+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a squad for the Premiership

I'd keep Wotherspoon. He is a good professional. He lives in Perth, so he would also like to stay as being fairly local. Clever player IMO, one that the young midfielders at the club should look up to.

Of the others on that list, I would keep Moult, Sibbald, McMann, Walton if possible, Meekison, Graham and Mochrie. I don't think St Johnstone will sell McClelland to us. Might have to wait a year for him.

Would Craig MacGillivary be a good keeper to be the number one or compete with Walton? I don't think Newman is ready yet and we know only too well that having good goalies goes a long way in picking up points.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabs4ever View Post
    I'd keep Wotherspoon. He is a good professional. He lives in Perth, so he would also like to stay as being fairly local. Clever player IMO, one that the young midfielders at the club should look up to.

Of the others on that list, I would keep Moult, Sibbald, McMann, Walton if possible, Meekison, Graham and Mochrie. I don't think St Johnstone will sell McClelland to us. Might have to wait a year for him.

Would Craig MacGillivary be a good keeper to be the number one or compete with Walton? I don't think Newman is ready yet and we know only too well that having good goalies goes a long way in picking up points.
    Yeah, agree on Wotherspoon, Prem experience valuable but we'll need at least one more midfield playmaker to help Sibbald Docherty and Wotherspoon for suspensions/injuries.

Wonder what the contract situation is with siegrist? Proven SPL, prob not want to come back, but year to rebuild his career. Walton still has a year of his contract with Luton, I like him, he has been a great signing for us, seems a good guy too, but didn't always have loads to do, so reliable but hard to judge shot stopping (last week excepted).

Quote Originally Posted by Stoke_Arab View Post
    Yeah, agree on Wotherspoon, Prem experience valuable but we'll need at least one more midfield playmaker to help Sibbald Docherty and Wotherspoon for suspensions/injuries.
    How many games docherty and wetherspoon going to play though? I don't think you can rely on building team on either of those two with injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    How many games docherty and wetherspoon going to play though? I don't think you can rely on building team on either of those two with injuries.
    I agree. If we get 25 games from each of them we might be doing well. Hence my question.
    Imo we need to sign two midfielders even if they stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoke_Arab View Post
    I agree. If we get 25 games from each of them we might be doing well. Hence my question.
    Imo we need to sign two midfielders even if they stay.
    I would like to see both these guys in next years squad, but i dont see Wotherspoon as a game every week player. Doc on the other hand is who we should be building our team around, but there is the hope that this season is just one off as he doesnt have an injury history like Wotherspoon the past few years.

The danger is though that we loose the 2 who are out of contract, Sibbald(extention triggered?) and Wotherspoon, then we need 4 new midfielders. As long as we find as good or better than Doc/Sibbs, then think we will ok. If the answer is Tilson then i give up!

Of those out of contract

Im sure i dont need to mention the fecking clown by name! Get Tae!
    Jack Walton, would have him back if a deal can be done.
    Kevin Holt, Think he deserves another 2 year deal, but as understudy to Ross Graham, also 2 year deal.
    Scott McMann, really steady season and a player i really like, but im tainted by last season. I am though minded that he was fecked about so much and maybe another 2 year deal.
    Sam McClelland, Solid at this level, does make some mistakes that he has gotten away with, but if we can get him on a 2/3 year deal, he will improve and make us some money!
    Craig Sibbald, hope he has triggered an extension, but i hope we can negotiate a longer stay.
    David Wotherspoon, 1 year deal as a squad player.
    Louis Moult, deserves an extension, but fear he has other offers!

Chris Mochrie, i think the romance surrounding his key goals this season is clouding my judgement, but he really should be commanding a starting spot by now, so is it time?

As for Archie Meekison, Declan Glass and Matthew Anim Cudjoe, i dont think they have done enough to merit a new contract so its time to move on.

Sadat Anaku, i think is the epitome of what was so bad about the Asghar era, then he got injured to make matters worse! I think there is a duty of care issue here where the club should be getting him back to fitness before releasing him.

As for Alex Greive and Jordan Tillson, i really hope they are not in next seasons plans!

So for next season we've got:

Declan Gallagher, understudy to McClelland.
    Tony Watt, devides opinion, but would offer him an extension for a reduced annual wage, but we need more from him.
    Ross Docherty, build the team around him and Sibbald.
    Liam Grimshaw, hate me if you want, but he was good for this level, but no confidence in him for next season.
    Glenn Middleton, His assists speak for themselves, but he should be looking at Kais goal stats!
    Jack Newman, need to see where he is at.
    Kai Fotheringham, fear we may get an offer for him, but i would negotiate an extension but needs to work on his consistency and wonder what that would do for his goal tally!

If i have that right, thats 15 players, so i expect we could do with another 7 players for a baseline squad with back up from the youngsters. Hopefully the backing we have given them this season, along with transfer clause payments, then fingers crossed there is money available for a healthy summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Of those out of contract

Im sure i dont need to mention the fecking clown by name! Get Tae!
    Jack Walton, would have him back if a deal can be done.
    Kevin Holt, Think he deserves another 2 year deal, but as understudy to Ross Graham, also 2 year deal.
    Scott McMann, really steady season and a player i really like, but im tainted by last season. I am though minded that he was fecked about so much and maybe another 2 year deal.
    Sam McClelland, Solid at this level, does make some mistakes that he has gotten away with, but if we can get him on a 2/3 year deal, he will improve and make us some money!
    Craig Sibbald, hope he has triggered an extension, but i hope we can negotiate a longer stay.
    David Wotherspoon, 1 year deal as a squad player.
    Louis Moult, deserves an extension, but fear he has other offers!

Chris Mochrie, i think the romance surrounding his key goals this season is clouding my judgement, but he really should be commanding a starting spot by now, so is it time?

As for Archie Meekison, Declan Glass and Matthew Anim Cudjoe, i dont think they have done enough to merit a new contract so its time to move on.

Sadat Anaku, i think is the epitome of what was so bad about the Asghar era, then he got injured to make matters worse! I think there is a duty of care issue here where the club should be getting him back to fitness before releasing him.

As for Alex Greive and Jordan Tillson, i really hope they are not in next seasons plans!

So for next season we've got:

Declan Gallagher, understudy to McClelland.
    Tony Watt, devides opinion, but would offer him an extension for a reduced annual wage, but we need more from him.
    Ross Docherty, build the team around him and Sibbald.
    Liam Grimshaw, hate me if you want, but he was good for this level, but no confidence in him for next season.
    Glenn Middleton, His assists speak for themselves, but he should be looking at Kais goal stats!
    Jack Newman, need to see where he is at.
    Kai Fotheringham, fear we may get an offer for him, but i would negotiate an extension but needs to work on his consistency and wonder what that would do for his goal tally!

If i have that right, thats 15 players, so i expect we could do with another 7 players for a baseline squad with back up from the youngsters. Hopefully the backing we have given them this season, along with transfer clause payments, then fingers crossed there is money available for a healthy summer.

Fair summary.

Be good if we could get McClelland and Walton back.

Also there is Miller T who is quality and we should tie to a long term deal

I presume Logan Chalmers is now out of contract and will head to Ayr or similar

Liam McLeod / Owen Stirton still young and could be in matchday squads

St Johnstone might be more willing to do business if they get relegated. Mclelland and Holt are untested at SPL level, think both might struggle against nippy pacey players you don't come up against in championship. Gallagher has not looked as good since injury. I think Holt deserves a contract, plus he can cover left back. Really harsh on mcmann, as he has been one of our most consistent players, but if his contract is up, then you could get an upgrade possibly there. Right back is a glaring area that needs strengthening. It's all about quality you bring in though, all fair and well me saying get rid of certain players, but if the replacements aren't up to it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of our out of contract lads go down south to chase the money in the lower leagues. I think that we are going to have to move real quick in the transfer market, because we are needing one helluva transfer window.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)