+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Making Mistakes vs Tactical Instruction

Quote Originally Posted by LeftPeg_Pie View Post
    Totally agree. For as long as the Reedtz are in town, we’ll have very similar manager/coaches.

However, I do think we can main possession by changing tactically. The central CB is the most important role and I think that role has to be simplified to be as effective as possible at this level.
    Absolutely they will- but as we have seen this approach works 1 in 4. Out of Ardley, IB and now Maynard Lw was the only decent coach.i dont believe any of them apart from Lw would have got us out of the NL, and therefor none of them will get us out of L2, but we will see

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    I think its all part of the plan to do everything as cheap as possible. I really believe the plan is mid table to higher with a chance of promotion via the play offs.
    Whether this will work over 2 or 3 years remains to be seen , or whether they will eventually realise they will have to spend on better players and a better coach to get promotion- lets see what happens
    I think you seem to have the right feel for the situation here Davy. Just enough to keep us interested and maybe it will work someday.
    But as others have said they are putting in a lot of money elsewhere. Now on The Nest that I think it is a case of taking the opportunity whilst it is there. As for the pitch, they have stated that it could have waited but would have to be done eventually. So do we improve the surface so that better footballers can play on it or we make sure we have some better footballers in the first place?
    Let’s see what happens with Baldwin. Renew his contract and as you say “ I really believe the plan is mid table to higher with a chance of promotion via the play offs. ”

The cost of undersoil heating vs improving the squad in Jan, potentially still making the Play-Offs and potentially still being able to afford to do it anyway? Begs the question.

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    I think you seem to have the right feel for the situation here Davy. Just enough to keep us interested and maybe it will work someday.
    But as others have said they are putting in a lot of money elsewhere. Now on The Nest that I think it is a case of taking the opportunity whilst it is there. As for the pitch, they have stated that it could have waited but would have to be done eventually. So do we improve the surface so that better footballers can play on it or we make sure we have some better footballers in the first place?
    Let’s see what happens with Baldwin. Renew his contract and as you say “ I really believe the plan is mid table to higher with a chance of promotion via the play offs. ”
    If Baldwin's contract is renewed the best players will want to leave, they're just not having him anymore
    Look at their body language on the pitch when he lets them down week after week
    They've had enough

Quote Originally Posted by Little15 View Post
    The cost of undersoil heating vs improving the squad in Jan, potentially still making the Play-Offs and potentially still being able to afford to do it anyway? Begs the question.
    But it's not either/or is it? Adding the capability of undersoil heating whilst the pitch is totally dug up is a far better bet than having to dig the pitch up again, with all its added drainage facilities. I doubt that is taking money away from squad improvements where there is a different philosophy at play. In any event Play-offs does not mean promotion and we are clearly miles off being a League 1 side so we'd just boomerang down again. We need to be competing solidly and at no time has that happened this season which has been a mixture of brilliant, pathetic and exasperating.

Perhaps the pitch revamp will include special non-slip grass and Baldwin will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Smigpie View Post
    When Stockport attacked us they did so in numbers and at pace overwhelming us and when we attacked them it took forever allowing them to canter back with 11 men behind the ball, not rocket science. All the top teams did the same hence they are top teams whilst we continue to adapt our possession football but sadly across the pitch, might be controversial but the facts don’t lie.
    As the commentators mentioned last night, as soon as Notts got the ball they (SC) instantly went to a back 5. As SmigPie says we were sussed by the better teams last season and by most this season. Possession football is fine and dandy if the opposition come out to get the ball but not so effective if they pack their final quarter and wait for the poor ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    All very good improving the infra structure to championship level - but i think the money would be better spent on coaches or players to get to the championship first then impove the infra structure to that level
    We know now the owners plan - mid table with the hope of playoffs. Will it work - as i said it remains to be seen- but i suspect eventually they will have too spend a bit more to get to L1, but we will see
    When have they said that then?

You improve infrastructure straight away if you can. The sound system badly needed updating as it sounded terrible and now it’s definitely improved the match-day experience for most.
    Sorting a deteriorating pitch is key to be able to play with a certain style, avoid loosing Saturday games to weather and it just looks better and again improves the matchday experience which with above should help keep the fans coming.

The nest should do all this and pay for itself with its own separate revenue.

You could instead spend straight away that approx 2m quid that year on wages to get promoted, doesn’t work, then players on 2 or 3 year contracts you’re then saddled with it.

It’s all a balancing act but gradually building and finessing a squad probably has more certainty and less cost.

Im as disappointed as anyone that we didnt address the goalkeeping and defensive issues that were clearly there last season, in the Summer.
    However, The Bros are committed to the club or would not be investing significant funds in the infrastructure.
    That is on top of what they spend on player acquisition and wages.
    They will have a better idea of the requirements for promotion and Im confident they will adjust the playing model to some degree as it is clear that unless they do, we will not succeed.
    We should be realistic of how long promotion to L1 should take, several years is the norm.
    What Id like to see is at least two marquee signings, one a goalkeeper and the other a central defender, primarily to give belief to Jones Crowley and Langstaff that their future remains at ML.
    They need to do that ASAP
    Given attendances the budget should be larger. Montague must do much better though.
    I wouldnt be in a hurry to jettison Bostock, he has lots to offer from an experienced viewpoint but Palmer and Robertson pick themselves if fit.
    Montagues hardest job will be shifting thevdross off the wage bill

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    The problem is, Maynard was recruited primarily because of the way he likes to play. If he were the type of manager who likes to get it forward early and not "dominate possession", he wouldn't have been on Radar's radar. If he's sacked, he'll be replaced by a clone.
    The trouble is, he's the Poundshop Luke Williams, a fanboy. The choice is not him or a hoofball merchant, there are shades of grey.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast