+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dave's take on the Blades win and Taffy's death.

Dave's take on the Blades win and Taffy's death.

Yesterday’s emphatic 4-1 win at Sheffield United’s Bramall Lane stadium was an uplifting conclusion to what had otherwise been a melancholy twenty four hours for Burnley Football Club as news broke of the passing of Leighton James, one of the club’s most prominent and accomplished players.

For those of us old enough to have seen him play, his memory will burn bright in our collective memories; shoulders and head over a ball securely at his command; a sudden jink or burst of pace to rid him of the attentions of a defender; then a cross onto the grateful head of Fletcher, Casper or Hankin; or a cut inside before unleashing a powerful shot with either foot. James was in many ways the Gareth Bale of his day.

Although a Welshman to the very core of his being, he embraced life in Burnley to the extent of three spells at the club. His first was as a prodigious youngster, playing a prominent role in Burnley’s 1973 Second Division Championship team, then taking easily to life in the top division before Bob Lord sold him to the then Champions, Derby County.

But he joined the Rams just as the team built by Brian Clough had passed its peak effectiveness and he was moved on to QPR before re-joining Burnley, who by that time were treading water back in the Second Division.

His old Wales strike partner, John Toshack took him to Swansea, the final component of a second tier Championship winning Welsh team.

Spells at Bury and Newport followed before his third and final spell at Turf Moor saw him play a part in the Great Escape of the 1986-87 season, culminating in the Orient game where his experience and big match mentality were ***** in seeing Burnley through to continued Football League tenure.

If the Clarets are to mount a similar “Great Escape” this season, then they have at least given themselves a glimmer – no more – of hope by completing a League double over the hapless Blades to the tune of a 9-1 aggregate score.

The enigma of Arijanet Muric continues, after recent expensive blunders, he pulled off a string of impressive saves to repel early Sheffield pressure, before Jacob Brunn Larsen’s deflected daisy cutter gave Burnley the lead which was then doubled by Laurent Assignon’s shimmy and toe poke.

But a lead for Burnley this season never has the aura of security about it and it came as no surprise when Hamer pulled back a goal for the Blades early in the second half.

Our nerves were settled and fears laid to rest however when a skilfully constructed move was concluded by Assignon’s silky run and precise pass to Lyle Foster who tucked the ball neatly away.

This was followed almost immediately by Johann Berg Gudmundsson unmolested at the far post to score with a low left foot drive and place the destiny of the points beyond any reasonable doubt.

Burnley have now lost only one of their last seven games, signs, albeit late, that the squad is improving and having greater belief in themselves. The warm glow of this victory should not however obscure the harsh mathematical reality that in all likelihood, The Clarets will have to win three of their remaining four games to stand a chance of remaining in the Premier League; that means winning at either Old Trafford or White Hart Lane. A tall order indeed. (Dave Thornley scripted this piece.)

Name:  bladesblunted.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  90.5 KB

A tighter game than the scoreline would suggest, mainly because the Blades missed good chances, as we have been doing all season, however, we took our chances for a change and won the game.
    JBG's strike was an absolute beauty, I was lucky enough to be sat in the Family Stand and I was right behind the flight of t he ball.
    In 2024 I have managed to get to three home games nad yesterday's away game. Two wins and two draws in those four games, can they keep it up at my next one which is the Newcastle game?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    A tighter game than the scoreline would suggest, mainly because the Blades missed good chances, as we have been doing all season, however, we took our chances for a change and won the game.
    JBG's strike was an absolute beauty, I was lucky enough to be sat in the Family Stand and I was right behind the flight of t he ball.
    In 2024 I have managed to get to three home games nad yesterday's away game. Two wins and two draws in those four games, can they keep it up at my next one which is the Newcastle game?
    The Gateshead Council decision not to support their own team's EFL aspirations is a bit of a sick joke mein freund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    The Gateshead Council decision not to support their own team's EFL aspirations is a bit of a sick joke mein freund.
    No surprise really with a Labour Councilin charge. They have to ensure that they have enough funds to pay for the councillors and their expenses, nothing else matters as long as that happens.
    There is all hell on up here but it will make no difference ----- unless they can vote the greens in ----they seem to have the answer to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    No surprise really with a Labour Councilin charge. They have to ensure that they have enough funds to pay for the councillors and their expenses, nothing else matters as long as that happens.
    There is all hell on up here but it will make no difference ----- unless they can vote the greens in ----they seem to have the answer to everything.
    I have said many times on here the better I got to know how ANY council operates the worse it gets.

I'm not at all sure the colour of the day makes that much (if any) difference whatsoever mein freund.

I have turned the "opportunity" down more times than I can shake a stick at and totally glad I did.

I think it's disgraceful what Gateshead Council have done.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I have said many times on here the better I got to know how ANY council operates the worse it gets.

I'm not at all sure the colour of the day makes that much (if any) difference whatsoever mein freund.

I have turned the "opportunity" down more times than I can shake a stick at and totally glad I did.

I think it's disgraceful what Gateshead Council have done.
    Well said BT. It would not surprise me at all to see the Stadium sold off for housing or other development just to get more cash in the kitty.
    To be honest, the club must also shoulder some blame for not doing more to sort things out when they knew that they could be struggling to get the necessary agreement from the council. As always, it is the fans who I feel sorry for because they have really supported the club since it nearly went out of existence a few years ago.

Colne Dynamos had similar ground problems when they won promotion to the National League in 1990, there were discussions about ground sharing with us and plans for a new stadium, but it ended with Dynamos going out of business, although there were other issues in the background that led to that.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)