+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Talk of challenging for promotion is foolish

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
    Indeed.

Its clear that the day to day training of players has been shambolic for the last 18 months. Whatever happened to the medical, physio and fitness teams since Warne left once a proper look at.

The soft tissue injuries are bad ones, but its funny how we didnt have them anywhere near this level under any other manager bar Taylor - DESPITE the training ground being just as poo then. Worth noting, we lost more than just Warney.

The type of drills, where it was being done, what time it was being done etc. has been a cluprit. Thats obvious.
    Interestingly Bristol Rovers seem to be having similar problems and there is a significant "Taylor out" brigade on their forum.
    Some people will always say Warney was just a fitness coach but the reality is he knew what he was doing. Unfortunately the same can't be said of Taylor and he has inflicted deep-seated damage on the club and possibly wrecked the careers of some players.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    The beauty of Evo is he says it as it is and doesn't hold nothing back. Good or bad with this type of approach? I think it's good then all and sundry can truly hear/see what exactly is wrong at our club. I don't like all the PC/PR 'shut your gob' that Richardson daren't mention.

Get it all out there in the open before the close season begins, Evo recruits, Stewart sorts out facilities/training pitches out then sit back and hopefully let Evo get on with bringing results and happier times back to us all.
    That's only partly true Brin.
    Evo is renowned for saying what he thinks people want to hear.
    I'm not sure TS will be particularly enamoured about Evo insinuating that he has been misled.
    It's going to be an interesting close season.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    That's just Evo saying, 'Tony get your wallet ready'.

Also, maybe Evo was too hasty to say YES down the phone without first calling in to see the shambles we are currently in both on and off the pitch.

Stating promotion is a must is foolish indeed. We have no given right to think we can just waltz through League 1 to glory. Me thinks it's just sales patter for renewals or an old man's dream thinking Evo is the righteous saviour and all will be well now he's back.

I posted my thoughts earlier and I will be happy with a mid table/ just outside the play offs stabilised position. Follow this up with further team building the season after for a full on assault going for promotion in 2025/2026 and hopefully with a squad, should we get there, that can sustain itself in the Championship.
    For once you have actually wrote something I agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post
    SE post game interview yesterday was interesting - elements of a post mortem about it. ‘This squad would struggle in L1’ pretty damning and we’re just 25% of what it needs to be achieving L1 promotion and holding our own in the Champ - I liked MT as a person, but clearly ‘out of his depth on a damp pavement’ comes to mind when looking at what it takes to get/keep a club like ours where it has been this season
    He actually said “ that team would struggle in league 1” not squad

He also said “We're probably at 25 out of 100 for where we need to be at the start of next season”, no mention of promotion

Quote Originally Posted by NorthWestCorner View Post
    There are at least 4 players in the squad that would have got in either the Derby or Portsmouth starting eleven:

Victor
    Humphries
    Oddofin
    Rathbone

Then a few other who would have got in any of the playoff teams:

Hughill
    Nombe
    Bramall

So with a bit of Evans nouse and some investment I don’t expect us to be far away.
    You’ve not been listening, they are selling vik. And humps will want to go. The other two have been extended to ensure a fee.
    As for the other 3, you are having a laugh.

2 successive managers saying it is worse, and warne did before he left…..not hard to spot where the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by Millmoordays View Post
    2 successive managers saying it is worse, and warne did before he left…..not hard to spot where the problem is.
    You’d have thought that if it was that bad that PW would have left sooner than he did

Top 6 next season.

Least we can expect in my opinion. Tony has to provide Evo a healthy budget.

Reckon a lot depends on what we can get for Viktor.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    He actually said “ that team would struggle in league 1” not squad

He also said “We're probably at 25 out of 100 for where we need to be at the start of next season”, no mention of promotion
    Either way Grist, plenty of work to do over the coming months - let’s get stability and a good grounding in L1 first. Anything beyond that would be a bonus, but not much point in gunning for promotion if we bomb straight back down again

Quote Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post
    Either way Grist, plenty of work to do over the coming months - let’s get stability and a good grounding in L1 first. Anything beyond that would be a bonus, but not much point in gunning for promotion if we bomb straight back down again
    Agree entirely

We need to get back to basics, play 4-4-2, none of that wingback stuff, nor three at the back or false 9 crap

We need a rough, tough squad that plays the game in the opposition half of the pitch and can actually pass the ball to a team mate

Instead of teams and their supporters thinking “ whoopee were playing Rotherham next” we want them to think , “oh shyte it’s Rotherham next”

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast