+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The top 7

The top 7

Had a look and just worked out our record against the top 7 and it's absolutely shocking.. 3 wins, 2 draws and 9 defeats with a points haul of 11 from a possible 42... just shows how we fell so far short.. its all well and good beating Morcambe 5-0 but then we don't show up against any team that's even half decent...and our record against the bottom 2 is the stuff of horrors... 3 points from a possible 12 with 13 goals against to our 8 scored... some major summer surgery needed on our defence and midfield.

It’s not quite accurate to say we didn’t turn up against the top 7 - we played well away at Stockport, Wrexham and Mansfield, but lost by the odd goal each time. Crewe (where we also could have got something from the game) only won one more game than us, but drew 14 games. We’ve just got to become a lot harder to beat next season, which means having a stronger team both physically and mentally.

We were not great against the bottom 3 either ,won 2 lost 4

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    It’s not quite accurate to say we didn’t turn up against the top 7 - we played well away at Stockport, Wrexham and Mansfield, but lost by the odd goal each time. Crewe (where we also could have got something from the game) only won one more game than us, but drew 14 games. We’ve just got to become a lot harder to beat next season, which means having a stronger team both physically and mentally.
    I get what you're saying...I probably should of said we don't have the mentality to beat teams on a par or slightly better than us...its in those games that our truly class players seem to go hiding... look ill be honest and say a midtable finish is actually acceptable but just the way we folded in games makes it tougher to take.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    I get what you're saying...I probably should of said we don't have the mentality to beat teams on a par or slightly better than us...its in those games that our truly class players seem to go hiding... look ill be honest and say a midtable finish is actually acceptable but just the way we folded in games makes it tougher to take.
    I agree with you on both points - swap the two halves of the season around and we’d be feeling a lot more upbeat about next season. And when we needed our big players to step up, they didn’t (Macca got one goal in six games against the top three).

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I agree with you on both points - swap the two halves of the season around and we’d be feeling a lot more upbeat about next season. And when we needed our big players to step up, they didn’t (Macca got one goal in six games against the top three).
    I'm not going to fret about our record against the top 3 - they were all a cut above this season. And it's encouraging to think a poorer team will be joining them and next year 4 poorer teams than those three will go up.

I'm more wary of losing to all of the bottom 3 - to Sutton (twice), FGR and Colchester.

Our disastrous run took us from 6th to 14th. The club will have to track this carefully and make sure we're always top half next season because any repeat of that run could take us from 14th to 24th.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I'm not going to fret about our record against the top 3 - they were all a cut above this season. And it's encouraging to think a poorer team will be joining them and next year 4 poorer teams than those three will go up.

I'm more wary of losing to all of the bottom 3 - to Sutton (twice), FGR and Colchester.

Our disastrous run took us from 6th to 14th. The club will have to track this carefully and make sure we're always top half next season because any repeat of that run could take us from 14th to 24th.
    It’s a good point about the top 3, they really were too good for everyone else.

For the other 21 clubs, it was such a strange and unpredictable league, epitomised by Doncaster’s surge up the table and so many other teams’ good mini-spells before tailing off just when they got a whiff of the playoffs. Definitely nothing to fear for next season, except our failure to learn from this season’s many mistakes.