+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Forest Crying (Again)

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    It's an opinion I hear and understand, but since the first ball was kicked the game has become ever more commercial. Today football's a multi-billion pound industry where one wrong decision could in effect cost a club millions (say like Chesterfield being robbed of an FA Cup Final appearance in 1997), or a mistake dictating promotion/relegation in a final day 'decider'.

Align those 'stakes' with constant evolution of technology and it's inevitable - I believe anyway - that the use of that technology to minimise mistakes will only grow over time. The VAR genie won't be put back in the bottle, in fact more such technology will probably follow on. the only reason we don't see it at our level - yet - is the cost of installing and operating it, but I'm sure it will only be a matter of time.
    Yes one wrong decision can cost a club millions but another club benefits by those millions. And Yes it may seem unfair at times but that only adds to the excitement and spontaneity.
    Remember in the long run, what goes around comes around.
    They could start by taking VAR away from offside decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    It's an opinion I hear and understand, but since the first ball was kicked the game has become ever more commercial. Today football's a multi-billion pound industry where one wrong decision could in effect cost a club millions (say like Chesterfield being robbed of an FA Cup Final appearance in 1997), or a mistake dictating promotion/relegation in a final day 'decider'.

Align those 'stakes' with constant evolution of technology and it's inevitable - I believe anyway - that the use of that technology to minimise mistakes will only grow over time. The VAR genie won't be put back in the bottle, in fact more such technology will probably follow on. the only reason we don't see it at our level - yet - is the cost of installing and operating it, but I'm sure it will only be a matter of time.
    Yes one wrong decision can cost a club millions but another club benefits by those millions. And Yes it may seem unfair at times but that only adds to the excitement and spontaneity.
    Remember in the long run, what goes around comes around.
    They could start by taking VAR away from offside decisions.

Sorry about the duplication folks. No idea how that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    It’s nowhere near that simple, VAR is a tool that’s sucking the life out of the game. It’s killing it to the extent that if it ever appeared at our level I would seriously consider calling it a day. Refereeing errors have been part and parcel of the game since the first ball was kicked, but they are honest errors. The margins are very fine and you need lines on a computer screen to decide, and even then it’s not always conclusive. It completely ruins the spontaneity that makes the game special.

And I said exactly the same after we were robbed against Coventry.
    It seems to work much better in euros and the World Cup than it does here, I’ve no idea how they seem to pull it off better than the PL manages.

I never wanted any technology near the game, the PL version of var is exactly how I thought it would turn out. Keep tech to offsides and the goal line, if they did that maybe it could then be extended to all 5 top divisions. Nothing will ever stop the likes of the clowns who run Forest from whining about refs though.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    They weren’t accusing the officials of making mistakes, they accused an official of deliberately acting against them because he supports one of their rivals in the table. Then a day later realised they’d gone far too far and started massively backsliding.
    You have to be careful not to read into something what isn't being said. Nowhere did the tweet say that. They could have been inferring that Stuart Attwell's judgement could have been clouded by the fact that he is a Luton fan. I'm sure any football fan could understand how that could happen. Really, Attwell should have turned down the position for the game when it was given to him as a conflict of interest.

"Three extremely poor decisions - three penalties not given - which we simply cannot accept.

We warned the PGMOL that the VAR is a Luton fan before the game but they didn’t change him. Our patience has been tested multiple times."

Forest said they 'warned' the PGMOL, who replied by saying that Forest never asked for him to be removed - semantics from the PGMOL there.
    Last edited by Lullapie; 26-04-2024 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    It’s nowhere near that simple, VAR is a tool that’s sucking the life out of the game. It’s killing it to the extent that if it ever appeared at our level I would seriously consider calling it a day. Refereeing errors have been part and parcel of the game since the first ball was kicked, but they are honest errors. The margins are very fine and you need lines on a computer screen to decide, and even then it’s not always conclusive. It completely ruins the spontaneity that makes the game special.

And I said exactly the same after we were robbed against Coventry.
    It works reasonably well in Rugby. You do get the odd bad decision, but generally it isn't too bad. Football has made it into a farce though and throughout the world, has opened up even more levels of corruption.

There was a big thing here in New Zealand in the 2022 World Cup play offs in Qatar when New Zealand equalised against Costa Rica. The VAR went back over a minute of play to find something that could have been called a foul and disallowed the goal. New Zealanders only complain about rugby stuff that goes against them, but watching that game, you could sense something was wrong with the officiating.

The biggest error we can make, is to believe that there's no-one that can't be corrupted by money, blackmail or allegiance. Sport is probably worse today than it has ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    You have to be careful not to read into something what isn't being said. Nowhere did the tweet say that. They could have been inferring that Stuart Attwell's judgement could have been clouded by the fact that he is a Luton fan. I'm sure any football fan could understand how that could happen. Really, Attwell should have turned down the position for the game when it was given to him as a conflict of interest.

"Three extremely poor decisions - three penalties not given - which we simply cannot accept.

We warned the PGMOL that the VAR is a Luton fan before the game but they didn’t change him. Our patience has been tested multiple times."

Forest said they 'warned' the PGMOL, who replied by saying that Forest never asked for him to be removed - semantics from the PGMOL there.

Wot? You’re dealing in semantics yourself. Forest’s initial tweet can be easily inferred as suggesting Attwell deliberately didn’t give them penalties because he supports a rival, which is why they pulled back on it the next day. ‘Having his judgment clouded’ is just a different way of saying the same thing.

For Attwell to overturn any of those decisions there had to be a ‘clear and obvious’ error. You could possibly make the case there was in one of those situations but certainly not the other two.

I watched a bit of the Brighton game last night and they had a penalty appeal turned down at 1-0 which was at least as clear as those Forest decisions. I’m yet to see any fuss about it but then they aren’t owned by a temperamental shipping magnate possibly about to lose millions because he’s bought a load of crap players.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Wot? You’re dealing in semantics yourself. Forest’s initial tweet can be easily inferred as suggesting Attwell deliberately didn’t give them penalties because he supports a rival, which is why they pulled back on it the next day. ‘Having his judgment clouded’ is just a different way of saying the same thing.

For Attwell to overturn any of those decisions there had to be a ‘clear and obvious’ error. You could possibly make the case there was in one of those situations but certainly not the other two.

I watched a bit of the Brighton game last night and they had a penalty appeal turned down at 1-0 which was at least as clear as those Forest decisions. I’m yet to see any fuss about it but then they aren’t owned by a temperamental shipping magnate possibly about to lose millions because he’s bought a load of crap players.
    But we musn't forget that Brighton were playing the 'untouchable' Manchester City.

Was Forests appeal on Wednesday this week. If so what was the outcome or when will it be announced?

Quote Originally Posted by bule1 View Post
    Was Forests appeal on Wednesday this week. If so what was the outcome or when will it be announced?
    Yes, next week they find out

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast