+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Not just something that happens in other countries?

Not just something that happens in other countries?

Corruption in football.

It was once something that people associated with Serie A or South American countries but there was always the view that it wasn't really endemic in England.

Just wondered what fellow masters think, now?

Is corruption endemic in English football?

When do you suspect it began ?

Has it always been corrupt?

Not sure that it’s endemic but I think there is some corruption and it’s growing

Started? Well around the time of the birth of the Premiership

We’ve seen a few players caught fiddling the betting, I reckon there are many more.

I also suspect that there are refs making money via a friendly “ agent” putting bets on red cards etc

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    Corruption in football.

It was once something that people associated with Serie A or South American countries but there was always the view that it wasn't really endemic in England.

Just wondered what fellow masters think, now?

Is corruption endemic in English football?

When do you suspect it began ?

Has it always been corrupt?
    I've a feeling it's always been there in some form or another. Maybe initially just players making a few extra 'bob' on bets etc., then chairmen getting creative with 'turnstile rotations' etc., but now it's at a whole new level, as GTTM points out, fueled by greed and the lure of the Premier League billions. Owners, players, agents, maybe officials and probably bookmakers all reaping ill gotten gains somehow. Not a case of 'everyone's at it' because I'm sure there are many who play it by the book.

Games have been thrown since professional football started in the 1880's.

All I would say to anyone replying to ibs post is be careful not to name any particular body so as to leave yourselves wide open to prosecution.

We all know the game is bad from top to bottom in some kind of way just be careful.

A number of players were caught, Peter Swan, David 'Bronco' Layne, Tony Kay
    for match fixing, former player Jimmy Gauld got 4 years in prison, fixing games.

Bruce Grobbelaar faced charges, for match fixing, Delroy Facey for conspiring to
    bribe players to fix matches.

Pretty sure Cloughie when he was manager of Derby, said a ref had been bought during the European Campaign.

Think it came to light years after.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    Pretty sure Cloughie when he was manager of Derby, said a ref had been bought during the European Campaign.

Think it came to light years after.
    It was during his time at Forest

https://www.theguardian.com/football...g-scandal-1984

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    That's a different one Grist.

The one I am talking about is from 1973. See link below of 5 great refereeing controversies.

https://news.paddypower.com/football...s-in-football/

Anything that involves money, power or control is corrupt, it is human nature to behave in such ways. We spend so much time trying to hurt each other one way or another, to steal resources, land or just control other people. The idea that football and the UK is any different is delusional