+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: You'll see me in court

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In tennis there are clear lines delineating in or out painted on the ground. In football, at least as regards offsides, there are not. They are subsequently superimposed by VAR and IMHO don't always seem to be particularly straight or in right place. If VAR was used for goal line crossing or even throw ins, that's clear. For offside decisions it's flawed and there needs to be leeway to go with refs call when it's tight, or be specific benefit of doubt given to attackers (unless they are ManU).

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    In tennis there are clear lines delineating in or out painted on the ground. In football, at least as regards offsides, there are not. They are subsequently superimposed by VAR and IMHO don't always seem to be particularly straight or in right place. If VAR was used for goal line crossing or even throw ins, that's clear. For offside decisions it's flawed and there needs to be leeway to go with refs call when it's tight, or be specific benefit of doubt given to attackers (unless they are ManU).
    Not really disagreeing with you, GP and your tennis example is clearly correct…but in cricket you know as well as I do that there is no actual coloured strip down the centre of the wicket and ‘Hawkeye’ also manages (miraculously) to determine the projected trajectory of the ball. Likewise in rugby there are seldom any lines to determine offsides, which are more widespread than in football, or forward passes and yet decisions seem to be accepted far more gracefully in cricket and both rugby codes.

Shouldn’t be beyond the technicians to come up with a foolproof system, indeed they probably already have, it’s the occasional fools that implement it that need ‘proofing’.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    decisions seem to be accepted far more gracefully in cricket and both rugby codes.

’.
    …and also in the more litigious/adversarial Land Of The Free where they respect (accept) refs decisions, where I can only remember 1 ‘booth review’ I disagreed with all last season, and where they have a ‘coaches challenge’ for perceived injustices which again is consistently reviewed and also adds spice.

Perhaps the answer is to load every pr match with 20 time outs for adverts?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    …and also in the more litigious/adversarial Land Of The Free where they respect (accept) refs decisions, where I can only remember 1 ‘booth review’ I disagreed with all last season, and where they have a ‘coaches challenge’ for perceived injustices which again is consistently reviewed and also adds spice.

Perhaps the answer is to load every pr match with 20 time outs for adverts?
    Sorry didn’t say that’s NFL

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)