+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Baldwin out of contract

What annoys me about a decent chunk of his mistakes is that he slips and falls. It’s like he is wearing flip flops. If he has worn the same boots all season, he’s an even bigger idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Could'vebeenacontender View Post
    Even more depressing than today's defending is the fact that I've heard he's already been offered a new deal
    Incredible
    I bleddy hope not.

It's bad enough seeing the number of unforced errors he had made, that have resulted in goals for the opposition. However, the final straw for me was when he was one match away from getting his accumulated bookings wiped out. He then got booked for time wasting in the game away at Accrington, which resulted in him being suspended for 2 games. I'm sorry but he is not capable of performing at this level.

Baldwin certainly isn't a great defender. He's a very poor defender for this standard, which unfortunately describes all of our centre-halves with the exception of Macari, who does at least understand the primary role a defender is supposed to play. No professional footballer at any level should make the same mistake as often as Baldwin has, and there's no sign or reason to believe he'll learn from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    What annoys me about a decent chunk of his mistakes is that he slips and falls. It’s like he is wearing flip flops. If he has worn the same boots all season, he’s an even bigger idiot.
    Baldwin often looks very good, but far too often he looks really awful. I don't think I've ever seen a Notts defender give so many goals away through embarrassing mistakes. How many times has he fell over the ball when under no pressure this season alone?

After watching him on football pitches... I wonder what he's like on an ice rink?

The management need to cut out this "individual errors" narrative too. If their definition of players "taking responsibility" is to take ridiculous risks deep in our own half rather than getting the ball away from danger ASAP, then "individual errors" will simply keep happening. That's the only possible defence I can make for the catalogue of ridiculous and crass errors we've seen from Baldwin and others this season.

Which defenders if any should keep and which should we get rid off (under contract or not,)

Quote Originally Posted by midshipman View Post
    Which defenders if any should keep and which should we get rid off (under contract or not,)
    In terms of centre-halves, the only one worth keeping is Lewis Macari. I've also got no problem with Chicksen staying as a squad player because he has some decent defensive instincts, but aside from that I don't see a future for any of the other centre halves at this level. Tonight just showed again that they are simply out of their depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Baldwin is generally a great defender for this level for around 88 minutes, it's the other two minutes he turns Sunday league and they score
    And that is why we shouldn’t be rewarding him with a new contract. He has at least one stupid mistake in him every game and is one of the reasons we have conceded 85 goals - the worst by some distance in the division.

How many goals have we been gifted this season by comical errors? One or two? Compare that to our kamikaze defending. As for defending our own box at set pieces, we may actually be even worse than the nightmarish defence that got us relegated from the EFL.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast