+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Forest Green Rovers 27.04.24 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Think that's already full, this was for the bonus features!
    Should have cashed in on Macca in January when he was peak value and we was in play offs.
    Was he playing today? I never even heard his name mentioned if I’m honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    They will stick with him to prove they were right, but its doubtfull he will get much higher than mid table, then the bros will have to admit it- so why wait another 2 years ..?
    Why on Earth would they need to 'prove they were right'? They're many millions in and seeking (and investing heavily for) long term success so that makes absolutely zero sense.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    So to be clear you’re say they got him because their goal is to finish mid table each season and they will keep him another 3 seasons with mid table finishes to prove they were right?
    Well they almost said as much on the Forum (or whatever it was the other week). They are happy that the radar system is working, buy cheap and sell on, and they will continue to apply that principle (I paraphrase from a post on here).

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    It didn't matter in terms of there being any prizes on it, but a win today should have been possible against the bottom-placed team, and would have given us a 12th place and therefore top half finish.

I'm a tad annoyed to be honest, it was an opportunity for Maynard and Notts to make an assertive little statement and send fans into the summer feeling positive, especially with season tickets about to go on sale, and they haven't mustered the enthusiasm or guile to do it. All the previously stated doubts about Maynard being the right man to lead us forward therefore remain.
    True. I just didn't have any enthusiasm for today's game even before kick-off and was more interested in thinking about next season tbh. Shame on me.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Well they almost said as much on the Forum (or whatever it was the other week). They are happy that the radar system is working, buy cheap and sell on, and they will continue to apply that principle (I paraphrase from a post on here).
    The 'buy cheap and sell on' theory was very clearly debunked by RM in the Magpie Circle special with Joe Palmer.

They’ve never expressed “buy cheap and sell on” as a club policy. Their philosophy is all about finding gems like Macca, Jodi Jones and Cal Roberts, in effect paying under the odds for quality players. If we do sell Macca or JJ this summer, I’m sure the money will be invested into making us more competitive next season.

That’s not the policy. The policy is get as much value as they can out of the playing budget with the help of data. Do you think Crowley and Mcgoldrick are on the cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    They’ve never expressed “buy cheap and sell on” as a club policy. Their philosophy is all about finding gems like Macca, Jodi Jones and Cal Roberts, in effect paying under the odds for quality players. If we do sell Macca or JJ this summer, I’m sure the money will be invested into making us more competitive next season.
    "Value" was the key word I believe. They're happy to spend six figure sums on players like Jatta if they feel the value is there, and they don't want to sell unless silly money is on the table.

I don't really have a problem with the quality of recruitment overall. No regime will get every signing right and yes, we've had a scattering of underperforming and/or injury prone recruits, but taken as a whole the quality of the signings made under the current ownership over the past three years has been far and away better than any of the previous ownership regimes going back pretty much to the Pavis days (and excluding Munto because that was a con, signing players we couldn't afford).

It's because we got the recruitment right in the National League that we're now able to moan about slightly underperforming in League Two rather than still languishing in the non-league. Granted, some of the players who achieved what we brought them for in the National League now look less convincing in League Two, but that's fine, you gradually move them out and look for the ones that can make us a top team at this level. Crowley was a great piece of recruitment last summer.

The main criticism of the recruitment, for me, is the failure to date to address the need for more players who offer sufficient physicality, aggression and defensive ability. That's the task at hand, and it needs to be carried out this summer.
    Last edited by jackal2; 27-04-2024 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WarsopPie View Post
    Can’t blame the pitch today, we was absolutely awful pitch had nothing to do with it
    I don't recall 'blaming the pitch'. Just pointing out it was crap and that detracted from an already poor match.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    That’s not the policy. The policy is get as much value as they can out of the playing budget with the help of data. Do you think Crowley and Mcgoldrick are on the cheap?
    Crowley was coming even if we had stayed in the NL, so wouldn't be that expensive plus came from Morecambe who don't have a pot to piss in. Mcgoldrick wanted to come here. Wasn't about money. Remember Alan Smith being here & was on peanuts, said so himself

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast