+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Fans' Forum [01.05.24]

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    It's not about charisma, he's just not a very good coach.

That's a big statement. Just wondered what it's based on? Have you attended any of SM's coaching sessions?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    It's not about charisma, he's just not a very good coach.
    I think he might be a decent coach. Whatever we think about RM and our approach to recruiting coaches, they know a lot more than we do. My concern is whether coaching ability is enough to carry a team to success. Like with our playing staff, there often seems to be something ***** that's overlooked during recruitment - the mental factor.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I think he might be a decent coach. Whatever we think about RM and our approach to recruiting coaches, they know a lot more than we do. My concern is whether coaching ability is enough to carry a team to success. Like with our playing staff, there often seems to be something ***** that's overlooked during recruitment - the mental factor.
    I have absolutely no doubt he’s a good coach and knows his football inside out and I believe Burchnall was a good coach too but you do need leadership qualities which I never thought Burchnall had.
    I can’t say I’m 100% confident in SM, clearly a decent guy with intelligence. I know when at Wealdstone his assistant talked about how SM rang the players Friday night who hadn’t got in the team/squad and said why they hadn’t and what they needed to do and whilst they didn’t always like it they respected him taking the time and being honest, so maybe he is commanding respect from the players if he is doing the right things behind the scenes, who knows.

My impression is Maynard is still struggling to fill LW's shoes from a PR perspective and that may lead us to believe he isn't as strong a personality as we would expect a leader to be. However, that is an assumption. I am content to give the recruitment team another window to demonstrate they have learnt from their mistakes and really understand the type of players and GK we need and if they succeed then I think SM will be able to relax a bit more.
    For all his qualities, and there were many, LW didn't do anything to stop the defensive problems other than infer he needed to help the players improve. I do think Maynard has attempted to address the issues, with some success, but ultimately without improving what was a worsening situation. LW was a hard act to follow because of what he delivered, lets give SM a pre-season and few less 'non-producers' on the pitch and then he can be judged fairly.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    ...so maybe he is commanding respect from the players if he is doing the right things behind the scenes, who knows.
    There are enough compliments and positive remarks about him and his coaching ability from a variety of players to suggest that he is respected. Just because he is a quiet sort of bloke and struggled with a poor run of results when he came (probably caused by a team in decline since before LW left and with a crap defence) doesn't necessarily mean he is a weak useless doorknob like some are suggesting. What about all this "In the Bros we trust" stuff bandied about when Christoffer is clearly uneasy talking to an audience and kills his input as soon as he can (or just smiles and lets Alex take it).
    Do I think SM is going to come good? Don't know yet but having been a Notts fan for all these years my inclination is to give the underdog a fighting chance and not assassinate him like some here seem to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Togtastic View Post
    My impression is Maynard is still struggling to fill LW's shoes from a PR perspective and that may lead us to believe he isn't as strong a personality as we would expect a leader to be. However, that is an assumption. I am content to give the recruitment team another window to demonstrate they have learnt from their mistakes and really understand the type of players and GK we need and if they succeed then I think SM will be able to relax a bit more.
    For all his qualities, and there were many, LW didn't do anything to stop the defensive problems other than infer he needed to help the players improve. I do think Maynard has attempted to address the issues, with some success, but ultimately without improving what was a worsening situation. LW was a hard act to follow because of what he delivered, lets give SM a pre-season and few less 'non-producers' on the pitch and then he can be judged fairly.
    Just seen Mike Williamson on sky and seen him loads of times and he never comes across that well, very droll and almost downbeat, but look what he’s done at MK so it’s not all about how they come over publicly. LW wasn’t great initially, came out of his shell as time went on, we just live in hope. One thing I get the feeling with SM is he will be very pragmatic on the types of players he thinks we need and I get the feeling he definitely wants some some physicality over technical if possible.

Just seen Mike Williamson on sky and seen him loads of times and he never comes across that well, very droll and almost downbeat, but look what he’s done at MK so it’s not all about how they come over publicly. LW wasn’t great initially, came out of his shell as time went on, we just live in hope. One thing I get the feeling with SM is he will be very pragmatic on the types of players he thinks we need and I get the feeling he definitely wants some some physicality over technical if possible.
    Exactly this! Look at LWs early media interviews. People were questioning him and what he was watching, then we started winning and everyone fell silent

Just seen Mike Williamson on sky and seen him loads of times and he never comes across that well, very droll and almost downbeat.
    Is it possible to be very droll and almost downbeat?

They are complete opposites!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Is it possible to be very droll and almost downbeat?

They are complete opposites!
    You know what I never new that 😂 I thought droll meant a bit down, every days a school day.

You know what I never new that �� I thought droll meant a bit down, every days a school day.
    Droll definitely sounds like it should be synonymous with dour.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast