+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Play offs

Play offs

Despite finishing 6th and being involved in yet another play off campaign, I've never known such a flat atmosphere around the club which is strange considering that these matches (play offs) bring with them a kind of fever pitch atmosphere and anticipation normally.

Speaking for myself, I can't really get myself motivated when normally I'd be licking my lips at such a prospect like the play offs and counting the days down.

Lads I've spoken to at work are also a bit subdued. The forums are not exactly full of optimism either. The fans turned up on Saturday but with what was at stake, again there was a subdued atmosphere inside Oakwell. Obviously the early kick off time didn't help but let's be perfectly honest, the display was poor and the recent run of bad performances and results as well as the decisions upstairs have destroyed the feel good factor that normally surrounds these occasions.

Having given it some thought, I think that despite our season, there's been much conflict between the fans with not only the style of football served up but the off field problems (the board) too.

Realistically looking at it, we are entering a cup competition with the prize of promotion obviously up for grabs. It's a totally separate entity. The fact it is just that is the only thing I can draw upon to gain any optimism.

Some are saying that they just want the season over with which kind of sums up the current mood. What do you guys think? Your thoughts please

I think we’ve all had it knocked out of us in the last couple of months, it doesn’t help when what’s let us down this season has been our home form. The points we’ve dropped at home are an embarrassment, fans have gone to the home games expecting us to lose before we kick off and that’s no good for creating a good atmosphere.

My interest in the club was practically extinguished once this consortium took over. They came for money and thats all. What transpired since their arrival has been well documented and we still await the penalty for their most recent feck up. How can you get enthused when your lifelong club are so badly run and are persistently on a treadmill going nowhere. Every summer is like groundhog day, manager and best players out, untested manager and cheap hopeful recruits in.

The fact they reached the play offs twice is commendable but if you cant get automatics out of a league as poor as this one this season its nothing to be overly cheerful about really.

Promotion should it arrive will be followed by a season of arseoylings in the championship so its difficult to get enthused. The prize at the end of the road is a poison chalice, the entertainment value is virtually nil each match day and there is no obvious hope or sign of anything changing. There are times when i turn iplayer off its so poor to watch and Im so grateful I havent paid for tickets to sit there and watch it live in the ground.

I didnt expect so many to share my feelings at this juncture but youre right Pass, the hope and excitement its a flat as a fart, fail in the playoffs and we step on the treadmill again with a season of dire football delivered with another intake of hopeful signings, or get promoted and wait for the inevitable.

Whats the point anymore?

We got our tickets today but in all honesty at this stage I am not really looking forward to it , I think the reality is that we all know we are light years off being a championship club, now come friday I might be a bit more upbeat but the last two seasons have been a lot better than getting walloped every week in the championship & deep down I actually fancy staying in this division as opposed to going up but if by some miracle we did make it then hey ho lets give it a go, we will see but Bolton are nailed on favourites to beat us & I have to admit that I am scared of getting humiliated over the two legs , the owners decision to sack the manager without a replacement is a joke & unfortunately the laugh is on us , I just cannot wait for them to move on & let us wipe the slate clean and start again .

I said a day or two ago apathy was a killer.

We have scraped into the Play Offs by virtue of one of Lincoln or Blackpool not winning on final day. For e few minutes we were out of the Play Offs when we were drawing 0-0 and both Oxford and Blackpool were winning. The key moment was when the Lincoln player slipped taking a penalty to put them 1-0 up. Fine margins.
    In early March there was talk of coming second. Our form since then has been shocking and has created a feeling that we have blown it before even kicking a ball in the Play Offs.

Add this poor form to the well rehearsed failings of Head Coach and the Board/ Senior Officers over recent years and it produces a general feeling of malaise, a general feeling that "summat's not reyt darn theear".

But who knows, a fluke goal or two, Bolton not quite at it, beating Oxford at Wembley and it's "Barns a lee, Barns a lee FC. We're the greatest football team the world has ever seen", "Oxford's a sh1thole, I want to go home" and "Eee I Eee I Eee I O, Up the Football League we go, We are Barnsley, We are Barnsley, Thalhammer is our King"

And then we fail to strengthen and get relegated.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 29-04-2024 at 03:35 PM.

Alternatively - I believe these directors are great.
    But unfortunately they have made a total mess of appointing the last HC.
    Which has cost them promotion (income) for the coming season.
    I’d like to find out how and why Collins was appointed in the first place.
    Total disaster.

But the directors go again.
    The club is financially sound and there’s £8.5 million generated from player transfers to be ploughed back into the club.

It’s been a terrible season.
    I’m positive next season will be much much better.
    Have faith.
    These directors are here for the long haul.
    They will get things right.

How many tickets are we allocating to Bolton this time around?

Are we playing silly buggers again and limiting the release and therefore revenue?

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Alternatively - I believe these directors are great.
    But unfortunately they have made a total mess of appointing the last HC.
    Which has cost them promotion (income) for the coming season.
    I’d like to find out how and why Collins was appointed in the first place.
    Total disaster.

But the directors go again.
    The club is financially sound and there’s £8.5 million generated from player transfers to be ploughed back into the club.

It’s been a terrible season.
    I’m positive next season will be much much better.
    Have faith.
    These directors are here for the long haul.
    They will get things right.
    What about your feelings on the upcoming play offs and the mood in and around the club?

I couldn't care less , I'm off to the Olympic Legacy Stadium to watch Sheffield Eagles v Wakefield Trinity on Friday night .

What ever happens , happens .

Really couldn't give a chuff which way it goes .

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    How many tickets are we allocating to Bolton this time around?

Are we playing silly buggers again and limiting the release and therefore revenue?
    What I found strange was the fact that we gave Bolton around 2500 tickets last season as a reciprocal gesture but didn't split the North stand (as it was designed to) to at least allow another 2000 tickets to be potentially sold to home supporters.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast