+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ashworth - taking us to arbitration

Ashworth - taking us to arbitration

So, news tonight is that Ashworth is suing us for arbitration to force a move through to Man Utd.

Who apperently are not budging on their £2 million offer.

Can someone explain to me what the **** he thinks arbitration will do?

He's our employee, on a long term contract that he signed of his own free will - if Man Utd won't meet the release price then nothing happens. We can't be told we have to accept a lower amount.

Surely this is correct?

Have to say - he's hurt his reputation a lot I think over the last few months.

I suspect that Man Utd have asked him to push forward with this (sorry, I'm sure it's all off his own back and their has been no contact ) because they want him in before they fire Ten Haag so that he can get a manager he can work with.

Really? The cheeky tw@t. He signed a contract -what's his case? Nasty Newcastle won't wet me goooowww....wahhhhh..

Get to fu.ck, man.

Time to tell that tramp Ratcliffe we want 30 million now to release him.

The only possible explanation I can think of is that he thinks he's been unfairly treated by the club and that’s why he forced a move (?)

We paid 5 million when he had a 9 month gardening leave clause

He now has an 18 month gardening leave clause.

We have every right to expect to charge more to release him, he’s had a step up, he’s at a club that played in the Champions league.

If his contract has pay related bonuses in, then he’d be able to claim being out on gardening leave is a financial penalty… but my understanding is that it doesn’t.

It stinks of desperation, and Man Utd can get f**ked if they think 2M is ever gonna get accepted.

Man Utd are also going to be riffling feathers with PIF… they should look elsewhere to offload the likes of Casemiro etc

Quote Originally Posted by Nufcian View Post
    We paid 5 million when he had a 9 month gardening leave clause

He now has an 18 month gardening leave clause.

We have every right to expect to charge more to release him, he’s had a step up, he’s at a club that played in the Champions league.

If his contract has pay related bonuses in, then he’d be able to claim being out on gardening leave is a financial penalty… but my understanding is that it doesn’t.

It stinks of desperation, and Man Utd can get f**ked if they think 2M is ever gonna get accepted.

Man Utd are also going to be riffling feathers with PIF… they should look elsewhere to offload the likes of Casemiro etc

He signed a contact. He decided he wanted to go to the red filth. We were happy for him to be out long term DoF. The only course of action is to go on gardening leave due to the conflict of interest.

Where is the case for abritation?

The red filth value him as the best DoF in the game, our lawyers will argue that with his background with England & his pedigree at various top flight clubs his value to us is significate. Especially as ManUre are a direct competitor. There is absolutely no way that there is any court in the land that could possibly side with Sh!teworth and Rat-Fvck!

Shameful sh!t.

what a scumbag

I’m actually quite comfortable with our case if this goes to arbitration… I think it is pretty obvious and in the cold light of day it actually comes across as more of a desperate attempt than something they have any real belief will help them.

At the crux of this we are talking about ‘non compete’ clauses in contractual law.

This is not a football specific issue, anything that is decided here could be brought up by anyone in any field of work in the UK.

Man Utd, as the league table showed last season and this season, are direct competitors with NUFC… they can try and live in their glory days and wish we were still under Ashley, but these days we are very similar in the table, but even if that were not the case, we’re in the same league which should be enough to prove it.

We paid a lot (as I said earlier) and his stock has risen, they’ve described him as one of the very best… there’s no arguing against his value.

Finally, I don’t think we can be forced to just roll over and accept any outcome, we could just as easily lodge an appeal if we don’t get what we want and tie him up beyond the summer window.

If they want to try and be cute and involve external bodies, we can do the same.

Having thought more about this, you can’t TAKE anyone to arbitration like you can take someone to court. Arbitration is when 2 parties can’t agree on a price (in this case) and so they both agree to let a third party decide what a fair price should be.
    It’s like, somehow, Manyoo think we are obliged to enter negotiations with them over Ashworth. The cheek of it.
    There’s a contract that he signed with us. If he made a mistake signing it then maybe he (as well as Manyoo) should put his hand in his pocket and try to buy his way out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Having thought more about this, you can’t TAKE anyone to arbitration like you can take someone to court. Arbitration is when 2 parties can’t agree on a price (in this case) and so they both agree to let a third party decide what a fair price should be.
    It’s like, somehow, Manyoo think we are obliged to enter negotiations with them over Ashworth. The cheek of it.
    There’s a contract that he signed with us. If he made a mistake signing it then maybe he (as well as Manyoo) should put his hand in his pocket and try to buy his way out of it.
    ....fair market price, 3rd party arbitrator. The coont will probably request it be the PL cartel.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    You’re right, they can’t, but I think both parties have to agree on the arbitration process before it can even begin… which includes who will be running it.

After this the next step would be to go to court if the decision of an arbitrator isn’t enacted.

Typically the court would look poorly on the party that rejected ann arbitrators decision, but that would only matter if the contract is not solid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)