+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cap on players salaries in the Premiership

Cap on players salaries in the Premiership

Proposals being put forward that these are to be based on the average TV earnings of the bottom clubs.

Seems a fair starting point to me but guess who was first to oppose this plan.

No need to guess was there. It was MANURE.

Incidentally, Liverpool were for it.

I'm not for it..

The reason the PL is so strong is the ability to attract top players.. Limiting what all clubs can spend to the same just lets the top clubs who are already established stay where they are.. then if we can only offer the same wages as a mediocre London club can then because of location I fear they would choose London over Newcastle..

Just scrap FFP and let teams get on with it

Quote Originally Posted by Tutfoster1892 View Post
    I'm not for it..

The reason the PL is so strong is the ability to attract top players.. Limiting what all clubs can spend to the same just lets the top clubs who are already established stay where they are.. then if we can only offer the same wages as a mediocre London club can then because of location I fear they would choose London over Newcastle..

Just scrap FFP and let teams get on with it
    But quite a few of the lower placed clubs are offering big wages too.

Man CIty, Man Utd and Villa voted against it.

Chelsea abstained.

Will this happen before or after Man City are brought to task for their over spending ? (Tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Quote Originally Posted by Cannylad View Post
    Will this happen before or after Man City are brought to task for their over spending ? (Tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Aye, I wonder

It would come in the season after next, Man City's punishment will not have been implemented by then

I like it.

It means we get a big shot in the arm in terms of what we can spend, puts us on par with all the teams around and above us.

Given what we have been limited to spending we have massively punched, this gives us a lot more spending power immediately… we’ve just caught up with what City, Man Utd etc can spend… in fact given Man Utd debt and our backers it means we could well outspend them.

Existing stadium capacity, commercial deals, really means nothing to us if this is the limiting factor.

Yes they have the benefit of having spent big in the past, but there’s f**k all we can do about that.

To be fair I read this all wrong initially, from what I thought we could only spend what the bottom club earns in TV money..

When in fact I have since learned it could be X5 what they earn.. this would be better than I first understood

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)