+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change of formation

Change of formation

Every manager in league 2 knows how to beat Notts present formation with our very poor defence. We need to go with 4 at the back either 4-3-3 or4-4-2. For this we need 2 strong and tall center backs, our full backs can be Brindley on the right , Chicken on the left and Macari can play both right or left as required. We can then . have our midfield of Robinson and Palmer with Crowley further up the field. Our present wing backs are very good going forward but poor defenders (they do their best but are not suited to be defenders) they of course need to drop back and and help the defence when Notts do not have the ball. I know they both perfer to just to be winger. The 2 up front can be from Macca Jetta and Scott. We can still play an pressing style and be much more strong in defence.

I tend to agree. The wing-back system worked in the National League because player for player we were so dominant, but in this division where the opposition are as well resourced (if not better) than us, the defensive weaknesses of our "wing-backs" has been ruthlessly exploited.

In fact let's face it, players like Nemane and Jones are not wing-backs at all, they're wingers being asked to do a part-time defensive job they're not equipped to do. And looking at Will Randall's pathetic failure to stop the cross for the fifth Stockport goal, he's another in the same category!

4-4-2 or 4-3 -3 would better

Obvious to everyone but the statisticians. Was it the Bro's telling LW to play three at the back or just the way he likes to set his teams up?
    When it works its a pleasure to watch.
    It depends who we buy or sell we might end up having stronger defence and weaker attacking options.
    Hopefully we get both areas right.

Quote Originally Posted by midshipman View Post
    Every manager in league 2 knows how to beat Notts present formation with our very poor defence. We need to go with 4 at the back either 4-3-3 or4-4-2. For this we need 2 strong and tall center backs, our full backs can be Brindley on the right , Chicken on the left and Macari can play both right or left as required. We can then . have our midfield of Robinson and Palmer with Crowley further up the field. Our present wing backs are very good going forward but poor defenders (they do their best but are not suited to be defenders) they of course need to drop back and and help the defence when Notts do not have the ball. I know they both perfer to just to be winger. The 2 up front can be from Macca Jetta and Scott. We can still play an pressing style and be much more strong in defence.
    Chicksen maybe but not Brindley

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    4-4-2 or 4-3 -3 would better
    Even more important than the formation is the need to sign defenders (and midfielders) who can actually defend and see that as a priority. I’ve just read on some site that we’ve conceded 17 penalties this season (13 converted), which is the most in 60+ leagues across Europe. From memory, Bostock and JJ have given a few of those away with their inability to tackle.

We’ve conceded 16 from set pieces, which is average for the division (Stockport have actually conceded 17), and scored 13 ourselves, so we’ve conceded 56 from open play. I wonder how many of those were from when we let the opposition cross the ball into the box far too easily (like Stockport’s fifth, but the one that stands out for me is Gillingham’s equaliser at ML in February - a powerful header from about 10 yards out when their player won the battle for a ball into the box).

We need those strong tall center backs to be able to use their feet though as our style is to play out from the back. Not an easy combo to find.

There seemed to be a tactic employed by LW for our defenders to retreat into our penalty box rather than confront an attacker with the ball outside the box. I don't see that now SM is coaching. I have no idea if that relates to the penalties and goals conceded but as Nemane demonstrated at Walsall the other week, once you run at players in the box defenders are put in an awkward position.
    Given that i have thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of seasons, even this one to a degree, I think now is the time to revert to a back four.
    A quick tally up says we conceded 3 or more 13 times in the league so far with just 7 clean sheets. That's more than 25% of league fixtures where we needed to score 4 or more to win. We have scored 4 or more 5 times but only won 3 of those fixtures. It may suit the casual spectator but things are genarally built from the bottom up for good reason and whilst the entertainment value can't be faulted, promotion is unlikely unless the owners are prepared to be flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by since41 View Post
    Obvious to everyone but the statisticians. Was it the Bro's telling LW to play three at the back or just the way he likes to set his teams up?
    When it works its a pleasure to watch.
    It depends who we buy or sell we might end up having stronger defence and weaker attacking options.
    Hopefully we get both areas right.
    Interesting question as all 4 have mainly played a back 3 with the odd time switching to a 4.

I guess recruitment wise it makes it easier if you know what system you will play going forward.

If honest I prefer a back four as I think it is easier to get to grips with as most players id guess are coached in this way.

I feel Jones/Nemane whoever is wing back gets too much stick it is an incredibly demanding position, they get the "cant defend stick" and Chicksen gets the "passback and never goes forward stick"

We'll find out this summer I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Interesting question as all 4 have mainly played a back 3 with the odd time switching to a 4.

I guess recruitment wise it makes it easier if you know what system you will play going forward.

If honest I prefer a back four as I think it is easier to get to grips with as most players id guess are coached in this way.

I feel Jones/Nemane whoever is wing back gets too much stick it is an incredibly demanding position, they get the "cant defend stick" and Chicksen gets the "passback and never goes forward stick"

We'll find out this summer I guess.
    The thing is if you went 433 and had jones on the right and and nemane on the left I would say that’s both their natural positions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast