+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Windows 11

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

O/T:- Windows 11

Folk I know very little ref windows 11 and 10 at the moment I have 10 but keep getting a message to download 11
    is the 11 download good or not worth it yet
    don't laugh Im past being a know all ref computers etc.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 06-05-2024 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Fixed off topic prefix

In my opinion windows 11 is not worth the effort to install if you have windows 10.
    Eventually 10 will no longer be supported by windows, then you will be forced to migrate to 11 or receive no updates.
    I moved up to windows 11 about 12 months ago and have had a lot of conflicts with drivers not being able to operate some programmes.
    Of course there is also the Apple IOS system which is more or less faultless, but it comes at a price.
    Glad to help, thats if my opinion does!

I intend to stick with 10 until I'm forced to upgrade. Have not heard a single positive thing about 11 from friends who've "upgraded" to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    I intend to stick with 10 until I'm forced to upgrade. Have not heard a single positive thing about 11 from friends who've "upgraded" to it.
    Well all us Win10 people need to start saving up for a new machine, Win10 support stops in October 25. Daylight bloody robbery, effectively forcing people to upgrade. And I am sure I saw something about Windows no longer going to be a free installation on new PC's?

Been running Win 11 since it came out and have had zero problems with it. I guess we all have different experiences.

I'm an IT tech and I hate Win 11. There are so many tools in previous versions of windows that have been removed in Win 11. You can tell by looking at tit they are just copying the look from Mac OS. Give it a miss for as long as you can

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusCole View Post
    I'm an IT tech and I hate Win 11. There are so many tools in previous versions of windows that have been removed in Win 11. You can tell by looking at tit they are just copying the look from Mac OS. Give it a miss for as long as you can
    Time to setup a Linux club (on which Mac OS is based). Free, will do 90%-100% of what the average user* wants out of the box, automatic free updates, lots of choice of free software, extends the life of old and slow (under Windows) machines. Unfortunately not sold at your local PC stores (because it's free, no profit in it).

Disclaimer: I built a new desktop just over a year ago but installed an existing Win10 Pro licence on it. Prior to that I had made my old laptop dual boot, Linux and Windows but I had a couple of fairly Windows specific programs (apps in modern parlance) that I needed to run and it was just too much of a faff to make them run under Linux. My new machine has room for several drives so it really is just a matter of my getting the energy to do it. The machine is Win11 compatible but I'll wait.

Questions for Microsoft supporters:
    1) Windows 10 was claimed to be the last one. What happened
    2) Microsoft (or is that M$oft) push new versions on the basis of better security. They've done this for the past 30 years. Personally I think Win7 was the nicest. But when they bring new versions out why haven't they fixed the security issues that they need the next version for?

I would expect that the average home user just needs a browser, email program (unless using googlemail), and a photo/video app. This is where I spend 80% of my time. Win7 would still do that except standard browers and email software will no longer run, as neither readily to my old faithful MSDOS programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    I would expect that the average home user just needs a browser, email program (unless using googlemail), and a photo/video app. This is where I spend 80% of my time. Win7 would still do that except standard browers and email software will no longer run, as neither readily to my old faithful MSDOS programs.
    Well maybe. Gaming on Linux still mostly sucks, even if it has come a long way. And Libre Office is impressive but just not as good as MS Office for many things, and going back and forward between MS Office at work and Libre Office at home is painful.

The "live" part of live, work, play is very good on Linux (covering the browser, email, media playback etc.) but I've always found the "work" and "play" part too far behind Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by OchPie View Post
    Well maybe. Gaming on Linux still mostly sucks, even if it has come a long way. And Libre Office is impressive but just not as good as MS Office for many things, and going back and forward between MS Office at work and Libre Office at home is painful.

The "live" part of live, work, play is very good on Linux (covering the browser, email, media playback etc.) but I've always found the "work" and "play" part too far behind Windows.
    I'm retired so far too busy for gaming, my limit being WebSudoku.

Since I only have a 2002 work edition of MS Office then Libre Office is fine for me and I seem to oscillate between the two because of the amount of old files that I have. Though Libre Office does have its quirks and is not quite as intuitive.

The main thing I'd lose as far as I can recall is the use of Canon's RAW processing camera software which suits my purposes quite well. I'm not sure how well it would run under a VM on Linux and haven't the patience* to do a new install and try it out.

*How come now I have "time" on my hands am I always running out of patience? Anyone else? Minded to change my name to Victor.

My 'puter says "This PC doesn't meet the minimum requirements to run Windows 11". So what do I do? Buy a new computer?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast