+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pathetic Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    Hallelujah, we’re rid of Lai, that’s enough to make this season something to be happy about. Really though, we know next to nothing about the new owner but hopefully, he prove to be a good custodian. We have a manager that has put the team way above what most of us expected with no budget to speak of. We’ve lost a few matches, it happens, the manager makes wrong team selections (our opinion), it happens. We’re all hung up over the playoffs because we always want the Albion to win but winning the aforementioned playoffs will bring, almost certainly, a season of misery, which could cost our manager his job. The alternative is another season in the Championship, the most entertaining league that there is. Above all, remember, that we still have West Bromwich Albion, it has survived, despite Comrade Lai! Be happy, like me…….!
    While going up would most likely lead to an immediate drop....it would be worth it just as a two fingers flick at Lai. He sells for £60 million and the club immediately receive £100 million on promotion. That alone would make the drop back down worth it....

I appear to be one of the very few on here who thought that we would end up where we have done, in and around the play offs.I think that we have a better squad than many think. Yes, we are a little on the mature side and need to bring in younger players in the close season. For whatever reason our away form has been our major problem, plus the fact that, on too many occasions we only seem to perform at the required level for one of the halves. I will agree that Carlos’ selection for the Sheffield game was strange and when it was announced it didn’t fill me with confidence. The point has been made that due to injuries selection has been quite easy but now that the majority are fit he has more options to think about.
    Having said this I still think that last Saturday’s team was strange. Let’s hope that he gets it right against PNE as it will be disappointing if we fail to get into the play offs. I would probably go with Palmer, Furlong, Ajayi, Kipre, Reach, Mowatt, Yokuslu, Diangana, Wallace or Fellows, Johnston, Asante.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I appear to be one of the very few on here who thought that we would end up where we have done, in and around the play offs.I think that we have a better squad than many think. Yes, we are a little on the mature side and need to bring in younger players in the close season. For whatever reason our away form has been our major problem, plus the fact that, on too many occasions we only seem to perform at the required level for one of the halves. I will agree that Carlos’ selection for the Sheffield game was strange and when it was announced it didn’t fill me with confidence. The point has been made that due to injuries selection has been quite easy but now that the majority are fit he has more options to think about.
    Having said this I still think that last Saturday’s team was strange. Let’s hope that he gets it right against PNE as it will be disappointing if we fail to get into the play offs. I would probably go with Palmer, Furlong, Ajayi, Kipre, Reach, Mowatt, Yokuslu, Diangana, Wallace or Fellows, Johnston, Asante.

You are right Leicester! Come on for f uck sake - why would expectations not be we would be around the play offs? We missed out on the play offs last season by bottling it to Sunderland so why wouldn’t we be in a similar position this season. Some of the players have played in the premier and our wage bill is in the top six especially with the likes of Swift and Wallace who were seen as amongst the best two in the championship. Apart from Johnston the other loans have been poor. Is that Lai’s fault too as these players will be on decent money. Other clubs have done much better with loan signings. Many moan about the likes of Bartley - Townsend - M’vila - Phillips - Wallace but they get selected and there’s alternatives. Surely deep analysis needs to be done on why we are shocking away? The football was good at Leicester apart from the gifting of both goals so why was this not carried forward to Sheffield?

I would go with your side below with Fellows instead of Wallace. Team selection for me will decide whether we make the play offs and whether we progress. The other biggest factor is - will the players bust a gut like the Hull players did against Ipswich? That’s part of the problem for me. In life you either want it or don’t!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    There’s some very short memories on here from some posters.

We were going down under Bruce and in a complete mess, this bloke came in and had an almost immediate effect and we nearly made the play offs.

He loses our supposedly best defender in the summer in O’Shea and we only bring in Maja of note and he then gets injured.

Dike then out for another season.

He’s brought Fellows through, do we really think Bruce or Pulis would’ve given Fellows his chance in recent years?

I think the more likely scenario is that Carlos will start to feel the bad vibes and he’ll walk.

How quickly we go from lauding him to slagging him off and wishing him gone.

He’s making some selections that are testing us as fans but that’s his call.

I think Shilen is a cool and sensible man and that he’ll want to retain Carlos.

Carlos deserves a summer with the new chairman and recruitment team to fashion his own squad, not have to make Bruce and Gourlay’s f u c k fest of recruiting work!

If we do well in the play offs let’s see if his head is still being called for after a Wembley final.
    Completely agree with this.

Problem is according to some, we're the worst team in the world after a defeat and the best after a win.

Ultimately, if we make the play offs I think its been a successful season. And if you offered me this position at the start of the season I would have snapped your hand off.

This is essentially the same squad that was bottom with Bruce.

Mowatt and Kipre were sent on loan, now both are in the running for POTS. Palmer was warming the bench. Fellows was in the under 23s. And we've been without a recognised stiker all season. Corberan has improved us, there's no question. I think he gets much more right than wrong.

There are some selections I have disagreed with, M'Villa on Saturday, Griffiths in the cup versus Wolves? But on the whole, he is an asset and who knows if we have a good couple of wins in the play offs where we could end up.

Just to add to this, Leeds have just been pumped 4-0 at QPR and are out of nick. Southampton have lost 3 on the bounce and got boo'd off on Saturday. Norwich have just drawn twice in home games they were expecting to win. No one is unsurmountable in the play offs, we all have our fragilities.

I'm hoping we play our strongest team on Saturday, because I don't think he did v Sheff Wed (maybe he was trying to give minutes to some players we might need in the play offs). And we have a good performance. I still think there's a great chance we make the play offs. If we finish 5th we play a woefully out of form Southampton in the semi final, if we finish 6th then we play a disappointed team who have just missed out on the autos.

I know it was disappointing to lose on Saturday, but I'm actually optimistic going into the last day and (hopefully) the play offs. Time for a glass half full approach!
    Last edited by WBA123; 29-04-2024 at 09:57 AM.

I think one player who should be starting for us is Swift. I think he is our best attacking central midfielder, and offers us more than Diangana. He's also one of our best set piece takers too.

Ajayi has been poor this season when he has played, in my view. I would play Bartley over him who has been reasonably solid all season.

So same team, but Fellows for Wallace, Bartley for Ajayi and Swift for Diangana.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Completely agree with this.

Problem is according to some, we're the worst team in the world after a defeat and the best after a win.

Ultimately, if we make the play offs I think its been a successful season. And if you offered me this position at the start of the season I would have snapped your hand off.

This is essentially the same squad that was bottom with Bruce.

Mowatt and Kipre were sent on loan, now both are in the running for POTS. Palmer was warming the bench. Fellows was in the under 23s. And we've been without a recognised stiker all season. Corberan has improved us, there's no question. I think he gets much more right than wrong.

There are some selections I have disagreed with, M'Villa on Saturday, Griffiths in the cup versus Wolves? But on the whole, he is an asset and who knows if we have a good couple of wins in the play offs where we could end up.

Just to add to this, Leeds have just been pumped 4-0 at QPR and are out of nick. Southampton have lost 3 on the bounce and got boo'd off on Saturday. Norwich have just drawn twice in home games they were expecting to win. No one is unsurmountable in the play offs, we all have our fragilities.

I'm hoping we play our strongest team on Saturday, because I don't think he did v Sheff Wed (maybe he was trying to give minutes to some players we might need in the play offs). And we have a good performance. I still think there's a great chance we make the play offs. If we finish 5th we play a woefully out of form Southampton in the semi final, if we finish 6th then we play a disappointed team who have just missed out on the autos.

I know it was disappointing to lose on Saturday, but I'm actually optimistic going into the last day and (hopefully) the play offs. Time for a glass half full approach!

I agree with you completely but the last seven games apart from patches have been woeful and team selections baffling. That’s not to say CC is not doing a great job overall - he is but many who go to the games say the same but equally they know he’s an asset. I still expected us around the play offs and why not as we bottled it last year so why wouldn’t we go one step further. Apart from the top four no one has a better squad than ourselves.

I will be there Saturday cheering the lads on but equally will get frustrated if we bottle it. For me a manager can only do so much! Did the players have the bottle and desire on Saturday? No so people are allowed to make comment especially those who spend a lot of money. That’s not to say people don’t love the Albion and Corberon - they do!

You mention Swift who can be a match winner so don’t disagree with you - he can also go missing a lot too! Difficult one!

Desire and bottle will drive us over the line. Have we got it? We will see!

We do have a good squad. Most managers would say that, do say it in fact. Like all teams though we have good spells and set backs. The fact that we are second for clean sheets shows that we have done better than most. We have lacked in the striker department but even then you hear things like “philogene has had a great season with 12 goals” which is exactly the same tally as Asante. A lot of teams have strikers who have scored around the same. As a team we do well for scoring goals all around the team. I’m just happy that this is my team, my club and that we now have some optimism around the place whatever happens this season now.

Carlos out…..clueless!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)