+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matchday thread: Tams v Orient

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Posh are just about out of it, their game against Bolton may have no interest to them with the play offs their target!!
    Mm not sure it works like that, after all Wednesday were in the play offs when we played them last game of the season, didn't roll over for us. I imagine the game will be competitive and of course the result could influence who plays who. So I expect it won't be an easy game for Bolton. But in the end if Derby win the next two games we are up, so here's hoping.

I've just watched the goals on TV and I got the impression, which I sort of did from a distance this afto, that Sonny Bradley was goading the fans a bit with his 'celebration' of his second goal.

The 'Tams' were 'Sharpe' in front of goal yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I've just watched the goals on TV and I got the impression, which I sort of did from a distance this afto, that Sonny Bradley was goading the fans a bit with his 'celebration' of his second goal.
    I don't think so he was just enjoying it I think, his reaction in front of us for the 1st was great

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Hmmm, just think where we’d be without that ‘slow start’, but credit where it’s due…we’ve come back well. Imagine our lead will be back down to one point after Bolton’s midweek match so next week will see a repeat of the tension, but at least it’s all in our own hands.
    Slow starts and promotion are nothing new for us, under Billy we were bottom half until the run got going, same under Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Mm not sure it works like that, after all Wednesday were in the play offs when we played them last game of the season, didn't roll over for us. I imagine the game will be competitive and of course the result could influence who plays who. So I expect it won't be an easy game for Bolton. But in the end if Derby win the next two games we are up, so here's hoping.
    It doesn't and they could be competing for 3rd still which may give an advantage in the playoffs .

I'd rather be playing Carlisle at home than Peterborough away.

I said pre match that matching the midweek 1st half performance but with improved shooting would see us win. We didn't match it, we bettered it and kept it up all game. 3 goals, all from set pieces, and we won at a canter in the end. The O's managed 6 shots, none of them on target meaning JW had a quiet afternoon.

It's back in our own hands. Keep calm. Keep focused. We'll be rate.

Imagine where we would be IF we'd beaten Northampton or Wycombe or not lost to Peterborough! The possibilities are endless!!
    Exactly so, and without in any way seeking to resurrect our previous disagreement, that is the point…and not, as you have suggested, one I am making with hindsight. I said at the time, most notably after we became the first team to concede a goal to Cheltenham back in early October…that such early season misfiring - including the nil return from our opening two home games - would come back to bite us. Those three matches, along with results against teams like Shrewsbury and Wycombe (twice) and, more recently, Northampton have seen us drop approaching 20 points. Hanging on to just a quarter of those would have seen us home…such has been the frustrating nature of this season.

Of course you’re right…it’s all a case of ‘que sera’ and you have certainly been more won over by Paul Warne than I have…not quite to the extent you suggest though, as after that very same match away at Cheltenham you were advocating sticking with Warne…unless we drop into the bottom half of the division - which we came perilously close to doing - while also suggesting that although he was the right man at ‘this level’ you had your misgivings about the Championship…should we make it.

So…hopefully we can enjoy what remains of this season’s ‘ride’ and avoid any costly further misfires at Cambridge or when a former hero returns for what will hopefully be both club’s final match at this level for a while.

Interesting times to follow. Only when the dust of this season has settled will we be able to properly consider PW’s accomplishments and suitability to take us forward…hopefully without the rancour which has typified too many of our exchanges over recent months.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Exactly so, and without in any way seeking to resurrect our previous disagreement, that is the point…and not, as you have suggested, one I am making with hindsight. I said at the time, most notably after we became the first team to concede a goal to Cheltenham back in early October…that such early season misfiring - including the nil return from our opening two home games - would come back to bite us. Those three matches, along with results against teams like Shrewsbury and Wycombe (twice) and, more recently, Northampton have seen us drop approaching 20 points. Hanging on to just a quarter of those would have seen us home…such has been the frustrating nature of this season.

Of course you’re right…it’s all a case of ‘que sera’ and you have certainly been more won over by Paul Warne than I have…not quite to the extent you suggest though, as after that very same match away at Cheltenham you were advocating sticking with Warne…unless we drop into the bottom half of the division - which we came perilously close to doing - while also suggesting that although he was the right man at ‘this level’ you had your misgivings about the Championship…should we make it.

So…hopefully we can enjoy what remains of this season’s ‘ride’ and avoid any costly further misfires at Cambridge or when a former hero returns for what will hopefully be both club’s final match at this level for a while.

Interesting times to follow. Only when the dust of this season has settled will we be able to properly consider PW’s accomplishments and suitability to take us forward…hopefully without the rancour which has typified too many of our exchanges over recent months.
    Its not that I've been "won over" by Warne, my view was and still is, that he was appointed on the basis of his track record of getting teams promoted from League 1 whilst being restricted as to the players he could sign.

I have always said, that provided he had the team competitive in this league and there was a chance of promotion then he was performing as required. My comment re bottom half of the table, was that Clowes wouldn't be considering replacing him, no matter what the demands of fans might be, unless that's where the team stayed.

So yes if we'd stayed bottom half, with no signs of progression then Warnes future would be under scrutiny, I did however say I didn't think that likely and was confident we'd be top 6, so I've always backed him.

I don't know how he will fare in the championship, hopefully we will find out next season and its merely an honest opinion rather than misgivings, based on the fact he hasn't much of a track record.

Of course one can point to where pts have been lost, but as I've said, football is played on grass not paper, who would have predicted both Liverpool and Arsenal losing their home games today? Who would have predicted Ipswich being top of the championship the season after getting promotion? Thats the interest in the game its not completely predictable.

As for Paul Warne, my view is that considering he hasn't been able to secure all the players he would have liked, has had to deal with a bad run of injuries, some predictable but others not so and has had to shuffle the team several times and yet have a good goal difference then 2nd as it stands is a bloody good accomplishment. Promotion would be the icing on the cake. IF we fail and I don't think we will, then I would still back him.

Its not that I've been "won over" by Warne, my view was and still is, that he was appointed on the basis of his track record of getting teams promoted from League 1 whilst being restricted as to the players he could sign.

I have always said, that provided he had the team competitive in this league and there was a chance of promotion then he was performing as required. My comment re bottom half of the table, was that Clowes wouldn't be considering replacing him, no matter what the demands of fans might be, unless that's where the team stayed.

So yes if we'd stayed bottom half, with no signs of progression then Warnes future would be under scrutiny, I did however say I didn't think that likely and was confident we'd be top 6, so I've always backed him.

I don't know how he will fare in the championship, hopefully we will find out next season and its merely an honest opinion rather than misgivings, based on the fact he hasn't much of a track record.

Of course one can point to where pts have been lost, but as I've said, football is played on grass not paper, who would have predicted both Liverpool and Arsenal losing their home games today? Who would have predicted Ipswich being top of the championship the season after getting promotion? Thats the interest in the game its not completely predictable.

As for Paul Warne, my view is that considering he hasn't been able to secure all the players he would have liked, has had to deal with a bad run of injuries, some predictable but others not so and has had to shuffle the team several times and yet have a good goal difference then 2nd as it stands is a bloody good accomplishment. Promotion would be the icing on the cake. IF we fail and I don't think we will, then I would still back him.
    Fair enough. Agree with some, though not all, of that. We’re not that far apart. I’ll reserve full judgement for a little longer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)