+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did we get it so wrong.

How did we get it so wrong.

Not so many seasons ago we were competing with villa in the championship and 'giving them a goal '
    Today they are beating arsenal away from home at the top of the premiership.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    Not so many seasons ago we were competing with villa in the championship and 'giving them a goal '
    Through years of either under investing interspersed with periods of overspending with money we don’t have?

The early 1990s success should have seen us further develop the ground and invest in the side.

Yes we built the East stand but the others are decrepit. The old first division side was allowed to break up with the best players (Speed, Batty, Gary Mc etc being allowed to leave and never properly replaced. For example the pitch in the first year of the prem that at times was so bad you have expected a player to disappear into it never to be seen again.

We then had the exciting but disastrous publicity Pete era from which we were lucky to survive which in turn opened the door to the likes of Bates and the seemingly only emirates private equity fund with no money. That last bit kind of sums it up.

We currently have decent training ground facilities, the shop is miles better but the north, south and west stands are pretty terrible and it’s still not clear beyond ‘not losing the atmosphere’ what the ground redevelopment plans really are.

Villa over the same period have invested more wisely and in their ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    Dunno Billy. I think Radrizanni & co played a massive part. Villa more stable, structured. Stumbled a bit with SG appointment but have got it right with Emery. Play open and exciting footy as well. But when you consider the Revie days it’s hard to believe Leeds imploding like they did.

I’m optimistic now but the club needs to get a move on. I would like to see em back in Europe before I leave this earth and there’s not much time left. Have to get into Prem this year.

Leicester, Ipswich and Leeds all going south and now it’s happening to Liverpool and Arsenal.

What is happening to not just Leeds??

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Through years of either under investing interspersed with periods of overspending with money we don’t have?

The early 1990s success should have seen us further develop the ground and invest in the side.

Yes we built the East stand but the others are decrepit. The old first division side was allowed to break up with the best players (Speed, Batty, Gary Mc etc being allowed to leave and never properly replaced. For example the pitch in the first year of the prem that at times was so bad you have expected a player to disappear into it never to be seen again.

We then had the exciting but disastrous publicity Pete era from which we were lucky to survive which in turn opened the door to the likes of Bates and the seemingly only emirates private equity fund with no money. That last bit kind of sums it up.

We currently have decent training ground facilities, the shop is miles better but the north, south and west stands are pretty terrible and it’s still not clear beyond ‘not losing the atmosphere’ what the ground redevelopment plans really are.

Villa over the same period have invested more wisely and in their ground.
    What he said, x2. I'd add that whilst Cellino was as mad a bag of monkeys, I honestly believe he had his heart in the right place, unlike his successor, who used LUFC as a mere stepping stone and will always be (in my eyes at least) the biggest hypocrite and charlatan owner we have ever had. Villa have their ups and downs of course, but not to the same the vast degree as LUFC.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    What he said, x2. I'd add that whilst Cellino was as mad a bag of monkeys, I honestly believe he had his heart in the right place, unlike his successor, who used LUFC as a mere stepping stone and will always be (in my eyes at least) the biggest hypocrite and charlatan owner we have ever had. Villa have their ups and downs of course, but not to the same the vast degree as LUFC.
    Had a soft spot for Cellino too - certainly a character but brought some financial reality back into the club after the opacity of the who owns Leeds really of the Bates era.

At the risk of simplifying it too much.

we don't score. Even in the darkest Bates days we always seemed to find a striker that could put in it the net. Maybe not the flashiest or technically gifted but they could finish it off. Beckford, Becchio, Wood and even Matt smith could finish. I also realize that those were much lower leagues/teams but finishing is a skill at any level. Beckford and Wood did pretty well in the prem. Sometimes a little less flash and a little more desire and physical play gets it done. Everytime Beckford got the ball you have a feeling it could end up in the back of the net.

You don't win games without scoring. we have the best defense in the championship and that's saying something given how good the league is this year.

Giving villa the goal was one of the worst things we’ve done in my opinion.
    In the balance of fairness,its never remembered, however, the derby spygate is always thrown up.

Not sure it's an answer to the thread title, but we have Davis assisting Ipswich (again) and Ayling doing the same for Boro. Perhaps we have dispensed with the wrong players as part of "getting it so wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    At the risk of simplifying it too much.

we don't score. Even in the darkest Bates days we always seemed to find a striker that could put in it the net. Maybe not the flashiest or technically gifted but they could finish it off. Beckford, Becchio, Wood and even Matt smith could finish. I also realize that those were much lower leagues/teams but finishing is a skill at any level. Beckford and Wood did pretty well in the prem. Sometimes a little less flash and a little more desire and physical play gets it done. Everytime Beckford got the ball you have a feeling it could end up in the back of the net.

You don't win games without scoring. we have the best defense in the championship and that's saying something given how good the league is this year.
    Sometimes the simple answer is the right ine and think you are spot on. We need a proper goal threat up front which would avoid the need to score the perfect goal all the time.

On the set piece front - we have apparently had 150 corners since we last scored from one - 150!!!

How did we get it so wrong?

Peter Ridsdale.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)