+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Over to you Mr Montague

Quote Originally Posted by tommopie8 View Post
    Watched the Under the Cosh with James Collins a few days ago.

https://youtu.be/WtTukRm0z_4?feature=shared

40:38 for the pertinent part.
    Love that, thanks.

It sounds like we relentlessly pursued Conor Keeley at the expense of all other defensive targets. Tried bidding for Jesse Debrah apparently too but so did a dozen other clubs.

A lot of naivety in terms of underestimating the competition for signings at this level - as well as the ability of our current players to make the step up. So chalk it up to experience and let's hope the club has learned its lessons.

Jesse Debrah doesn't seem to have helped Port Vale that much. They're in the relegation zone with the 2nd worst goal difference in league one. Lucky escape?

I wonder if our style of play and goals against will put some defenders off. For the same reason a striker might not want to join a club that's very negative and rarely scores.

Quote Originally Posted by DomdomPie View Post
    A lot of naivety in terms of underestimating the competition for signings at this level - as well as the ability of our current players to make the step up. So chalk it up to experience and let's hope the club has learned its lessons.
    That's probably the best attitude we can take into the close season. Let's hope your words, coupled with "The All Powerful Stats" (Hereby known as TAPS) are prophetic.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I wonder if our style of play and goals against will put some defenders off. For the same reason a striker might not want to join a club that's very negative and rarely scores.
    We'd be recruiting defenders that fit the style though not ones that can just head the ball out. Also we have one of the highest goals for in the league and Langstaff has won the golden boot 2 seasons running...fingers crossed. What striker wouldn't want the type of service Macca gets??

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    I still don't feel that our problems are solely with our defenders, but instead, the way we play. If the owners want us to play a high risk game, then yes, they need to buy high calibre defenders and super fit midfielders.

If they aren't prepared to spend big, then they need to allow a change to how we play.
    One of our biggest problems this season has been Bostock, with his continuous passing sideways and back. We have gone from a fast flowing attacking team to a slow laborious walking team. When he went off on Tues our play became much more quicker and direct.. If we are to challenge next season, then the likes of him and McGoldrick need to go..

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    We'd be recruiting defenders that fit the style though not ones that can just head the ball out. Also we have one of the highest goals for in the league and Langstaff has won the golden boot 2 seasons running...fingers crossed. What striker wouldn't want the type of service Macca gets??
    My point about the striker wasn't about Notts. Just using it an example - defenders might not want to join a team that ships goals (like Notts) for same reason attackers might not want to join clubs that rarely score.

I'm sure attacking players would love to join us, but I'm not so sure defenders would be as excited given how poorly shielded the back three is and our reputation for embarrassing defending.

My point about the striker wasn't about Notts. Just using it an example - defenders might not want to join a team that ships goals (like Notts) for same reason attackers might not want to join clubs that rarely score.

I'm sure attacking players would love to join us, but I'm not so sure defenders would be as excited given how poorly shielded the back three is and our reputation for embarrassing defending.
    With Palmer (next season) and Robertson back they'll get some cover but surely the calamity defending by our defence isn't to do with them not having the cover. Our defence currently isn't up to league 2 football, simple as that.

I doubt it'd even come into it. Assuming you're competing with a club at the same level, a player will move to either the club that will pay him the most or which best fits his personal/family circumstances. Just the way of the world.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast