+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Rams Are going UP!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Deffo keep him but unfortunately we kept her too long! Her names turned my innards over again just as they fancied some grub😩
    Sorry mac…although I think Honeybus were about ten years prior to the ‘milksnatcher’.

Equally, in fairness I wouldn't describe Fizzy as particularly Nimble.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Equally, in fairness I wouldn't describe Fizzy as particularly Nimble.
    You do realise that only the over 65’s understand that reference…leaving Sith even more bewildered than he was earlier.

Promotion to the Championship is worth a minimum of £8 million in terms of increased payments for championship clubs, that is then increased by £1 - 5 million through improved sponsorship deals, higher TV money, more corporate entertainment, higher gates (though tbh Derby's probably won't change significantly). Of course set against that are higher player wages and transfer fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    CORRECTION to thread title. The Rams have gone up, past tense. In fact they had at 2-44 when the thread started. Moving on....

So now to look forward to a future in the Championship. Now we know where we are playing, who in the squad is history and who to bring in - or rather, as well as Adams, who to bring in and what positions can we realistically strengthen?

Just one more thing to look forward to this season - Notts Forest joining us next season. I will become a Burnley fan for a couple of weeks I think: another last game of the season may be fun yet
    If one was splitting hairs, technically Derby haven't actually gone up, they are still currently in league 1 in 2nd place having won promotion. They will have gone up when the new fixture list for next season is published and have then been formally admitted to the Championship.

A word of appreciation for Clowes, who in complete opposite to Morris, has gone about his ownership in a quiet and unassuming manner, no grand gestures, no wild promises to fans. Who took his time and engaged advice on a strategy for rebuilding the club and getting them out of league 1 and then acted on it and stuck to that strategy even when a significant number of fans were calling for Warne to be sacked.

He has it seems kept from interfering in football matters, taking the view he has employed people to do that and unless progress was widely adrift of the aims, content to give those people the time and space to do their job.

Remember as well that this guy has paid in the region of £55 million to save the club and rebuild it. If anything he should have a statue outside pride Park just for that alone!

Indeed. I know it's a lower division but he got us out at the 2nd attempt. While there were times under Mel the closest he got us was 1 play off final with Lampard.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    A word of appreciation for Clowes, If anything he should have a statue outside pride Park
    Agreed although I doubt he’d welcome it. He seemed to enjoy a bit of the limelight on Saturday though!

Looking forward there’s been a few discussions online about future investment etc, and if DC chooses to sell on in due course for a profit (and to a fit and proper buyer) i for one won’t begrudge him a penny of it

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post

Looking forward there’s been a few discussions online about future investment etc, and if DC chooses to sell on in due course for a profit (and to a fit and proper buyer) i for one won’t begrudge him a penny of it
    Agreed, AF. He took on the club, and with it a massive risk, in hugely difficult circumstances.
    Despite having absolutely no previous experience of running a football club he acted out of ‘love’ for his childhood team and if he goes on to make a ‘bob or two’ then good luck to him.
    If he does sell, and I’ve seen no real sign of that, my only hope is that we don’t replace Mr. Clowes’ lack of experience and (possibly) resources with a.n.other’s lack of responsibility and genuine ‘feeling’ for DCFC.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Agreed, AF. He took on the club, and with it a massive risk, in hugely difficult circumstances.
    Despite having absolutely no previous experience of running a football club he acted out of ‘love’ for his childhood team and if he goes on to make a ‘bob or two’ then good luck to him.
    If he does sell, and I’ve seen no real sign of that, my only hope is that we don’t replace Mr. Clowes’ lack of experience and (possibly) resources with a.n.other’s lack of responsibility and genuine ‘feeling’ for DCFC.
    There aren't many "serial" owners of football clubs (apart from Forests owner apart and sports companies) so clearly the majority of those who buy a football club the key experience required is experience of running a business and an ability to not let ones emotions or the fan side of ones brain overrule the business side. Of course it can work the other way (The Glazers at Manure being an example, whereby the business side seems to be dominant.) In the end running any business doesn't require experience in that business, a balance sheet is a balance sheet and one can always hire the people with the operating experience which Clowes obviously has.

Its not like there are many people out there with the experience of owning a football club, there may well be people with the financial clout who for whatever reason fancy sharing ownership or taking on the ownership of a club, its their motives and financial nouse that becomes important.

The way forward is interesting, I would suggest that Clowes would probably like to share the risk and increase funds available, by seeking a partner to help finance the next stage. How long he wants to remain involved is anybody's guess, but it seems he is well aware that owning a football club is a way of making a small fortune, from the large one you start with!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)