+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Luther Munakandafa

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Personally i think our academy is probably not money well spent (even if it is grant funded?). I would rather we study other academies across the UK and perhaps take up some of their rejects. I'm sure there are unpolished gems that will slip through the net. especially as it seems we aren't producing anything of Note !?

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Personally i think our academy is probably not money well spent (even if it is grant funded?). I would rather we study other academies across the UK and perhaps take up some of their rejects. I'm sure there are unpolished gems that will slip through the net. especially as it seems we aren't producing anything of Note !?
    I think we're just starting to see some fruits coming out of our academy again, after being set back years when the previous one was scrapped. Players like Brooks and Sanderson may not have truly broken into our first-team yet, but they're on the fringes and may be a sign of better things to come.

There's also the point that the academy allows us to reach into the local community and has a value beyond the number of first-team graduates it produces, in terms of promoting the Notts County brand and giving us a true connection with the grass roots and the school system.

Obviously I'd love to see us return to the days when Mick Walker's academy produced a steady stream of players into our first team at a level higher than we're playing now, but it will take time. We arguably also miss the 'bridge' between the youth team and the first team that used to be provided by proper, organised, competitive reserve team football - the Pontins League as was.