+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 2 up top

2 up top

There was a knock down in the 2nd half by Isak at the back post, down to Wilson who hit the ball sweetly.

Call me old fashion but I'd love to see us play a 4-4-2.

Gordon looked better down the right than the left today. Tip of the cap to Murphy for that through ball for the first Isak goal (showing his quality once again, very intelligent timing on the run for the through ball & cold as ice for the penalty as usual) however Gordon offers so much more as he prove when Harvey Barnes came on.

If we had Joelinton fit, I would love to see him in the midfield with Bruno, Gordon right, Barnes left, Isak floating in and around Wilson, dropping deep offering Wilson as a target man then spin off Wilson for the flick on.

Wilson drops for a ball over the top for Isak, Gordon to spring the defence with pace.

Last few games, bit of Shearer/Sir Les thrown back.

Aye, 2 up top is mint.

Yes and no for me.

I’m still a big Wilson fan, don’t think we will have the budget to bring in a replacement this summer that will bring his goal threat BUT don’t think his fitness/injury record supports him playing week in/week out.

Last season we got into CL spot for a number of reasons (imo)

A solid defence that was stable for the majority of the season

A midfield that played Bruno and Big Joe most of the season.

Miggy having his best spell ever, never seen before or since up front

Rotating between Isak and Wilson, keeping them (mostly) available… Wilson played in 30+ Prem games and having the rest for both, and having them compete against each other in a friendly way, brought out the best in both of them.

I think Isak is the future of our attack, clearly, but keeping him fit and sharp is going to be massive for us next season.

I’d like to see a third striker come in, keep Wilson, and bring that player up to speed with 2 strikers who will keep the pressure off that player while getting up to speed… Howe has a pattern of gradually introducing new players and I can’t disagree with the approach… Hojlund looks a real talent but has struggled for numerous reason and expectation/pressure has got to be one of the big reasons (imo)

I'd love to Isak up top with a number 10 floating behind him in a free role providing passes, touches, support. Kind of a Sheringham/Rebrov/Fabregas/Hagi/Laudrup/Baggio/Del Pierro type. Guessing the games different now but formations are really just numbers IMO. Players like these could easily adapt their game to todays 4/5/1, 3/5/2, 4/3/3.

..a player with the skills of Pedro would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sclox View Post
    ..a player with the skills of Pedro would be amazing.
    In a way, Isak isn't too far off that. Think of his assist for Murphy's goal against Everton.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    In a way, Isak isn't too far off that. Think of his assist for Murphy's goal against Everton.
    The more I see the more I believe he is the full package and a player to build a team around. He can pass, dribble, head, run with pace, great control, intelligent runs, scores easy and difficult goals. I called him Thierry Henry mark 2 the first game I watched him play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post
    There was a knock down in the 2nd half by Isak at the back post, down to Wilson who hit the ball sweetly.

Call me old fashion but I'd love to see us play a 4-4-2.

Gordon looked better down the right than the left today. Tip of the cap to Murphy for that through ball for the first Isak goal (showing his quality once again, very intelligent timing on the run for the through ball & cold as ice for the penalty as usual) however Gordon offers so much more as he prove when Harvey Barnes came on.

If we had Joelinton fit, I would love to see him in the midfield with Bruno, Gordon right, Barnes left, Isak floating in and around Wilson, dropping deep offering Wilson as a target man then spin off Wilson for the flick on.

Wilson drops for a ball over the top for Isak, Gordon to spring the defence with pace.

Last few games, bit of Shearer/Sir Les thrown back.
    I know what you are saying...love a good strike partnership.

But it doesn't really work in today's game because the midfield is instantly a 2 v 3 situation.

It can be done with a 5-3-2. Or combinations of 3 CB's. But we don't really have 3 CB's.

Plus, where does that leave Gordon and Barnes.

Okay, if we play 5 at the back then Gordon could play a deep 10 role.

Chasing a game is the only way I see them playing together.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobeshearer View Post
    I know what you are saying...love a good strike partnership.

But it doesn't really work in today's game because the midfield is instantly a 2 v 3 situation.

It can be done with a 5-3-2. Or combinations of 3 CB's. But we don't really have 3 CB's.

Plus, where does that leave Gordon and Barnes.

Okay, if we play 5 at the back then Gordon could play a deep 10 role.

Chasing a game is the only way I see them playing together.
    True enough. Formations are a case of ‘horses for courses’ and (obviously) one is not always superior to another. People who know far more about football than me say that the formation is not as important as many think and your set up when you have/don’t have the ball and the transition between the two is more so.

In our case I agree with the above. Instead of Shearer and Ferdinand we have two very good but more fragile strikers who (hopefully) have to play a lot of games in a season. Two up front should not be part of our ‘normal’ set up.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)