+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whilst we are resetting…..

I was thinking exactly the same thing. It's beyond embarrassing for a number of reasons. A crap song, sung by a crap singer who has negative associations which Rotherham is best avoiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    That means he must be presumed innocent!

I agree what you say about the connotations though and it does sound a bit naff.
    Technically he was never arrested or charged, so the presumption of innocence doesn't apply - that's just a status afforded to anyone accused of something. Innocence outside of a legal framework is different, and I doubt we'll ever know. He's a weird f***er, whatever else he may or may not be.

And yeah, it's a tragic song... if it had been played for years, fair enough (many clubs do that) but forcing that on us all just makes me want to take my seat after kick-off. Maybe a good ploy to sell more beer!

Far better approach:

Gary Neville played a huge part in establishing the Stone Roses’ track This is the One as the walkout song at Old Trafford.

Neville, who was Roy Keane’s successor as club captain when the legendary Irish midfielder departed in 2005, wanted a song that reflected the true authentic spirit of the city of Manchester.

He chose a tune from the band’s iconic 1989 album and, in an interview to celebrate the release of the United x adidas x Stone Roses collection, our former right-back explains why it has become such a special part of the matchday experience.

“This is the One has stood the test of time because it's a great song,” Neville explains. “That's it first and foremost, and that album is legendary.

“But Manchester United helps keep it alive every single week. I'm up there now on the gantry and that guitar starts to play, and that moment still gives you goosebumps.

“If you're a Manchester United fan and you hear that song, then you know it's time for the match to start.

“You can have good times and bad times. But still, every United fan that walks over that forecourt into that stadium has a dream and hope that they're going to see something special.

“The song that's played in the tunnel is the start of that moment.”

The Roses were formed in Manchester in 1983 and three-quarters of the line-up are Reds, with lead singer Ian Brown and bass guitarist Mani regularly attending games at Old Trafford.

Neville, as a local lad himself, recognised this grounding in the city but says the song also appealed to those from far and wide who ended up calling Manchester home.

“When I changed it all those years ago, we were listening to [the theme from the film] Rocky. I mean, I love Rocky, don't get me wrong, what a hero Rocky is, but he's from Philadelphia. He isn't from Manchester. We have to have something here that's authentic.

“Authenticity is everything in this city, and we've got great musicians and great songs, and that one is perfect for Old Trafford.

“Our dressing room had a group of local lads who were in love with this club and love with this city, but then you had people from all around the country that felt the same, and then you had people from all around Europe and the world who came here and became Mancs.

“The manager used to say to us, immerse yourself in this club, immerse yourself in this city.

“So this idea that you're Mancunian, you're from the Greater Manchester area, you're a local lad and you've got a song that's so important, with lyrics that are amazing.”

So we need 'Drop me off in Rotherham'' then? The original version.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    So we need 'Drop me off in Rotherham'' then? The original version.

Voted for that bought album when it came out like to be proved right like it's been said on here!

As a song ,it's a pop song sung by Cliff Richard, not my cup of tea, but just an inoffensive pop song from the early 60's,nothing to get upset about.
    However it does have a connection with the club going back many years, so I can see why it was picked.
    Personally I would have loved it if Chris Wolstenholme had written us something anthemic to run out to.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    As a song ,it's a pop song sung by Cliff Richard, not my cup of tea, but just an inoffensive pop song from the early 60's,nothing to get upset about.
    However it does have a connection with the club going back many years, so I can see why it was picked.
    Personally I would have loved it if Chris Wolstenholme had written us something anthemic to run out to.
    Could play something by Jo Callis who wrote most of The Rezillos' songs and co-wrote many of The Human League's hits.

Maybe not every game but would love to hear "(My Baby Does) Good Sculptures", not enough songs about sculptresses.
    Last edited by great_fire; 18-04-2024 at 12:13 PM.

That's the probkem with music, we all have different tastes.....but Bachelor Boy is absolutely dreadful as is part of the crowd's attempt to sing it.
    If they were going to pick one from earlier times what was wrong with Let's Work Together by Canned Heat? We could certainly have done with that sentiment this season. ☹️

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey1974 View Post
    The vote was skewed.i have mentioned this to the club.and it was recognised.
    Not the only things that’s skewed then…..

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    That's the probkem with music, we all have different tastes.....
    Correct, the will choice never satisfy everyone and in the grand scheme of things, the music played is pretty low down the list of priorities.

Personally I think 'Bachelor Boy' and 'Drop me off in Rotherham' are both crap. My favourite was three or four seasons ago when we would come out to 'F*ckin' in the bushes' by Oasis. Not really family friendly but I was pleasantly surprised at the time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast