+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a squad for the Premiership

Teams that ditch their promotion winning players tend to struggle and I think it'd be a mistake to go down this route.

Obviously we need to improve the quality of the squad but pretty much the whole thing? Nah.

There is a definite spine going through the team there Walton, Gallagher, Docherty, Sibbald, Moult that would be unwise to disrupt. What is needed is to build quality on to that spine especially in the areas that have dogged us for some time - creativity. Hopefully the new recruitment chief and JG have been identified suitable targets. Hand it to JG he is not bad when when it comes to this.

For me would be keeping majority of the starting xi, putting the odd young one out on loan and bringing in 5-10 good signings to bolster and the squad

To definitely be in next seasons squad

Holt, Graham, McMann, Grimshaw, Thomson, Docherty, Sibbald, Mochrie, Kai, Middleton, Watt and Moult

Unsure on Gallagher with his performance after injury, and Wotherspoon, he has quality so maybe a one year, not sure

Try to get Walton and McClelland back to sign

Meekison and Mcleod loan out to championship

Then get your key summer signings in to strengthen the starting xi, that gives us plenty depth

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Teams that ditch their promotion winning players tend to struggle and I think it'd be a mistake to go down this route.

Obviously we need to improve the quality of the squad but pretty much the whole thing? Nah.
    Agree we should not be ditching the whole lot, but as far as i can make out, the only ones under contract for next seasons squad are Newman, Grimshaw, Gallagher, Docherty, Watt, Kai and Middleton plus a bunch of youngsters, 3 of which are not regular starters in the top flight IMHO.

Key for me is getting Walton and McClelland back and extended contracts for Sibbald, Graham, Holt, McMann, Moult, Thomson and maybe Mochrie and Wotherspoon. Still leaves 9 or 10 short for a squad to cement its place in the top flight.

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    There is a definite spine going through the team there Walton, Gallagher, Docherty, Sibbald, Moult that would be unwise to disrupt. What is needed is to build quality on to that spine especially in the areas that have dogged us for some time - creativity. Hopefully the new recruitment chief and JG have been identified suitable targets. Hand it to JG he is not bad when when it comes to this.
    Goodwin made some good player signings at Aberdeen and interestingly the spine you identify was largely signed by him. So I do have faith in his ability to make good signings

I would consider having a look at The boy Frizzell at Airdrie, He's out of contract and definitely worth a punt similar tonthe mould of Wotherspoon but much younger. The boy Arron Lyall looked good on Friday and another that's out of contract albeit from Rangers.

Ultimately it's down to budget, if money wasn't an issue then you could easily improve every player in our squad. As it is we will have to blend existing players with improved talent.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    Ultimately it's down to budget, if money wasn't an issue then you could easily improve every player in our squad. As it is we will have to blend existing players with improved talent.
    Think our budget for next season depends on who is holding the purse. On one hand and if he stays, Ogren has to look at the backing us fans have given the team this season and match that, especially when at least 4 of the home games have nudged and crossed the 10k mark. On the other hand, he sells up and the new owner is able to boost whatever budget is left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by no1arabbelfast View Post
    There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if this current squad is what we take into the Premier then numerous hammerings are certain.

Apart from the keeper, there is not one player I would be wanting to take into the Premier.

I agree but id say 2 , in that along with Walton , a fit and on form Moult would also cut it in the SPL IMO.

Aside from that any of the others are at best squad players and certainly not starters .
    Last edited by DBDU; 29-04-2024 at 12:29 PM.

I hope we ge the ownership sorted out quickly. The potential change of owner might change the direction of the club, with them bringing in their own management team etc and subsequently may put off some players from signing. I would say that the next couple of months are going to be massive for the club. We have to be looking at stability as our main objective, with progress on the field and a definitive plan moving forward!

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)