+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Matchday thread: Tams v Orient

Re Warne and the SBC. I'd be much happier with the PW of his third, shortened stint there than that of the first 2. Hopefully, if promoted, we won't be snapping up freebies who are recovering from injury/surgery or who hardly played the previous season.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Re Warne and the SBC. I'd be much happier with the PW of his third, shortened stint there than that of the first 2. Hopefully, if promoted, we won't be snapping up freebies who are recovering from injury/surgery or who hardly played the previous season.
    My understanding is that after the end of this season, Derby are free of EFL imposed restrictions, other than normal FFP rules and of course the budget which Clowes has for the club. So going forward Warne should be able to and will need to sign better quality players.

To put matters into context, according to internet, Ipswich spent £2.48 million (£1.9 million net) in the season they got promoted from League 1 in 2nd place and £4.6 million this season, which seems them currently occupying top spot.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    My understanding is that after the end of this season, Derby are free of EFL imposed restrictions, other than normal FFP rules and of course the budget which Clowes has for the club. So going forward Warne should be able to and will need to sign better quality players.

To put matters into context, according to internet, Ipswich spent £2.48 million (£1.9 million net) in the season they got promoted from League 1 in 2nd place and £4.6 million this season, which seems them currently occupying top spot.
    Factually correct, however, I think the Tractor lads were in a better place than us as they had slowly built over several years. We had 5 players 2 summers ago, threw together a squad on no money that almost did the business, changed half the squad, again on a shoestring and have promotion in our own hands. More than half the squad are out of contract this summer and, for next season should we be in the SBC, we'll see 10 or more leave and be replaced, IMO.

The EFL restrictions will be gone but I don't expect us to spend millions. I think it's more likely to be GSE type approach rather than a Mel approach.

I reckon there will be one 'big' signing of circa 1 million then the rest low fees, freebies and loans

Factually correct, however, I think the Tractor lads were in a better place than us as they had slowly built over several years. We had 5 players 2 summers ago, threw together a squad on no money that almost did the business, changed half the squad, again on a shoestring and have promotion in our own hands. More than half the squad are out of contract this summer and, for next season should we be in the SBC, we'll see 10 or more leave and be replaced, IMO.
    Indeed Town spent 4 seasons in league 1, their placings in the previous 3 seasons were 10th, 9th and 11th, as you say they didn't suffer the melt down that derby did and were able to build over 3 seasons to achieve promotion.

I suspect your right, IF we get promoted there will need to be a wholesale review of the squad.

Interesting MA…of the current squad Ebou Adams would be one of the first names I’d want to see signed up permanently for next season, but he also fits your description of one who had ‘hardly played’ previously.
    He’s made a huge difference, imo, since his arrival two and a half months ago and yet I think he’d only played a dozen times or so in two seasons with Cardiff and his only real previous success had come at FGR, possibly in their promotion season from L2.
    So, is he one of those players who’s just found somewhere he ‘fits’, which happens sometimes, or is he a player who has found his level in the lower leagues? Glad I don’t have to decide.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 15-04-2024 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Interesting MA…of the current squad Ebou Adams would be one of the first names I’d want to see signed up permanently for next season, but he also fits your description of one who had ‘hardly played’ previously.
    He’s made a huge difference, imo, since his arrival two and a half months ago and yet I think he’d only played a dozen times or so in two seasons with Cardiff and his only real previous success had come at FGR, possibly in their promotion season from L2.
    So, is he one of those players who’s just found somewhere he ‘fits’, which happens sometimes, or is he a player who has found his level in the lower leagues? Glad I don’t have to decide.
    Indeed promoted with FGR along with Kane Wilson. Season 1 at Cardiff ended in pre season when he suffered a clean tear of his pectoral muscle tendon, 10 minutes into his first pre season game for them. He was due for a return six months later but then picked up a knee injury which ruled him out for the rest of the season without making a senior first team appearance. Season 2 saw him make 13 appearances. 5 starts of which he was subbed off 3 times and came on as a sub in 8 games. His last game for them was on Jan 1st, their 29th game of the season. He signed for us 30 days later. Not been injured this season which would probably indicate that he's not well thought of by their manager.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    It would seem he has a "track record" of being injured! Or has suffered from unlucky injuries in the past two seasons which has set him back and then seen other players go ahead of him in the team. Lucky for us, as I doubt he would have been available for Derby. Which rather goes to show that one can not always tell whether signing a player either on loan or permanently who has been injured will pay off. Every signing is a gamble, this ones paid off, other not so much, though even the Arsenal loanee got Derby 6 or 7 pts and of course Ward who has not been lucky this season, has got the team more.

On such fine margins does the success of a team rest!! I'd agree he is one worth looking to sign in the summer, mind you with Derby's luck he would have a serious injury weeks after signing!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)