+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Romared Match Thoughts Barnsley v Northampton Town

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post

I wish posters would just try to consider recent history - at least try to remember what’s happened in recent years before posting such total ****.
    We have had a pleasant break during which the views/ opinions of other posters were respected, even if we strongly disagreed with them.

Sadly Nudger's return from his ban has brought with it this kind of intolerance.

Right then - let’s get all this shi.te spouted about the recruitment settled once and for all.

Name ONE player from last season that went to Wembley that’s played as good this season as they did last season !?!?!
    Just one.
    Name one player from last season that has improved this season !?!?!

NONE.

They have all gone backwards.
    Everyone of them.
    So how the hell can we start to judge the new recruits that’s come in if all the recognised players are all going backwards FGS.

As for defenders - every new defender signed for Barnsley in recent years has had to endure a torrent of abuse.
    No one more than Mads had to.

We have sold a list of defenders over these last few years including Pinnock, Lindsay, Sibbick, Helik, Brittain etc etc etc.
    Every head coach that took over the team at that time moulded the new defenders together into a unit.

Collins didn’t.
    End of - full stop - period.

I wish posters would just try to consider recent history - at least try to remember what’s happened in recent years before posting such total ****.
    I am sorry Nudger but this goes down as one of your posts that implies that you are right and everyone else is wrong , you are arguing for a recruitment policy that has clearly failed, you compare this seasons players with who turned out at wembley which is ridiculous considering that half that team are missing , incidentally I would also add that Cole & Kane have both had excellent seasons despite Coles goals drying up & have improved from last season plus Phillips since xmas has been back to his old self but hey you can blame Collins all you like but you cannot defend the indefensible and that is that these owners & their recruitment policy have been a total failure , the players they have brought in for Collins to work with are simply not up to standard , you only have to look at the number we have had to loan out to prove this & do not forget if you really believe that it is all down to Collins then ask yourself " who recruited him ? " They have now decided to role the dice with one game to go , lets hope they get lucky but frankly we so far from being a championship club both on and off the pitch that a negative result on saturday will not be the worst thing to happen , we are run in an embarrassing amature fashion & until we have football people running our club instead of a bunch of investors we will continue to stagnate or even decline , they are investors & investors make their money by buying and selling and I would recommend it is now time for them to sell .

Shads.
    Didn’t you see my post where I said Jules and Perky have been calling it right more or less.
    So then Shads - which of these in recent years were rubbish ???
    Solbeur
    Sibbick
    Helik
    Lindsay
    Pearson
    Yeadom
    Mads
    Pinnock
    Brittian
    Kitcking

All brought in using the same recruitment system.
    Some sold for big money - and then a new head coach coming in and having to mould a new defence together.

Something Collins couldn’t do.

The board at the beginning of the season would be the first to admit there wasn’t enough football knowledge at the club.
    Hence the reason they have strengthened the board.
    And does the lack of football knowledge at that time tie in with the appointment of Collins - and then the quick departure of Khaled?
    Because I believe there is a link there.

I’m guessing here - but im going to try and find out - that Khaled was asked to bring in a suitable HC that understood how Barnsley operated - and he brought in Collins.
    Who was found to be totally unsuitable for the job.
    Khaled then shown the door.

Shads.
    Didn’t you see my post where I said Jules and Perky have been calling it right more or less.
    So then Shads - which of these in recent years were rubbish ???
    Solbeur
    Sibbick
    Helik
    Lindsay
    Pearson
    Yeadom
    Mads
    Pinnock
    Brittian
    Kitcking

All brought in using the same recruitment system.
    Some sold for big money - and then a new head coach coming in and having to mould a new defence together.

Something Collins couldn’t do.

The board at the beginning of the season would be the first to admit there wasn’t enough football knowledge at the club.
    Hence the reason they have strengthened the board.
    And does the lack of football knowledge at that time tie in with the appointment of Collins - and then the quick departure of Khaled?
    Because I believe there is a link there.

I’m guessing here - but im going to try and find out - that Khaled was asked to bring in a suitable HC that understood how Barnsley operated - and he brought in Collins.
    Who was found to be totally unsuitable for the job.
    Khaled then shown the door.
    Firstly I have never ever disrespected any player by calling them rubbish , whilst you list a number of players who turned out to be more than useful players you fail to make a list of those who have not been so good , interestingly none of your list of decent signings were brought in this season which actually says it all , the point is that recruitment in the last summer & subsequent windows has left us with a much weaker squad hence the point of this discussion , the recruitment team sold Mr Collins down the river , now here is a list from this season who have been disappointing to say the least ;
    Mael
    Leoparta
    Sheppherd
    McCart
    Dallas
    Shaw
    Watters
    Grant
    You seem to suffer from selective memory loss Nudge , we are discussing the Northampton fixture & highlighting why we have ended up going into the last game of the season with every chance of blowing our useful position of a month ago , mentioning players who have been successful from past times does not explain how we have been miss managed by our custodians to the point they now have taken to rolling the dice with 90 minutes of the season left , minds you I will give them credit for one thing this season and that is apart from one of the Manchester clubs we will be the only team not to lose a match in the FA Cup this season , words fail me , they have made us a laughing stock , its time for them to put the for sale sign up & move on , they might be fine honest people with good intentions unfotunately they are not right good at running a football club .

Right then - let’s get all this shi.te spouted about the recruitment settled once and for all.

Name ONE player from last season that went to Wembley that’s played as good this season as they did last season !?!?!
    Just one.
    Name one player from last season that has improved this season !?!?!

