He’s been a disaster it’s a results business and he’s not delivering or delivered anything.
    Results horrendous.
    Interviews Horrendous
    Style of play Horrendous
    Improvement evident Horrendous.
    Why anyone can just sit and say he needs to be trusted to lead us into next season is insane.
    Everything he says has no clarity or conviction. He just talks in riddles.
    Nobody has given any reasons to keep him just a gut feeling or it’s too early to judge him.
    His record warrants the sack.
    His style of play warrants the sack.
    His lack of accountability warrants the sack.
    He has to go.
    Blind faith is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Surely the pertinent question is would he have won the league or even got promoted if Wigan had not broken the rules. A lot of people can appear good at their job is they are given significant resources
    I don’t know what the respective budgets were but I’d wager that theirs was significantly more than ours.
    I suspect Peterborough,s was a lot less too and they did a lot of whinging about who went up and who didn’t and it was primarily aimed at us. They even threatened legal action and then sensibly backed down

If Wigan hadn’t cheated then would LR have received the accolades he subsequently received ? Possibly not.
    If not then he would not be able to keep telling us about how well he’s done in the past as much as he is doing
    Let's say that Wigan had the largest budget in the league that season (which is certainly no guarantee of success). However if they did, would it be fair to say that the expectation of the club would be promotion? I don't think it would be an unreasonable expectation of the manager.

So given that Wigan went up as champions, did the manager deliver on those expectations? I'll take a simple yes or no answer 😁

As I've said, the league still had to be won against clubs with comparable or larger budgets than Wigan. You can speculate about what might have happened with a smaller budget but the fact is LR did his job.

Personally, I think it's a little bit of a disingenuous argument you're making, but I understand why.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast