+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 60th Anniversay.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    I have a copy of the match programme (cost 4d!) which shows the match was originally scheduled to be played on Saturday 14 March 1964. That Saturday was FA Cup Semi Final day and our league fixture was postponed but I am not sure why as neither Spurs or Burnley were involved in the semi-finals.
    Could this have been the reason Sir Outwood ? I reckon the game was snowed off.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lanc...IdJ_6VS_0,st:0

That was a good bit of detective work sinky.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Could this have been the reason Sir Outwood ? I reckon the game was snowed off.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lanc...IdJ_6VS_0,st:0
    Your post prompted me to look at games which did go ahead on March 14 including the FA Cup Semi-Final at Villa Park between Swansea and Preston. The match report from that game refers to numerous league games being called off because of torrential rain. Weather was clearly the issue whether rain or snow.

Your post prompted me to look at games which did go ahead on March 14 including the FA Cup Semi-Final at Villa Park between Swansea and Preston. The match report from that game refers to numerous league games being called off because of torrential rain. Weather was clearly the issue whether rain or snow.
    Fecking climate change, or could it have been Brexit ?

He didn’t score sinkov but 18 year old wing half Sammy made his league debut in an unaccustomed right back position in the fixture replacing the injured John Angus.
    Just been looking at Ray Simpson's Clarets Collection Outwood, he says after John Angus got injured Freddie Smith replaced him, then Freddie got injured and Sammy made his debut as 3rd choice right-back.

I think you're right about the rain Outwood, I've found these quotes about the semi-finals,

"Both semi-finals were played in quagmire conditions on a day when the majority of league matches were postponed due to the conditions."
    "The all-2nd Division clash was also played in swamp-like conditions and both teams found it difficult to adjust in the early going."

There's a photo from Hillsborough of the referee and captains Bobby Moore and Denis Law at the coin toss, they're all peering down trying to spot the coin which has disappeared into the mud. There's a photo of Villa Park where the other semi was played, it looks like Blackpool beach just after the tide's gone out. You could imagine someone in the middle of the pitch with a bucket and spade digging for cockles.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I think you're right about the rain Outwood, I've found these quotes about the semi-finals,

"Both semi-finals were played in quagmire conditions on a day when the majority of league matches were postponed due to the conditions."
    "The all-2nd Division clash was also played in swamp-like conditions and both teams found it difficult to adjust in the early going."

There's a photo from Hillsborough of the referee and captains Bobby Moore and Denis Law at the coin toss, they're all peering down trying to spot the coin which has disappeared into the mud. There's a photo of Villa Park where the other semi was played, it looks like Blackpool beach just after the tide's gone out. You could imagine someone in the middle of the pitch with a bucket and spade digging for cockles.
    sinkov, it all sounds absolutely disgusting, how could they let players play in those conditions? They must have got dirty and all they would get at the end of it would be a place in the FA Cup Final, which is a rubbish competition.
    Anyone would think that the players must have enjoyed the game in those days. I just can't understand it.

I still remember the Turf Moor pitch from the evening of the 21st. I don’t think it had fully recovered. It was an absolute squelchbog in places especially the goalmouths.

The first game that I remember clearly was a 5-1 cup win over Villa at Turf Moor in 1947 when we were a Div 2 team. The team in those days was rarely changed and I can churn it out anytime .Strong, Woodruff, Maher, Attwell, Brown ,Bray, Chew, Morris, Harrison, Potts, Kippax(playing as an amateur). A lot of locals among that lot. A few years later I saw and spoke to Harold Maher in Hargreaves ironmongers on Parliament St he was working as a labourer. Todays lot never had it so good but I'm not sure they realise it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)