NONE.

They have all gone backwards.
    Everyone of them.
    So how the hell can we start to judge the new recruits that’s come in if all the recognised players are all going backwards FGS.

As for defenders - every new defender signed for Barnsley in recent years has had to endure a torrent of abuse.
    No one more than Mads had to.

We have sold a list of defenders over these last few years including Pinnock, Lindsay, Sibbick, Helik, Brittain etc etc etc.
    Every head coach that took over the team at that time moulded the new defenders together into a unit.

Collins didn’t.
    End of - full stop - period.

What you conveniently overlook is that last summers recruitment was from a lower level than usual. They were also mostly free transfers. That is not in line with the recruitment from previous years under this regime is it?

The players you mention that came to Oakwell and were successful and then moved on, well they cost us money didn't they? Here's what we paid for the players you mentioned.....

Mads- 900k
    Pinnock- 570k
    Lindsay- 400k
    Sibbick- 225k
    Helik- 800k

Defensive recruitment summer 2023/January 2024

Corey O'keefe- undisclosed???
    Mael- 300k
    Lopata- free
    Sheppard- ?? Probably a bag of footballs
    Lofthouse- free
    Pines- free
    Earl- undisclosed???

Now with all due respect Nudger, I have considered recent history and there it is above in black and white ^^^

Face the facts Nudger.

Our recruitment has gone downhill in the last 9 months. Not only are we looking at/signing out of contract players, we're looking for them in a low level of football.

Moulding decent quality defenders like Pinnock and Lindsay together, or Mads and Helik is much easier than what players Collins got given.

They are just not up to the job. Maybe another year and they'll start to progress individually. However, we can't be signing players from that level of the game and expecting to mould them instantly into league 1 promotion standard.

Collins did the best he could and i think deserves credit for getting us to 5th after 45 matches. Just accept that the players (defenders) that he was given weren't up to the required standard. THAT IS DOWN TO THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND RECRUITMENT TEAM.

Also the former Head Coach who you lambasted for months was recruited by these very same people.

I know it doesn't register on yhi Nudger but one day I hope the penny will drop. These people who are calling the shots at Oakwell aren't up to standard in terms of running a football club. It's c0ck up after c0ck up.

To quote Laurel & Hardy in regard of the hierarchy at Grove St- that's another fine mess you gotten us into

Over and out

Every defender who has joined Barnsley in recent years has been subjected to abuse.
    None more than Mads.
    Basically because they came from lower league clubs.
    It’s no different now - except for one thing - past HCs have moulded the defence into a unit.
    Collins didn’t.

We have good defenders at the club - especially for this league.
    Mael and Earl looking good.
    The bits we saw of Pines he looked excellent.
    Shepherd will come good.
    McCart looks solid.

What we have now at the club can be compared favourably with what we have had in the past.
    The recruitment strategy that signed the likes of Pinnock, Lindsay and Helik remains the same.
    All were raw recruits when they signed.
    Only the HC has changed.

But certainly none of these defenders have worked as a unit.
    They all play as tho they have just met.
    But whose fault is that !?!?!

Does anyone remember the brilliant offside trap we used to have.
    That’s gone.
    And the last time I saw a centre back racing well forward with the ball it was Kitching.
    That’s gone.

I don’t know about O’Keefe and Cotter because I haven’t been able to work out what position they have been playing this season.
    They definitely haven’t been playing in a position I would describe as a wing-back.
    Similar can be said of Williams and Cadden who have performed worse this season.

If Disco is able to salvage anything from this shambles left by Collins then he will have done well.

Excellent Disco interview on Radio Sheffield.

Key moments when he said:
    He will change how the team plays.
    He knows how the club (directors) expect the team to play.
    The team will press more.
    The team will move the ball quicker going forward.

Clearly Disco has a much better idea of the Game Model.

Moulded as a unit or not, it's individual errors that's costing us. It has been all season whether it be from not picking up on set pieces to lack of concentration, leaving runners or being slow to react, being out muscled when defending set plays, waiting for others to take the responsibility and generally switching off. We seem to be struggling at the fundamentals of defending. They are simply just not up to the standard required at this club im sorry to say.

We are on a tun of 1 clean sheet in 18 games ffs.

33 goals conceded which averages at just under 2 goals per game in those last 18 matches.

63 goals conceded this season. The worst defence in the top 12 by a distance.

You'd have thought they might have learned by now.

What I do understand, which our Board with their obvious arrogance and footballing naivety tend to overlook, is the need for an experienced centre aif who could double as captain and leader on the pitch. An experienced pro to nurture our fledglings. The whole team lacks a leader for that matter.

Pines seems to be a leader from what I've seen and his injury was unfortunate timing but we need more than him in as he is still learning not only the game of football itself, but English football too.

We are joint bottom of the form guide in these last 5 games. Doesn't inspire confidence does it. The only optimism I can take any solace from recently was the performance at Portsmouth. Still, we had to score 4 to have won

He's had 4 days to make these changes. Do you really think he can get those ideals across to our players and the players implement them? I have doubts, this is why Collins sacking was so bizarre.

In an earlier post you said it would take some time to knock the Collins Way out of the players and now because Disco has said all the things you want to hear you've decided to jump on that bandwagon now .

Disco will always say the right things , that's why he's still at the club after all these years although they haven't trusted him with the HC job on a permanent basis have they ?

Any car salesman seeing thee walk on to his forecourt must think all his Christmases have come at once .

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast