+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim O’Brien

Agree with all the above comments

A true Magpie always gives 110% a credit to himself and although it was obvious he was saying goodbye in a playing sense
    I hope the club can find a place for him on the coaching side

Thank you Jim for your contributions

Best box to box player this season by a country mile, no brainer to offer him another contract, loved watching him play and want to again.

Its a big pity that he was basically used as a backup to Bostock.. It was plain to see it should have been the other way round.. Well done Jim..

Beyond doubt that Jim O’Brien should be offered another playing contract. Played (nearly) 90 minutes yesterday, got MOM and a standing ovation and has been outstanding in numerous roles, including manager this season. Also invaluable in developing players like Robertson and Macari. Wears his heart on his sleeve and a magpie on his leg. Hearty congrats Jim from a fellow Scot, look forward to seeing you playing for at least another season.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    What a battler he’s been for us.
    A bit like Mike Edwards he continues to earn his place.
    I’d love him to stay at the club in a coaching capacity but, for the same reason I think Scott will be released, I don’t think we’ll keep him on as a player.
    JOB might want to play on and not move into coaching yet retiring is I imagine hard if you love the game and he does clearly.

Im sure we'll give Scott time in pre season see how his knee holds up my gut feel as he is 24/25 we'll offer him a deal maybe 12 months.

He's the same age as Mc Goldrick and he has another year of his contract to go. I can't see why Jim can't be around for another year as yesterday showed.

Anyway who's going to be caretaker manager next season when Maynard gets sacked

It’s hard not to love JOB and over the five years at the club he’s been through it all. It would be somewhat fitting that he bows out having left the club in a better place than when he joined the club in league two.

However he has the fire, energy, passion and love for the club in spades. The photo of him saluting the Kop with his magpie tattoo on show is legendary.

I like that he likes to take a risk or try something and has that bravery and courage.

I think he still has something to offer the club and another year even if he’s more of a coach/cameo type of player like Alan Smith was will be beneficial. Plus being in and around the dressing room helping to bring on the other younger players.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Its a big pity that he was basically used as a backup to Bostock.. It was plain to see it should have been the other way round.. Well done Jim..
    Was it plain to see?
    Bostock was superb in the first half of the season.
    On the flip side it seemed every time JOB came off the bench he’d drop an absolute clanger.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Was it plain to see?
    Bostock was superb in the first half of the season.
    On the flip side it seemed every time JOB came off the bench he’d drop an absolute clanger.
    What rubbish. Bostock was ok last season, but this season he has been the reason why we have become pedestrian in our play.. Stockport was a typical example, as soon has he went off we began to play the ball forward more quickly...I for one hope he has played his last game, and take Didzy whatever his name is with him..

I would think JOB played yesterday as he likes a more physical game compared to Bostock & the Cowley bros are renowned for that type of style. Give the man a 2yr contract player/coach so he knows where he stands.
    I would also say he is the link between players & management. A bit like when nob was chairman, JOB took on the responsibility to represent the players

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast