+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Macca and Jodi

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    I guess as we got him on a free and he leaves on a free then there's been no lose other than the time and effort spend getting him 100% fit again.
    True. But it's worth weighing up the value of having the best player in L2 for one more season vs having maybe £500k to spend on three or four players that could solve some of our current issues.

Well Neil Warnock seems to think Langstaff is good enough for the championship and he knows that league inside out.

League one you could maybe see Birmingham/Sheff Wed going for him if they drop down.

Jones is a league one player for sure and his fee probably not be as high.

Its a tricky one we are kinda in control as both are under contract but if any of them say I want to go then we are likely to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Seems a bit dramatic. It's important to remember that we're in the driving seat here. They are both under contract, and we aren't under pressure to accept bids to ease our finances. So the only reason we'll sell is if someone makes an offer that's too good to refuse. In which case, we'll have a far bigger budget to build a solid, promotion-worthy squad.

There are benefits and drawbacks to both keeping them and selling them, but I trust the bros to pick the option that will serve the club better over the long run.

For what it's worth, I think they'll both be here next season.
    I agree and from watching the Magpie Circle interview with Richard Montigue and Joe Palmer I think a thorough analysis will or have already taken place by the club. There will be the contributions not only from the goals and assists to consider but all the other metrics as to whether the club think they could find or have targets in mind that would be able to give us the best chance of having players that could contribute so much to the team.

Then it becomes about the cost in terms of chances of getting in the playoffs or promoted with and without them and what financial offers would need to reach to a point to tip the balance. Ideally to be as sustainable as possible you want to sell high and then get the best value for money for the replacements. There is no point selling a player for £1m to then only be able to buy players for £1m to get the same return from them. You may as well keep the players you have.

Part of me thinks they will both be here as well at the start of the season.

I’m not worried either way. IF either or both leave, and we get good money, then the model has worked.
    The only down side is that I’m not sure I trust the recruitment team to then invest money in to buying/paying wages of good replacements.
    As fans we need to move away from we can’t replace Maccas goals or JJ’s assists… around 50 goals scored/assisted. Both are freaks. Other teams have got promoted without this kind of contribution… cutting goals conceded for 90 to 40/50 gives us a sniff even if we reduce the 90 goals scored to 70.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    He can't see Jodi fitting in either of their systems though so would soon find himself on the bench. Plus he's got a new born so moving that far from home wouldn't suit for at least another year to the end of his contract at Notts.

Macca as said the long contract we have on him would demand a high price so that will rule out L1 clubs and is he Championship level? Maybe.
    I would try playing Jodie up front playing off a front man,with room the wander...!

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    I would try playing Jodie up front playing off a front man,with room the wander...!
    I'd love to see what he could do wide left/right in a 433 or 4231.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I'd love to see what he could do wide left/right in a 433 or 4231.
    4-2-3-1 is a decent shout..

Not sure about a back 4 but the 2 could be Palmer / Robertson
    3 for me would be JJ / Crowley / Macca
    Up front Jatta

There are clearly other options

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I’m not worried either way. IF either or both leave, and we get good money, then the model has worked.
    The only down side is that I’m not sure I trust the recruitment team to then invest money in to buying/paying wages of good replacements.
    As fans we need to move away from we can’t replace Maccas goals or JJ’s assists… around 50 goals scored/assisted. Both are freaks. Other teams have got promoted without this kind of contribution… cutting goals conceded for 90 to 40/50 gives us a sniff even if we reduce the 90 goals scored to 70.
    I dont see why not as these are same people who buy all the players.

Langstaff, Jatta, Crowley, Scott, Jones are al very good signings.

McGoldrick off form but he has been good overall though doubt he was radar signing he was obviously a good player.

Morias/Randall not shown much but when you look at the above 6/8 have been good you cant fault the recruitment team for attacking players signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    It won't be easy finding a 25+ goal Scorer or a 24 assist p!ayer no matter how much we get for them.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    It won't be easy finding a 25+ goal Scorer or a 24 assist p!ayer no matter how much we get for them.
    That’s my point. Sides have gone up without either. If we sort out the defensive frailties then the pressure is off scoring.
    Could Jatta and Scott (if he signs) score 30 between them?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast