+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big If...

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Does it? Stockport/Wrexham replaced by Gillingham if they get their act together. Only side who would be whipping bots probably going to be whoever comes up with Chesterfield. It might not be the case of someone running away with it, but it will be rather tight. Plus the teams coming down seem to be yo-yo teams
    I think Doncaster will challenge next season and surely Bradford have to get their act together eventually. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind we will be there or there abouts top 7 wise. Anymore than that well who knows. Excellent that Wrexham Stockport and Stags will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietastic View Post
    ... But if Stuart kept going like this then he and the owners would deserve massive extra kudos in my opinion - the belief to hold out under such pressure and to come good - would be exceptional and show a lot of character and strength.
    As welcome has it has been , i think SM has a lot to do to be even average but it is possible. What this does now mean SM is certain to be here next season, whether this is good or bad remains to be seen , as i said the owners will stick with him for 2 or 3 years to be proven right when another manager would have done it much more quickly
    I still think a much better manager could have had us getting into the play offs this season, so whatever happens next season , this season was wasted by appointing SM

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I think Doncaster will challenge next season and surely Bradford have to get their act together eventually. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind we will be there or there abouts top 7 wise. Anymore than that well who knows. Excellent that Wrexham Stockport and Stags will be gone.
    Doncaster looked bloody awful when we played them this season. Just goes to show that most of the teams in this division are average.

Next season will definitely be easier to get promoted. Wrexham and Stockport were freak clubs in terms of their ability to attract players that shouldn't be at this level. Mansfield have been building a decent (and expensive) squad for years and finally got the right man at the helm. There's nobody I'd fear next season (other than ourselves and our ability to self-destruct).

In reply to the original post - I agree, and I've thought the same. If Maynard comes good, both he and the owners deserve a huge amount of credit. And it would certainly show all those fans who made it unreasonably difficult for Maynard during that tough run.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    As welcome has it has been , i think SM has a lot to do to be even average but it is possible. What this does now mean SM is certain to be here next season, whether this is good or bad remains to be seen , as i said the owners will stick with him for 2 or 3 years to be proven right when another manager would have done it much more quickly
    I still think a much better manager could have had us getting into the play offs this season, so whatever happens next season , this season was wasted by appointing SM
    Do our owners strike you as the sort of personalities that would let ego get in the way of sound decisions? They certainly don’t to me.
    The irony is it’s fans that instantly said he’s not good enough that are now letting their ego get in the way by saying things like ‘well if he does prove to be good enough it’s still the owners fault for costing us a playoff spot.’

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Davy can you just state exactly why you have come to the conclusion they have egos? As I’m just not seeing it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    That’s a big assumption that Doncaster will be in L2 next season.
    They have players back from injury and knocked out 8 wins in a row. 3 more would guarantee them a play off spot and a hell of a lot of momentum.
    If they make the playoffs they would have a better chance than most IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    That’s a big assumption that Doncaster will be in L2 next season.
    They have players back from injury and knocked out 8 wins in a row. 3 more would guarantee them a play off spot and a hell of a lot of momentum.
    If they make the playoffs they would have a better chance than most IMO.
    Yeah I made that comment before I realised they have have now won 8 on the bounce! We beat them comfortably. It's certainly a yo-yo league next season by the looks with no particular stand out team. Notts will have as good a chance as anyone. Can't see Chesterfield killing themselves next season and whoever comes up with them will most probably be a red hot relegation favourite. Some pretty average stuff coming down by the looks. Apparently Carlisles US owners are pretty minted but not seen much sign of a pay off yet have they.

The 2nd half of the season table (last 23 games) can be a useful-ish indicator as to who might be challenging in the next campaign.

2022/23 L2 last 23 games top six

1. Stockport Co
    2. Gillingham
    3. Salford City
    4. Northampton T
    5. Leyton Orient
    6. Mansfield T.

Salford are the anomaly here.
    Of the sides currently in the play off zone, Crewe were 14th in the last 23 games table, Barrow 16th and Crawley 20th (though Crawley may yet be displaced)
    Sutton were 15th but winless in their last 11 games. Stockport unbeaten in their last 13.

Current top six for last 23 played
    1. Stockport Co
    2. Wrexham
    3. Milton Keynes
    4. Mansfield T.
    5. Doncaster Rov
    6. Walsall

Notts are 22nd in the last 23 games table, above Colchester and FGR.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    This season was derailed by the Luke Williams departure, but there are at least signs that SM and the players are now turning it around.

Next season is going to be a huge opportunity to get promotion - we’ll be one of the three biggest teams in the division and have a year’s experience to know what’s needed to improve the squad. Bring it on.
    LW started the run of bad form, and did nothing to address it. SM walked into a pile of crap that was left to fester by LW.. If LW was still here we would still be on a downward spiral..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    LW started the run of bad form, and did nothing to address it. SM walked into a pile of crap that was left to fester by LW.. If LW was still here we would still be on a downward spiral..
    Not true, Durham. Agree with NW, and most fans will see now that LW's departure hit the squad hard.
    Here's a list of players whose formed dipped, probably caused by the disappointment and disruption from losing LW + 2, but who have since got back to their customary levels (in rough order of how much the form dipped)

Nemane, Langstaff, Bostock, Cameron, McGoldrick, Stone, Crowley, Baldwin, Jones...

**** happens. Let's give them a pass! Not the most professional set of responses maybe , but they're humans, what you going to do?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast