+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transfers this Summer

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Philips is a quality player at this level.

He was our player of the season up until getting injured.

I’ve always liked Phillips, a proper pro.

A good pro but when the days get colder he prefers the treatment room - every season!

He was good before injury but against Sheffield he was shuffling around as if he’d drank 8 pints of lager and 2 large pizzas!

We don’t have the luxury anymore of his wage pro rata to 50% of a season at best!

Its impossible to make any decisions until we know if we are going up or staying down. Our current squad is clearly at least adequate for the championship so if we stay down I don't expect much more than the usual annual tweaks with the squad plus at least one new striker, preferably two, if we can find them for the right money.
    If we somehow get promoted, the sad thing will be that most of the players who got us promoted will never be more than peripheral squad members in a premier league team so are ultimately expendable if we go up. Obviously, we will need to make some acquisitions if we are to stand any chance of staying up at all but making astute purchases will be the key. Of the current squad members, I actually think Diangana would rise to the occasion, Johnston may be good enough if we keep him, Palmer will do in goal, Fellows is still a work in progress, Mowatt I think would probably do a decent job - he is solid if not spectacular and is a pretty reliable passer, Swift and Wallace will have to do until we can find someone better, BTA is clearly not a premier league striker but could be useful coming on late to chase tired defenders and might bag five or six goals for us doing that, i would keep Kipre and Ajayi if only for back up but I think Bartley is rapidly reaching the end of his usefulness at the championship level so the premier league might be a bridge too far for him. Furlong might be ok in some role but is not a great defender. His long throw is pretty useful so keep him if just for that. As for the rest, not really good enough to keep but getting rid will very much depend on what we can afford to replace them with. What we must not do under any circumstances is do what Forest did and buy twenty five players who haven't really delivered the goods and get into financial trouble for doing so. I would rather come straight back down that do what Forest did, who may end up going down anyway and will be in deep, deep trouble if they do.

The way we carry on in the transfer market it’ll take us 10 years to sign 25 players, and most of them will be Dike, Grant, Kelly types

Quote Originally Posted by Bombers right foot View Post
    The way we carry on in the transfer market it’ll take us 10 years to sign 25 players, and most of them will be Dike, Grant, Kelly types
    You must be a joy to live with Bomber!

Quote Originally Posted by Calgarybaggy View Post
    Its impossible to make any decisions until we know if we are going up or staying down. Our current squad is clearly at least adequate for the championship so if we stay down I don't expect much more than the usual annual tweaks with the squad plus at least one new striker, preferably two, if we can find them for the right money.
    If we somehow get promoted, the sad thing will be that most of the players who got us promoted will never be more than peripheral squad members in a premier league team so are ultimately expendable if we go up. Obviously, we will need to make some acquisitions if we are to stand any chance of staying up at all but making astute purchases will be the key. Of the current squad members, I actually think Diangana would rise to the occasion, Johnston may be good enough if we keep him, Palmer will do in goal, Fellows is still a work in progress, Mowatt I think would probably do a decent job - he is solid if not spectacular and is a pretty reliable passer, Swift and Wallace will have to do until we can find someone better, BTA is clearly not a premier league striker but could be useful coming on late to chase tired defenders and might bag five or six goals for us doing that, i would keep Kipre and Ajayi if only for back up but I think Bartley is rapidly reaching the end of his usefulness at the championship level so the premier league might be a bridge too far for him. Furlong might be ok in some role but is not a great defender. His long throw is pretty useful so keep him if just for that. As for the rest, not really good enough to keep but getting rid will very much depend on what we can afford to replace them with. What we must not do under any circumstances is do what Forest did and buy twenty five players who haven't really delivered the goods and get into financial trouble for doing so. I would rather come straight back down that do what Forest did, who may end up going down anyway and will be in deep, deep trouble if they do.

Even if we stay in the championship a lot of these players are not good enough as seen in performances. Another season in and Bartley - Phillips and Reach will get worse not better and the injury issues won’t go away. Asante is not the answer in the championship let alone the Premier. Wallace too slow and not good enough now so hate to think of him in the premier.

Furlong and Townsend would get slaughtered in the premier! Only players who could do a job in the premier for me are Palmer - Fellows may be and Grady. Even Mowatt would be too slow.

Don’t think we will go up but Carlos has a big rebuilding job in the championship. Ipswich were promoted deservedly for a reason.

I do like the championship though as more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    You must be a joy to live with Bomber!

Bomber tells it like it is and difficult to disagree with most things as he’s spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Bomber tells it like it is and difficult to disagree with most things as he’s spot on.
    The cheques in the post AL😉

Seriously, our recruitment department hasn’t been very good over the last few seasons, I have little faith in them, hopefully I’m proved totally wrong.
    Oh for the halcyon days of Dan Ashworth

I feel that it really does depend on which division that we are in next season. While I would like to see us go up into the Prem. we would really struggle if we did. If we stay in the Championship I feel that if we retain certain players and recruit well we’ll be in a pretty strong position. It’s sad to feel like this but it’s the reality of the path that football has taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I feel that it really does depend on which division that we are in next season. While I would like to see us go up into the Prem. we would really struggle if we did. If we stay in the Championship I feel that if we retain certain players and recruit well we’ll be in a pretty strong position. It’s sad to feel like this but it’s the reality of the path that football has taken.
    We’re going to be clearing the wardrobe whichever division we’re in, the quality of replacement garment is going to be startlingly different dependent on the division.

We might be looking back at Bartley and Co wistfully be the end of August.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)