+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Premier League is the best in the world, oh yeah?

The Premier League is the best in the world, oh yeah?

So, we have the mist prestigious league in the world (supposedly). The most expensive (on any neasure), in the world. We have club's that are variously describes as world-beaters, invincible etc etc. And how do any of those club's in such hallowed company progress in the lowliest of European competitions? A penalty shootout. Pathetic.

And we aspire to join such abject failures? F00k off. At least the Championship retains sone measure of honesty and integrity as a footballing competition.

Disappointed should we not be promoted? Not so much, really and honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    So, we have the mist prestigious league in the world (supposedly). The most expensive (on any neasure), in the world. We have club's that are variously describes as world-beaters, invincible etc etc. And how do any of those club's in such hallowed company progress in the lowliest of European competitions? A penalty shootout. Pathetic.

And we aspire to join such abject failures? F00k off. At least the Championship retains sone measure of honesty and integrity as a footballing competition.

Disappointed should we not be promoted? Not so much, really and honestly.
    A tad harsh? - City win the game against RM 9 times out of 10 but the fact that they lost is part of the allure of football.

On any given day, with the right run of the green, any team can win. It might not happen often but football has the highest percentage of that happening in similar team sports.

If we get promoted great, if not, as you say we have more chance of winning games but the premier league vultures will start circling around the young talent.

The 49ers seem to want to build a sustainable model but that appears to be predicated on being in the prem so for that reason we really need to go up.

It’s not war, none is going to die over it so at the end of the day it’s entertainment (even if at times it doesn’t feel like it) so Que sera sera

Not as many incompetent refs and linesmen in the champions league. Incompetent or just plain biased refs in the prem are the norm. Some of those refs the minute they are announced you are playing 12 on 11. VAR has just allowed them to blame it on a third party.

That's fine for the big clubs until they play somewhere where they don't get the calls, or heaven forbid, actually get homered themselves.
    Last edited by spaldy; 19-04-2024 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    A tad harsh? - City win the game against RM 9 times out of 10 but the fact that they lost is part of the allure of football.

On any given day, with the right run of the green, any team can win. It might not happen often but football has the highest percentage of that happening in similar team sports.

If we get promoted great, if not, as you say we have more chance of winning games but the premier league vultures will start circling around the young talent.

The 49ers seem to want to build a sustainable model but that appears to be predicated on being in the prem so for that reason we really need to go up.

It’s not war, none is going to die over it so at the end of the day it’s entertainment (even if at times it doesn’t feel like it) so Que sera sera
    Not in the slightest "harsh" as my point related to ALL the games involving PL teams in European competitions this week, not just City. City lost, Arsenal lost, Liverpool lost, Spam lost, Villa (the "new kids on the block" relatively speaking) won through on penalties (as others had lost in similar circumstances).

I suspect that there is an element of truth in what Spaldy says about match officials, but the fact remains that 4 out the 5 English clubs in European competitions lost, hardly a ringing endorsement of the PL.

Anyway, I suspect also that it won't be a problem for us to worry about come end of season.

Just shows also what’s been said on here by many, you can have as much possession and shots as you like, but at the end of the day unless you hit the back of the net it counts for nothing, something we’ve found to our cost this season, last season, the season before that etc etc etc.

Premiership top 6 is more or less a closed shop now.

Would love to see us go up (obviously) but it's a nailed on relegation scrap.

Glad I witnessed Football before the greed ruined it.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Not in the slightest "harsh" as my point related to ALL the games involving PL teams in European competitions this week, not just City. City lost, Arsenal lost, Liverpool lost, Spam lost, Villa (the "new kids on the block" relatively speaking) won through on penalties (as others had lost in similar circumstances).

I suspect that there is an element of truth in what Spaldy says about match officials, but the fact remains that 4 out the 5 English clubs in European competitions lost, hardly a ringing endorsement of the PL.

Anyway, I suspect also that it won't be a problem for us to worry about come end of season.
    Yep I understood - just thought city were unlucky they should have put at least another two past Madrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    Premiership top 6 is more or less a closed shop now.

Would love to see us go up (obviously) but it's a nailed on relegation scrap.

Glad I witnessed Football before the greed ruined it.
    Nail on head Rev.. Its definitely a closed shop,I can't wait to get back in Championship.. the Premier league is toxic and run with corrupt people and refs..

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)