+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jim O’Brien

When he was offered another year at the end of last season I thought it was the wrong decision as I thought he wouldn't play at all hardly, I've got to be honest I was totally wrong he has been excellent for us and I'd be happy with him having one more year if he feels up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    He's the same age as Mc Goldrick and he has another year of his contract to go. I can't see why Jim can't be around for another year as yesterday showed.

Anyway who's going to be caretaker manager next season when Maynard gets sacked
    Very good points especially the CtM scenario.
    Jim has been superb this season in every role he has been utilised , adding urgency and motivation too during his minutes on the pitch.
    JOB certainly deserves another contract and his experience and mentoring skillshave been invaluable in the dressing room.

Quote Originally Posted by SinceSept1959 View Post
    Very good points especially the CtM scenario.
    Jim has been superb this season in every role he has been utilised , adding urgency and motivation too during his minutes on the pitch.
    JOB certainly deserves another contract and his experience and mentoring skillshave been invaluable in the dressing room.
    Wish him the best of luck if he doesn’t get a new contract.
    Maybe not the best to watch technically but always have 100% to the cause and the club.

Being old school myself ,I probably appreciate old school midfielders like Jim. I've always admired his commitment to the cause , together with his empathy for the club.
    Jim has been effective and enthusiastic unlike some other players.
    Remember artisan builders never built anything without hod carriers , labourers or skilled tradesmen.
    Good , successful teams have the right mix.

I liked his words in one interview that he had one gear, 'go'. What a great professional Jim is and still remains a very effective midfielder who can bring a bit of urgency and a change in pace to the side when deployed as a sub especially. He is an excellent role model for any young player.

I really think Notts should seek to retain his talents in the future and would like him to remain registered as a player next season and be involved in coaching Notts youngsters. I also think he will make a very good manager when that time comes. The guy is a gem.

For what it’s probably gonna cost Notts’s to keep him on as a coach/squad player seems an absolute no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    For what it’s probably gonna cost Notts’s to keep him on as a coach/squad player seems an absolute no brainer.
    Keeping him as a squad player comes with consequences though. If he's not anticipated to play, then it takes up one of the 22 places we have in the squad. I love JOB to bits, but if he's anywhere near the team next year, we've failed in recruitment. I'd love him as a coach and maybe if we need him, register him in January?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123